Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone using this on their M8 & if so would u recommend the switch or do u notice any kind of difference ? I've been thinking about it but I heard it takes like 3 GB to take effect.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

davcole

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have thought about it but I've been so satisfied with the performance I've held off!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I went ahead & made the switch, the M8 is snappier & more responsive than before. I also put it in high performance mode, I'm a givebit a run for a few days. So far I'm really liking it

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I will go back to ART when xposed is compatible, but xposed is more valuable to me than minor improvements from ART

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

lyriciss

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Switched to it earlier today, actually. Definitely moves snappier. My only gripe is that Wikipedia doesn't work with it yet and that I stopped getting Instagram notifications since the switch, even though Instagram DOES work.

Daverk

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would be careful, not sure if applications are compatible yet. I heard something in the grapevine, that Google are looking into implementing this

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I followed a link from that article to http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/ which had this:

Additionally, now that the typical device contains a quad-core (or greater) processor, many situations will call for activating fewer cores, and it may be possible to make even better use of the lower-powered cores in ARM's big.LITTLE architecture. How much this improves battery life and performance will vary quite a bit based on usage scenarios and hardware, but the results could be substantial.

That got me thinking, because I've already been trying to do some battery comparisons between normal mode and the standard power saver mode with the CPU power checked and also locking mobile data to 3G by turning the LTE radio off. Despite performance testing pointing to the CPU throttling being accurate, I wasn't seeing much of a difference in battery times. I'd say 30-45 min extra on battery from a full charge with power saver on. Maybe an hour if I stretched it and lightened my usage.

So I downloaded the CPU-Z app and checked my clock speeds. With the phone basically at idle, only Core 0 was running, and Cores 1-3 were reporting "stopped." (See screenshot). So it sounds like the regular power saver function will be almost useless unless you're doing gaming or something that would normally max out all 4 cores. Anyone still on Dalvik care to run CPU-Z too to see if it runs all cores even if idle to maybe confirm this?

One odd thing I did notice was even when running BOINC with four tasks running (1 per core), the CPU wouldn't throttle up over about 1.25GHz each in normal, un-throttled mode. I checked my BOINC settings and the app doesn't seem to be throttling itself that way. So I'm not sure if it's something hard coded into the app, or a quirk related to ART. When churning, the phone is set next to my A/C vent anyway, so I've got the thermal head room to crank up the CPU while still keeping cool. Going by heat alone, I'm pretty sure the CPU is able to ramp up much faster and it's not a defect on mine. The phone gets much hotter playing Asphalt 8 than running BOINC.

Attachments

• 1403351393645.jpg
    1403351393645.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 272

anon(677651)

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone using this on their M8 & if so would u recommend the switch or do u notice any kind of difference ? I've been thinking about it but I heard it takes like 3 GB to take effect.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

I feel SwiftKey loads quicker under ART. Which is awesome coz I don't have to wait as long for the keyboard to come up every time I need to type something

Posted via Android Central App

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I switched yesterday, and after the 25 minute delay while apps were "upgraded" the phone started up. My own totally subjective reaction is that some things seem faster, some things seem the same, and some seem slower. Facebook, for example appears to launch slower. Chrome seems to launch faster.

Overall, the experience seems a little less "even". Not sure if I will leave it or go back to Dalvik until ART is official.

I haven't seen any compatibility issues or bugs though. . .so no reason to avoid trying it out.

Posted via Android Central App

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that's my gripe w swift key. It didn't pop up fast enough like the stock keyboard. I may go download it again now then

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos