Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mooncatt
  • 1 Post By ugxvibe
  • 1 Post By Bangkok Hound
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default swype lagging and missing words

I've been using Swype for a while now, and I've never really had any problem with it lagging or missing words, but on my m8 it does. I have it on my nexus 7 tablet and it doesn't happen there, so I know it's not just me.

If I'm swyping quickly, it'll take so long to process one word, that by the time it's ready again I've already swyped a second word that gets missed and it goes straight to the third word. Anyone found a solution?

Default Re: swype lagging and missing words

I had that exact problem on my last phone but it's smooth as silk on my M8. What I suspect, and I never got around to testing this, is it was related to my ram being so full that the phone was constantly killing and restarting apps to keep from running out of memory, thus inducing lag across the whole system. Restarting the phone so apps didn't have so much data built up helped for a while until the ram started getting filled to capacity again.

So if you haven't already, try restarting and see if that makes it better, if only for a short time. If you're a heavy user, you may want to check your ram usage to see if it's pushing the limits. I know on Android, free memory is wasted memory. The problem is when you only have 1 GB like my last phone, and over 1 GB worth of apps are fighting for that space.

Btw, I was starting to think I was the only Swype user on this phone. Lol
    Last edited by Mooncatt; 06-15-2014 at 08:37 PM.
    oditius likes this.

I am an avid Swype user as well. Been a Swype fanboy since early beta. Love using Dragon as well..
    Have not had any lag issues here. Sounds like Mooncatt has a good idea there.
    Current Device(s):
    Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
    Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-Off
    oditius likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post

Btw, I was starting to think I was the only Swype user on this phone. Lol
    You are not alone. And for the record, I have no issues with Swype on the M8.
    oditius likes this.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts

I too also like Swype.. Was using the beta when it first came out...
    Oditius (Samsung Galaxy S5 Active w/AT&T & Dell Venue Pro II 128GB Tab)
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Wife says I am spending too much time on computer.

But I do stop when I go to bed, so it's not like I spend 24/7 on it!!!

SwiftKey is a good alternative if you are having issues. That's what I use and it's awesome.

Swype here as well, though I am trying swiftkey out this week with the number bar... putting that extra tall phone to good use there. Swiftkey does not seem as accurate with the typing, but I am getting used to it. Not nearly as good word correction either, or I am doing it wrong- Swype way better in that area.

I would clear data on Swype, or uninstall and reinstall it. Make sure you disable the other keyboards you are not using and turn off the Android spell checker per Swype tips. If that does not do the trick, try the stock keyboard to see if it is any different... Swype should not be causing any performance problems on an M8.

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zakappel View Post
    I've been using Swype for a while now, and I've never really had any problem with it lagging or missing words, but on my m8 it does. I have it on my nexus 7 tablet and it doesn't happen there, so I know it's not just me.

If I'm swyping quickly, it'll take so long to process one word, that by the time it's ready again I've already swyped a second word that gets missed and it goes straight to the third word. Anyone found a solution?
    I recommend SwiftKey. Although the commenter above me noted that he or she is not satisfied with the word prediction, it gets better as it learns what you generally like to type. This takes some time, but mine has completely adjusted to my court and attorney lingo, which Swype and my former iPhone 4 keyboard failed on. The cloud integration of your typing style between devices is nice, too. Basically, your word prediction will carry over between devices.

I have not had any problems with SwiftKey on my M8 and highly recommend you try it since it is free anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

I've noticed an intermittent lag with Swype on my M8 as well. I am a huge fan of Swype and find it works much more smoothly than other keyboards which attempt to do the same. I've tried SwiftKey repeatedly for example and find it just isn't as good - at least for me. I want to like SwiftKey as I think it looks great and has some nice features - but the 'swyping' is what I really need a keyboard for and the Swype on Swype is just plain better.

Anyway, I read the post which recommends turning off Android spell check which I just did, so hopefully that will show some benefit.

Any other advice? It is really badly lagging on occasion where you can see the line which traces your finger swyping really slowing down and words don't come as they should. I'm not sure what is up? I emailed the developer and received a reply but nothing concrete yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Preformer19 View Post
    SwiftKey is a good alternative if you are having issues. That's what I use and it's awesome.
    Swiftkey can't hold a candle to Swype, it's often wrong in typing, and it will not let YOU run letter and number combinations in the dictionary you can't Swype M9 on swiftkey. I haven't used it in a long time, but there's several other issues with it.

Posted via the Android Central App