Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UseAndroid86
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default YouTube hd videos

Just bought the m8 and trying to figure out why YouTube videos look "not hd", even when I search hd 1080p videos... Under the YouTube settings it only shows up to 720p. On all of my other phones the YouTube videos look a lot better. Is it the new YouTube app or my phone? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: YouTube hd videos

To my knowledge the YouTube app will only go up to 720p... Been that way for awhile.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S6 (32 GB) using AC Forums.

It's the YouTube app. They only allow you to go up to 720p HD. It might be fixed in a future update, who knows, but if you want 1080p or higher, you'd have to be on a laptop, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by lyriciss View Post
    It's the YouTube app. They only allow you to go up to 720p HD. It might be fixed in a future update, who knows, but if you want 1080p or higher, you'd have to be on a laptop, it seems.
    Or use something like TubeMate (from the Amazon app store) to download higher quality rate videos directly to the phone.. Then watch em. .

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I wonder why the videos look of lesser quality compared the g2 and the DNA. It's a huge difference. Like on the DNA I type in "1080p video" on YouTube and the video looks like bluray quality in fact all of the videos do. If I go on vevo the music videos look amazing but if I go to the same exact videos on the m8 it's like I'm using my old Evo . It's that big of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by UseAndroid86 View Post
    I wonder why the videos look of lesser quality compared the g2 and the DNA. It's a huge difference. Like on the DNA I type in "1080p video" on YouTube and the video looks like bluray quality in fact all of the videos do. If I go on vevo the music videos look amazing but if I go to the same exact videos on the m8 it's like I'm using my old Evo . It's that big of a difference.

I'm not sure. Maybe try clearing the app cache? I've never heard of an issue like that.

Are you ensuring HD is toggled?

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I don't see the hd toggle like I used to on my other phones.

Open YouTube, menu - settings -General - then check, high quality on mobile.

Or, while watching a video, click on it, hit the menu button (upper right side). HD should be 'glowing', if not then click it. :-)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

That's what I usually do on my past phones but I don't have the option in the settings anywhere. I thought maybe the app was messed up so I uninstalled updates and checked the oldest version of YouTube that I could but still no option. I then redownloaded the updates and still no luck. Something isn't right. It won't let me completely uninstall either.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Ah ha. Fixed it. I tried uninstalling updates again and then I cleared all cache and force stopped and disabled then reinstalled updates and finally saw the option. Weird. It must have been the cache clearing or something. Doesn't make any sense but it works now. Thanks for the effort though.

Thanked by 2:
    Almeuit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UseAndroid86 View Post
    Ah ha. Fixed it. I tried uninstalling updates again and then I cleared all cache and force stopped and disabled then reinstalled updates and finally saw the option. Weird. It must have been the cache clearing or something. Doesn't make any sense but it works now. Thanks for the effort though.

Glad it's working again!