Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?

Is anyone using this on their M8 & if so would u recommend the switch or do u notice any kind of difference ? I've been thinking about it but I heard it takes like 3 GB to take effect.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏
  2. Best Answer

ART works by expanding the files during install or converts during start up (which is why its taken 15 minutes for some people), but I'm wondering if its really compressing them when someone goes back to Dalvik (since SuperDave said it only took 2 minutes). Anyone know for sure that the file sizes are back to the original size after switching back? (Maybe files are being left in the expanded state, so people might get a mix of file states and faster speeds after reversion).

Default re: Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?

I have thought about it but I've been so satisfied with the performance I've held off!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I went ahead & made the switch, the M8 is snappier & more responsive than before. I also put it in high performance mode, I'm a givebit a run for a few days. So far I'm really liking it

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

I did it a month ago... Everything is snappier and I haven't run into any problems yet with apps...

I'm using it with no problems. I switched to it pretty early on, so can't really compare it to Dalvik.

I will go back to ART when xposed is compatible, but xposed is more valuable to me than minor improvements from ART

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)
    imnraged likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Sorry, still learning all these things but what is xposed ?

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

Basically it's a system for installing mods like sense 6 toolbox

Posted by my Nexus 7 (2013)

Switched to it earlier today, actually. Definitely moves snappier. My only gripe is that Wikipedia doesn't work with it yet and that I stopped getting Instagram notifications since the switch, even though Instagram DOES work.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Oh okay, I wanna root but have no clue as to what I'm doing. I managed to jailbreak an iPhone 5 tho

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

My xiialive pro radio will crash once I 're boot but other than that it's a lot better than before

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

Personally I would be careful, not sure if applications are compatible yet. I heard something in the grapevine, that Google are looking into implementing this

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

According to this article, it will be the next iteration of Android.

Updates To AOSP Confirm Dalvik Runtime Will Be Removed From Android, ART Officially Takes Its Place
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06...y-takes-place/

I followed a link from that article to http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11...uts-in-kitkat/ which had this:

Additionally, now that the typical device contains a quad-core (or greater) processor, many situations will call for activating fewer cores, and it may be possible to make even better use of the lower-powered cores in ARM's big.LITTLE architecture. How much this improves battery life and performance will vary quite a bit based on usage scenarios and hardware, but the results could be substantial.
    That got me thinking, because I've already been trying to do some battery comparisons between normal mode and the standard power saver mode with the CPU power checked and also locking mobile data to 3G by turning the LTE radio off. Despite performance testing pointing to the CPU throttling being accurate, I wasn't seeing much of a difference in battery times. I'd say 30-45 min extra on battery from a full charge with power saver on. Maybe an hour if I stretched it and lightened my usage.

So I downloaded the CPU-Z app and checked my clock speeds. With the phone basically at idle, only Core 0 was running, and Cores 1-3 were reporting "stopped." (See screenshot). So it sounds like the regular power saver function will be almost useless unless you're doing gaming or something that would normally max out all 4 cores. Anyone still on Dalvik care to run CPU-Z too to see if it runs all cores even if idle to maybe confirm this?

One odd thing I did notice was even when running BOINC with four tasks running (1 per core), the CPU wouldn't throttle up over about 1.25GHz each in normal, un-throttled mode. I checked my BOINC settings and the app doesn't seem to be throttling itself that way. So I'm not sure if it's something hard coded into the app, or a quirk related to ART. When churning, the phone is set next to my A/C vent anyway, so I've got the thermal head room to crank up the CPU while still keeping cool. Going by heat alone, I'm pretty sure the CPU is able to ramp up much faster and it's not a defect on mine. The phone gets much hotter playing Asphalt 8 than running BOINC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?-1403351393645.jpg  

ART and Dalvik are not related to CPU scheduling

Dalvik:

My M8 posted this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?-13300.jpg  

If mlb tv every fixes the ART issue then I'll switch for sure.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Default Re: Would you recommend using ART on the HTC One M8?

How'd my thread title change ??? 😐

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    Is anyone using this on their M8 & if so would u recommend the switch or do u notice any kind of difference ? I've been thinking about it but I heard it takes like 3 GB to take effect.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏
    I feel SwiftKey loads quicker under ART. Which is awesome coz I don't have to wait as long for the keyboard to come up every time I need to type something

Posted via Android Central App

I switched yesterday, and after the 25 minute delay while apps were "upgraded" the phone started up. My own totally subjective reaction is that some things seem faster, some things seem the same, and some seem slower. Facebook, for example appears to launch slower. Chrome seems to launch faster.

Overall, the experience seems a little less "even". Not sure if I will leave it or go back to Dalvik until ART is official.

I haven't seen any compatibility issues or bugs though. . .so no reason to avoid trying it out.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Yeah, that's my gripe w swift key. It didn't pop up fast enough like the stock keyboard. I may go download it again now then

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I switched animation to .5 & everything seems to open faster also. I may go back to 1 tho

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

I switched this morning. Tbh I can't really tell a difference. The phone is already quick as is.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I ended up switching back, I started noticing some bugs & several forecloses that never happened before. I'll wait till Android 5.0 when it's fully polished. Now that I have still feels fast as hell as if it was still running ART

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

ART seems like it's really going to speed up Android as a whole. I'd love to see Apple talk more about 64 bit while Android has noticeable speed and battery life improvements.

I ended up switching back too. The uneven performance was a bit odd, and I found several bugs. Polaris Office wouldn't open, AT&T Digital life wouldn't sign in, etc.

Last edited by bryanmsi; 06-27-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast