Got my M8 today. It's crashed about 40 times (and counting!)

Scott Maple

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I picked up my M8 today - it's great, but before I'd even set up all my accounts it crashed (sudden reboot). :-\

And it crashed again. :(

and again. :'(

and again. :mad:

I put it on the desk, I wasn't even doing anything with it, and every so often it would crash.

When I got home I installed a software update. It seemed more stable, but then I noticed that when I left the phone 'asleep', when I returned to it, it had switched itself off. Double-tapping the screen caused a reboot.

I did a factory reset, then reloaded all my apps and accounts etc.

Still no change, it goes to sleep and switches off. Reboots. Sends error log to HTC.

A check of the battery showed that the most amount of use was Google. In the short time I've had it that seems reasonable.

I have been told to try charging it for 6 hours so I'm doing that just now. However I wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem and more importantly, did they find a solution?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I picked up my M8 today - it's great, but before I'd even set up all my accounts it crashed (sudden reboot). :-\

And it crashed again. :(

and again. :'(

and again. :mad:

I put it on the desk, I wasn't even doing anything with it, and every so often it would crash.

When I got home I installed a software update. It seemed more stable, but then I noticed that when I left the phone 'asleep', when I returned to it, it had switched itself off. Double-tapping the screen caused a reboot.

I did a factory reset, then reloaded all my apps and accounts etc.

Still no change, it goes to sleep and switches off. Reboots. Sends error log to HTC.

A check of the battery showed that the most amount of use was Google. In the short time I've had it that seems reasonable.

I have been told to try charging it for 6 hours so I'm doing that just now. However I wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem and more importantly, did they find a solution?
Welcome to Android Central :)
It sounds like you got a lemon. I'd return it as you are still within the two week return period.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
as said, I wouldn't waste anymore time trouble shooting and return it, this really is great device

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
In agreement with the above, just a lemon. Sounds like bad memory or something else hardware related. Swap it out and prepare to enjoy the awesome.

Sent from my HTC One (m8) using Tapatalk

Scott Maple

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for the tips, that is what I'll do because it's driving me insane.

I did a vanilla install last night, even with none of my apps on board it crashed.

It seems to be HTC sense. Every time HTC sense says it wants me to authorise, (e.g . logging into Facebook for the first time) the phone freezes then reboots.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This is the second post I've seen today where someone got the phone, and minutes later had issues with it. Instead of taking it back they come to this forum and post their issue.

WHY??!! I don't get it.

No offense to the OP, but if I buy something, then it doesn't work when I walk out of the store, I'm going back to where I got it. I'm not going to go home, creating an account on AC, then post my problem.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This is the second post I've seen today where someone got the phone, and minutes later had issues with it. Instead of taking it back they come to this forum and post their issue.

WHY??!! I don't get it.

No offense to the OP, but if I buy something, then it doesn't work when I walk out of the store, I'm going back to where I got it. I'm not going to go home, creating an account on AC, then post my problem.

Because sometimes you can find the fix without making the trip back to the store. Thats what the forums are for.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Did you happen to try and root it or anything? Just curious. Sounds bizarre a phone would act that sporadic out of the box, but crazier things have happened.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott Maple

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, for the record, this came by mail from my insurer so it was not possible to simply return it to the shop.
Also, I had to wait a day for the insure to contact me and ask the usual questions before agreeing that they should replace it.
So I figured I would use the downtime to make sure this wasn't a known issue for which there was a fix. As Raymaane said, that's what the forms are for.

Anyway, it looks like a replacement is en route and I will do a straight swap with the courier.

Stroll on tomorrow because apart from the obvious problem this phone rocks!