soul destroying caller ID issue

MavrikPutag

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Brand new M8, sms messages show numbers but not names. That number below is saved in the phone. In the exact same format. Screenshot_2014-06-09-11-39-35.jpg

Same is true for calls. These are all for names saved on the phone. I get in excess of 50 calls a day and double the number of messages. Reading Deepak Chopra can only keep me calm for so long.

Now I know where serial killers come from. This is a call for rescue. From the dark. Help. Please

aquatichedgehog

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
it may be you have multiple contact entries one with a name, and one without, and the phone is defaulting to the entry without an associated name. You can merge contacts from the people app, which should convince the phone to display the associated name. There should be an option in people->manage contacts->merge contacts to do this automatically.

MavrikPutag

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I checked, no multiple entries. The same set of google contacts have travelled from s3 to s4 and now to m8. Never had any trouble before. The perks of having the best phone in the world, no one knows how to fix the problem, not even the HTC guys themselves. :'(

blink1me82

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Brand new M8, sms messages show numbers but not names. That number below is saved in the phone. In the exact same format. View attachment 122354

Same is true for calls. These are all for names saved on the phone. I get in excess of 50 calls a day and double the number of messages. Reading Deepak Chopra can only keep me calm for so long.

Now I know where serial killers come from. This is a call for rescue. From the dark. Help. Please

Delete the contact and add the number again as a new contact. I think this is how I resolved the issue.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

MavrikPutag

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
It's happening to all the contacts on my phone. That's about 2700. Out of which atleast 400 or so are regularly used. Thanks for the reply blink1me82 but i dont think thats a viable option.

As a last ditch effort, i have downloaded a third party sms app (textra). now i only have to find something for the caller id problem.

After about 48 hours of googling the daylights out of the problem here's what i've found out. This problem does happen. And it happens most frequently to HTC devices. I know HTC is probably a great device, but honestly this is pathetic. There are whole forums full of people saying "i have an htc and i have that same problem". And every thread ends with people installing third party apps.

That's bad. And HTC should feel bad about this.

bobniborg

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
This is no help but I have the same issue. I'll save a text contact and then it's not there when I search contacts. But if I type in the number in the to box of the text it shows up. It's a pain.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Are the contacts in Google? Hmm. Are you using an imported phone or something? Provider? Sim card inside phone? Just trying to troubleshoot.

Posted via Android Central App

MavrikPutag

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Have you called customer assistance? Just curious..

I did call them. They offered two solutions. 1. Change from a post-paid sim to a pre-paid sim. 2. Do a factory reset.

Both have absolutely nothing to do with the problem. I thought he was next going to ask me to try shifting to a protein heavy diet and see if it helps.

mjnissim

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I've had this issue and battled it for a month! In the end I downloaded Contacts+ and it solved the problem. I didn't even expect it to, but it worked! SMS and callers identified properly.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech