Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By darryjr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Having Hell with M8 Keyboard

Im brand new to HTC products im usually the galaxy guy and the ATT rep convinced me that the ONE M8 would be the way to go today since my S4 got stolen last night ... however i am generally pleased with the device i was wondering if anyone else has issues with the keyboard in portrait orientation. Long story short the HIGHLY used keys on the left side of my keyboard will not recognize my input using my left thumb... i have to literally take my right thumb across the device to input the E, R, T, and sometimes even S keys... is this something I am doing wrong or does anyone else have issues like this ( seems like its almost not sensitive enough to read the input or something i can hit it 100 times with my left thumb and nothing but hit it once with my right and it takes it )... When i turn to landscape to type it seems to do alright but my habits usually keep me in portrait so this is a real irritant if you can imagine. Any thoughts at all or anyone else have a fix for this? Considering returning to the store tomorrow to explain my grievance. Side note... I have tried different keyboards from the play store with the same issue...

Default Re: Having Hell with M8 Keyboard

Have you tried tapping in those exact place doing other things with your left thumb? I have found this phone to have one of the most sensitive and accurate touchscreens I've owned.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Mark sure no part of your hand is touching the screen. I made that mistake the first few days. Screen is active all the way to edges.

Sent from my HTC One M8
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have tried hitting it to do other things... and it seems fine its just when texting... per Geezerb i just tried to text and made sure my hands were well off the device edges and that did seem to help a bit... perhaps this is the issue... if it continues to help i may have to find a new way to hold the device in or something in order to keep my hands off the screen and make it work correctly.... i think when i reach for those keys my hand must roll onto the screen some or something and keep it from recognizing that input... i will work with it a bit tonight and see what happens thanks for the quick input guys

swiftkey

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    dty06 

Get yourself a minimal case that covers the edge with a slight elevation. This keeps your fingers from making contact.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Silly question ,but have you gone into keyboard settings and calibrated it?
    bgj1010 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have not ... didnt know you could. I think its my hand rolling onto the screen as stated above but the way i hold the device its difficult not to do that ... any tips on how to keep my hands on this massive screen when texting? ill post a pic in a bit of how i tend to hold my devices while texting and see if anyone has any tips or tricks ... also the case was a good idea i may have to do that
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ok did the calibration and even during that the letter T gave me a big of trouble... its gotta my my fat hands causing the issue screen touch test shows all the pixels in that area are active as well so everything device-wise should be fine just my big fat hands it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by HTC_Newbie14 View Post
    ok did the calibration and even during that the letter T gave me a big of trouble... its gotta my my fat hands causing the issue screen touch test shows all the pixels in that area are active as well so everything device-wise should be fine just my big fat hands it seems...
    Just buy a case that's elevated above the screen on the sides. I use the Spigen Slim Armor case, as do a lot of other folks on here, and it's a great case that keeps the beautiful design of the device intact. It may help you keep your hands off the screen on the sides. Plus it's a good idea to protect a phone like this anyway. No way I want to damage my beautiful brand-new phone.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I agree with that ... the phone itself is super sleek and amazing cosmetically. Any ideas where I can get one of those cases for a good price? I had to spend all my savings yesterday just to get the phone pretty much since my old one was stolen i had no upgrade available and had to pay full retail cost for my M8 pretty much broke the bank....

Quote Originally Posted by HTC_Newbie14 View Post
    I agree with that ... the phone itself is super sleek and amazing cosmetically. Any ideas where I can get one of those cases for a good price? I had to spend all my savings yesterday just to get the phone pretty much since my old one was stolen i had no upgrade available and had to pay full retail cost for my M8 pretty much broke the bank....
    This is actually a very cheap case. You can buy it on Amazon.com or NewEgg.com and it's usually about $15 (NewEgg has free shipping, or at least did a week ago when I bought it). Check the thread on cases in the accessories sub-forum on here, or the thread specifically about the Spigen Slim Armor case. There's a lot of people here that have it and most have really liked it, however it does block the IR blaster (for using the phone as a TV remote), making that feature not work with the case on. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it may be for some others.

Quote Originally Posted by dty06 View Post
    This is actually a very cheap case. You can buy it on Amazon.com or NewEgg.com and it's usually about $15 (NewEgg has free shipping, or at least did a week ago when I bought it). Check the thread on cases in the accessories sub-forum on here, or the thread specifically about the Spigen Slim Armor case. There's a lot of people here that have it and most have really liked it, however it does block the IR blaster (for using the phone as a TV remote), making that feature not work with the case on. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it may be for some others.
    I found the Spigen Ultra Hybrid to be the best case for my needs. Got it on Amazon for $14

Quote Originally Posted by Geezerb View Post
    I found the Spigen Ultra Hybrid to be the best case for my needs. Got it on Amazon for $14
    Check out the Griffin Reveal. I have it and it's awesome. Clear TPU to show off this beautiful device. It made the list of "Best Cases for HTC One M8" and I got it for less than $25 even with 2-Day FedEx delivery. I needed it sooner than later, and NO stores carry ANY clear cases for our devices. Very happy with my decision on the device (it's NOT a phone, so please don't use that term too loosely around here :P) and the Griffin case...
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15