Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Default Weird purple splotch on my screen

Love my M8, love everything about it... but when the screen is displaying something particularly dark or black, there is a strange, very faint purple splotch on the screen. Its not so bothersome that I want to get it replaced, its just annoying that its not perfect. Its so faint, I have to be in a pretty dim room to see it.

I'm not sure why but when I took a picture of my screen with my Nexus 7 (attached) it shows up much brighter than I'm seeing it with my eyes, maybe the nexus 7 camera is more purple sensitive because under the lighting conditions I took the picture in, I could really barely see it. Weird purple splotch on my screen-img_20140611_152026.jpg

Anyone else getting this splotch?

Default Re: Weird purple splotch on my screen

Do you have a screen protector? If a camera can 'see it' and you can't, it's usually because of polarization effects on the lenses. Of course it could be a 'leaking' LCD panel, but I've seen these blotches more often in screen protectors.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Do you have a screen protector? If a camera can 'see it' and you can't, it's usually because of polarization effects on the lenses. Of course it could be a 'leaking' LCD panel, but I've seen these blotches more often in screen protectors.
    Doesn't look like he has a screen protector.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrWu View Post
    Love my M8, love everything about it... but when the screen is displaying something particularly dark or black, there is a strange, very faint purple splotch on the screen. Its not so bothersome that I want to get it replaced, its just annoying that its not perfect. Its so faint, I have to be in a pretty dim room to see it.

I'm not sure why but when I took a picture of my screen with my Nexus 7 (attached) it shows up much brighter than I'm seeing it with my eyes, maybe the nexus 7 camera is more purple sensitive because under the lighting conditions I took the picture in, I could really barely see it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140611_152026.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	472.3 KB 
ID:	122815

Anyone else getting this splotch?
    I would probably get that replaced. Maybe HTC advantage can make that happen. Who knows how much worse that can get.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Nope no screen protector. And it only shows up when the screen is on and black. Like right now as I type this the background is white and it is solid and uniform, with no purple splotch. But if I pull down the notification bar to make the screen black, the splotch is there.. Because of this I don't think it's "leaking" but maybe I'll call HTC anyway.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

I should also note, the splotch gets brighter and dimmer along with the rest of the screen if I change the display brightness

Easy answer, replace it. How long have you had it?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrWu View Post
    I should also note, the splotch gets brighter and dimmer along with the rest of the screen if I change the display brightness

Yeah, then that means it's a panel malfunction. If you're still under warranty, just get it replaced and save yourself the trouble. If it's no longer under warranty and you can live with it, then just try not to notice? Hehehe... But if it's defective, chances are it will get worse over time, so maybe you won't mind about it now, but it may grow larger or more noticeable on non-black images.