Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default M8 Unlocked vs. AT&T Carrier branded model- Which should I purchase?

I'm wanting to get an M8. Should I get an unlocked one from Amazon or HTC or get the carrier branded model? Are the radios that come on the unlocked version going to support all the necessary AT&T bands? I read what is included on each model and I think they make it confusing on purpose by leaving things off. Thoughts?
    Thanks

Default Re: M8 Unlocked vs. AT&T Carrier branded model- Which should I purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by lmmky View Post
    I'm wanting to get an M8. Should I get an unlocked one from Amazon or HTC or get the carrier branded model? Are the radios that come on the unlocked version going to support all the necessary AT&T bands? I read what is included on each model and I think they make it confusing on purpose by leaving things off. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    The unlocked version will fully work on att.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    lmmky 

Default Re: M8 Unlocked vs. AT&T Carrier branded model- Which should I purchase?

I got the unlocked version from Amazon for AT&T and it works as advertised.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    lmmky 

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

i'm in the same boat! i'm leaning towards the unlocked from amazon because i always have a hard time trying to keep my unlimited data plan when i get a new phone from AT&T. such a hassle! it might be nice to see a phone without that carrier bloatware too.

Unlocked and developers edition share the same radios as ATT model. Double check but they show the same.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

I have the unlocked developer edition on att and the two biggest advantages are, I get the latest software directly from HTC and I get wifi hot spot functionality without rooting or signing up for it with AT&T.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

hey! I had one more question about this topic. how does att's visual voicemail work on the unlocked version? can you download the att visual voicemail app or use a 3rd party?

I use google voice works well for VM

On the M8, Visual Voicemail is built into the stock Messages app as part of Sense. You cannot install the AT&T Visual Voicemail app from the Play Store as it's listed as not compatible. If Visual Voicemail is part of Sense I would imagine it works regardless of carrier but I may be wrong.

You can try Google Voice, but I find the setup and use cumbersome and who knows how much longer the service will be around (in its current form at least)
    Thanked by:
    holz75