Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AshtonVibe
  • 1 Post By That70sGAdawg
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bad battery life on HTC One m8

Everyone bas been talking about the great battery life on this phone, but I am usually at less than 40% after school, and dead by the early evening. I even woke up a few days ago, inplugged my phone and when I woke up 4 hours later I lost 35% battery.. with the screen off. I included a GSAM report

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad battery life on HTC One m8-10853.jpg  

Global Posts
    20,716 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Bad battery life on HTC One m8

Your cell signal doesn't look so great. That may be the bigger issue. A cell will kill itself to maintain even the weakest of signals.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have mobile data off and wifi on through most of the day

Even with mobile data off, a bad connection is a huge battery drain. After moving out of my dorm (my room had next to no connection) for the summer my battery life averages shot up by five or so hours.

Sent from my HTC One M8

IMO yes the battery life is kinda weak compared to the competition but I pretty much have some source of energy to charge my phone when I am not home.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Mackenroth View Post
    Everyone bas been talking about the great battery life on this phone, but I am usually at less than 40% after school, and dead by the early evening. I even woke up a few days ago, inplugged my phone and when I woke up 4 hours later I lost 35% battery.. with the screen off. I included a GSAM report

To be honest Josh, if you say under 40% after school, and dead by evening on a single charge, sounds like a good battery life. Say you get up at 7 am; then after school...we talking 3pm? So, that's 8 hours, 60% battery used, so 13.33% an hour add four more hours and dead at 7pm. That's 12 hours of moderate usage possibly. You can definately get more from this phone with battery life, believe me.

IAmSixNine likes this.

Global Posts
    20,716 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I have mobile data off and wifi on through most of the day

I was referring to the voice signal. That being so low will cause the phone to search for any signal no matter how weak.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AshtonVibe View Post
    To be honest Josh, if you say under 40% after school, and dead by evening on a single charge, sounds like a good battery life. Say you get up at 7 am; then after school...we talking 3pm? So, that's 8 hours, 60% battery used, so 13.33% an hour add four more hours and dead at 7pm. That's 12 hours of moderate usage possibly. You can definately get more from this phone with battery life, believe me.

That would be 7.5% per hour, just fyi. But anyway, I see a bunch of people talking about how they get through at least a day and a half with moderate use, that's probably why this battery life doesn't seem great.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Another battery thread...
    The battery on my M8 is the best of any phone I've ever had with same usage including iPhone 5S, and the original M7 One.
    puch96 likes this.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by That70sGAdawg View Post
    Another battery thread...
    The battery on my M8 is the best of any phone I've ever had with same usage including iPhone 5S, and the original M7 One.
    What kind of stats do you get? Some, including myself, have been getting poor battery life (2-3 hours of screen time), hence the threads.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Your cell connection seems to be the culprit. That percent of much higher than I normally see.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I'm having the same issue. Brand new HTC One M8 - Struggles to last one full day!
    Is this normal?Bad battery life on HTC One m8-screenshot_2014-08-28-23-07-42.jpgBad battery life on HTC One m8-screenshot_2014-08-28-23-07-19.jpg

Those people talking about getting great battery are doing so because they're in fact getting great battery life, for them. That doesn't mean that some devices won't get great battery life. That's the risk we take when we purchase electronics. There are always a few that won't reach the standard. If you're within your return window, exchange it. If not, seek out battery saving tips.

For Starters, from your screen shot you don't have Power Savings mode on. That will help out a lot. Especially your screen off/standby times. It also has minimal effects on your user experience in the time I've used it. You should at least have CPU power and Data connection checked. Vibration checked has minimal impact and check Display if you are indoors a lot. I find having it on when I'm outside the screen isn't bright enough.