Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
06-11-2014 09:48 AM
8 replies
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default M8 Unlocked vs. AT&T Carrier branded model- Which should I purchase?

I'm wanting to get an M8. Should I get an unlocked one from Amazon or HTC or get the carrier branded model? Are the radios that come on the unlocked version going to support all the necessary AT&T bands? I read what is included on each model and I think they make it confusing on purpose by leaving things off. Thoughts?
    Thanks

Default Re: M8 Unlocked vs. AT&T Carrier branded model- Which should I purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by lmmky View Post
    I'm wanting to get an M8. Should I get an unlocked one from Amazon or HTC or get the carrier branded model? Are the radios that come on the unlocked version going to support all the necessary AT&T bands? I read what is included on each model and I think they make it confusing on purpose by leaving things off. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    The unlocked version will fully work on att.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    lmmky likes this.

Default Re: M8 Unlocked vs. AT&T Carrier branded model- Which should I purchase?

I got the unlocked version from Amazon for AT&T and it works as advertised.

Posted via Android Central App
    lmmky likes this.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

i'm in the same boat! i'm leaning towards the unlocked from amazon because i always have a hard time trying to keep my unlimited data plan when i get a new phone from AT&T. such a hassle! it might be nice to see a phone without that carrier bloatware too.

Unlocked and developers edition share the same radios as ATT model. Double check but they show the same.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts

I have the unlocked developer edition on att and the two biggest advantages are, I get the latest software directly from HTC and I get wifi hot spot functionality without rooting or signing up for it with AT&T.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

hey! I had one more question about this topic. how does att's visual voicemail work on the unlocked version? can you download the att visual voicemail app or use a 3rd party?

I use google voice works well for VM

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

On the M8, Visual Voicemail is built into the stock Messages app as part of Sense. You cannot install the AT&T Visual Voicemail app from the Play Store as it's listed as not compatible. If Visual Voicemail is part of Sense I would imagine it works regardless of carrier but I may be wrong.

You can try Google Voice, but I find the setup and use cumbersome and who knows how much longer the service will be around (in its current form at least)
    holz75 likes this.