HTC One M8 GPS/Compass/Sky Map

cookan

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
at least this rules out any carrier specific firmware mods..it's also worth approaching a high street outlet if your supplier has one. Carphonewarehouse said the HTC reps visit every couple of weeks so they would raise it with them...worth tackling it from multiple angles as until I have a response from my ticket there's no guarantee it's even on the todo list at head office...can't get any status from HTC live other than it's been escalated to head office.

ptp170

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I'll get my Carphone Warehouse contact to do the same as well :)

EDIT: My contact said he hasn't seen the HTC rep for a couple of years in his store!

ptp170

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Just to let the Carphonewarehouse customers know. The 28 day replacement clock gets reset with each NEW device you get as a replacement. So I will be returning mine just before each 28 day expires in the hope I will get on from a new batch that works...

Not looking foward to the pain of having to setup each new device each time though :(

Mike Lippmann

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Strangely, I pulled up GPS Status app in my car. Compass worked perfectly while moving and then froze when I stopped. Anyone else notice this behavior?

Griffin Walter

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday, I took my M8 navigate my home to my friend, it's clear to navigate the right place, no wrong.
But if I use the digital compass, it will point the wrong direction. I'm using the K443.
I have told it to call center, and they said they have already knew it and will enhance it in the next software update.
Since I seldom use digital compass, so it doesn't bother me, only the navigation will lead me to the right place, it' ok.
Strangely, I pulled up GPS Status app in my car. Compass worked perfectly while moving and then froze when I stopped. Anyone else notice this behavior?

seadersn

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
it's the same for me: some sensors, most important for me is gps, no more working after update to newest firmware, o2 germany device. i think that the problem is in the sensorhub partition. when reading some logs i stumbled over permission issues regarding sensor_hub.

my idea was to get a 1.54.401.5/10 sensor_hub partition pulled from someones phone who didn't do an update til now and flash it (am s-off now, mainly only because of this sh¡t [sry for this hard word, the situation is just too annoying :)]), but it looks like it's hard to find someone who still is on this "old" firmware :( maybe this fixes it.

i'm german, i hope you can understand my grammar or english in general :)

DonKamillo

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi there!
Same for my 3 weeks old device. The responsible sensor, which causes all the issues is the magnetic field sensor. I realized it using a satellite finder, which struggled and said "waiting for compass data". After download of some compass Apps, a metal detector App and sensor test App the error was found. No calibration possible, magnetic field sensor shows always values of 0uT for x,y,z.

I'm from Germany and it is a O2 device and my main question is what to do now? Called already HTC support, tried a soft reset. I'm not sure if a hard reset will fix the issue. I'm even not sure if a new phone will work if it is a software issue. So what do you think?

KR

seadersn

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
a new phone won't work, will most probably show the same malfunction. o2 device here, too. the only thing we can do is wait: either for htc or for someone providing an image of sensor_hub partition from 1.54 firmware or earlier.

seadersn

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
i already started a call for it on xda, but it doesn't look like anyone is willing to or still on this base.
forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help/sensorhub-img-1-54-401-10-stock-fw-t2901752

seadersn

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
nope, this is only a data wipe; virtual sdcard content won't be touched, when i remember correctly. firmware is not affected by this wipe :)

ptp170

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Wow...getting a few extra people having this issue as well now.. Hopefully some of you found your way here from my YouTube clip I uploaded to highlight this problem :)

cookan

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I contacted HTC today regarding my ticket and was told they are aware of an issue with ALL M8's following the update and a bug fix/es is due in the next release. I was talking to UK support and they put the release date as mid october 'so anytime now'. Obviously I'm not 100% confident that this is likely to happen mid october but HTC support did at least confirm the issue is firmware.

ptp170

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
It's good that they've collectively said the 'all' M8s have the issue. I'll keep on checking for HTC updates on my phone for said miracle cure!

MichaelMM2K

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I've had my HTC One M8 for just over a month and I'm having the same problems with the compass. When an app uses the compass, it works for a few seconds and then locks up. Quitting the app and starting it again simply repeats the failure. No amount of callibration fixes the failure. All my sky view apps are now completely useless.
Oh, I'm with Vodacom in South Africa.

LesWic

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Update 10/25 #2:
Installed Android 4.4.4 update. I 're-calibrated' the M8 internal compass by holding the M8 vertically and rotating once in each plane (3 circles). Now Google Sky Map, Google Maps and Compass all act as expected with regard to magnetic north orientation. Yay.

Update 10/25: Promised email for REPLY never arrived. Did the requested test while in a moving car. Not much difference. I sent em to HTC, contact-us at-HTC-dot-com, with identifying info for them to get back.

Update 10/24: I called HTC and spoke with a Level 2 who was knowledgeable. Went though a bunch of tests, to no avail. I was requested to do a test while in a moving vehicle. (He saw the post/reply in this thread from Mike Lippmann.) I was told to expect an email to use for a REPLY with my test results and setup another call.

Update 10/20: email from Level 2 support.

original post 10/18:
I 've had my HTC One M8 (verizonwireless) for 7-8 weeks. Trying to use Google Sky Map has led me to believe the compass isn't working as it should. Google Maps "blue location dot direction" and compass pointer are both "off" as is a Compass app. All worked on my older Motorola Droid. I spent an hour chatting with HTC support playing with settings to no avail. I was told my issue was escalated and I should expect to be contacted back.

Last edited:

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have not downloaded the Google Sky app on this phone but I did use it on my LG G2. So I cannot speak as to that app on the M8, but I will say that my GPS/Google Maps app works better than any other phone I have ever had...PERIOD! Locks on instantly and never looses signal and is more accurate than ever before. And I am fairly certain that it is the same version as I was running on my G2 from about two months ago. It ran like crap on my G2. In fact, that was my biggest complaint with the G2...but now with the M8 it is night-and-day better! I will have to try the sky map app again to see if that is working as well.

EDIT: I downloaded the Google Sky Map and it works great. Also, both map programs work inside my house just as well as they do outside. Also, the maps location is much more precise when locating where I am in my house. So it appears as if the software has been OK for some time and it's the hardware that makes the difference. ;)

Last edited:

cookan

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've just got the OTA 4.4.4 update on my UK M8 on vodafone and the compass is now responding in Google Maps and Locus and points the correct direction. Accurate Compass still complains it needs recalibrating but seems ok to me so problem solved by the looks of it !