Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stock mail app and spam folders

Is there a way to have the stock mail app split my Yahoo inbox and spam folders? Just got the M8 (online pictures don't do the Verizon red version justice, btw!) and noticed a ton of spam in my main inbox, including dated from before moving phones. When looking around, I noticed I have no separate spam/bulk folder in the stock app like my last phone. It appears those emails are being retrieved from the server, but inserted into the phone's general inbox. Any way to split them like they should, and perhaps skip syncing the spam all together?

Default Re: Stock mail app and spam folders

I'd like to know this also. Really hate having to delete all the junk mail that is automatically going into the spam folder on my server, but is still being pushed to my phone.

I JUST DONT USE THE STOCK APP.
    I use cloudmail, and yahoo apps
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Harris View Post
    I JUST DONT USE THE STOCK APP.
    I use cloudmail, and yahoo apps
    I know that's an option, but I'd prefer not to install additional apps if there's a work around for the stock equivalents.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

HUZZAH!

Ok, I figured this out. Go into the mail app and pick an account you want to change. Then go to settings > account settings. At the top, change protocol from "pop" to "imap." Then scroll down to the server box and change it to " imap.mail.yahoo.com". Click next to get to the outbound settings. I didn't have to change anything there and click next again. It'll notify you that the changes require the account to be deleted and added back. Ok that and let it re-sync the new account. You should now only see the inbox mail in the main screen, and going to settings > Folder should list all of your folders, including any custom folders you have. You'll have to do this for each Yahoo account you have.

For reference:

Thanked by:

This tip works beautifully. Thanks, Mooncatt for digging into this--no more spam!!

HUZZAH! Thank you so much for the information given on how to automatically delete spam from yahoo email on my HTC one M8. I followed your directions to the tee and it worked. Thank you for being precise and your explanation on how to do it was easy to follow. I did what you said and all the spam e mails were gone. Now my inbox on my computer is the same on my phone. You are a genius. Thank again,

Renee1004