Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kronosqq
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking of Upgrading Early to the M8...

Hello, everyone!

I am over a year into my 3-year contract (I upgraded just before they switched to two-year contracts!), and, though I love my BlackBerry Q10, I'm doing some research on what my next upgrade choice should be, within a few months' time.

I started doing some research on the M8, and so far, I like what I see. There is an LED notification light (a must have, because I am so used to the LED light on my BlackBerry), a seemingly-very-efficient notification bar ("Blink Feed," I think; which seems similar to the BlackBerry Hub), and the overall size; as if I were to go full-touch, I'd like to have bigger-sized letters to tap.

The phone itself seems sturdy to hold and very efficient. I would just like to know others' impressions and experiences using the device. I've only ever had BlackBerry devices (the 9780 and now my trusty Q10), so I'm nervous to take the plunge. I'm hoping it won't be as expensive in two to four months, as well! If anyone could shed any insight - as well, if anyone has come to this device from a BlackBerry 10 phone, any first impressions would be wonderful for me to read - that would be great! Thank you so much!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Thinking of Upgrading Early to the M8...

Mine is only a week old, so don't have much in the way if long term reviewing. So far I'm loving it and it runs very smooth. I'm blown away by the gaming abilities, both for graphics and sound. There are a few things to consider from what you mentioned. Apparently HTC has a thing where the notification LED only flashes for 5 minutes. I use Handcent for texting, which can give a reminder notification at 5 minute intervals, so it keeps the light flashing. For others like email, it doesn't bother me that it stops flashing. The phone is also pretty slick. Like fall out of your hands if you're not careful slick. You will probably want a case for it, and there's a lot of nice ones to choose from.

The only wide spread issue I've heard of is a film coating (sounds like a UV coating) on the rear camera lens that is prone to scratching. There's a thread on it here, and people have had good luck just removing the coating. Some have sent it in for warranty, but I'm just going to just remove it if my lens starts getting scratched.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Mine is only a week old, so don't have much in the way if long term reviewing. So far I'm loving it and it runs very smooth. I'm blown away by the gaming abilities, both for graphics and sound. There are a few things to consider from what you mentioned. Apparently HTC has a thing where the notification LED only flashes for 5 minutes. I use Handcent for texting, which can give a reminder notification at 5 minute intervals, so it keeps the light flashing. For others like email, it doesn't bother me that it stops flashing. The phone is also pretty slick. Like fall out of your hands if you're not careful slick. You will probably want a case for it, and there's a lot of nice ones to choose from.

The only wide spread issue I've heard of is a film coating (sounds like a UV coating) on the rear camera lens that is prone to scratching. There's a thread on it here, and people have had good luck just removing the coating. Some have sent it in for warranty, but I'm just going to just remove it if my lens starts getting scratched.
    Hello! Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate you answering my questions/concerns! The LED is very important to me - is the app you downloaded free? Even if it isn't, I'd pay a little bit to get an LED going for texts (as you mentioned, email LED isn't super important to me either, but I've grown accustomed to different LED colours for when people like my brother and friends are texting me).

I'm a little worried about the lens scratching, however. You said it was a common thing? If removing the coating isn't a feat in engineering (I hate trying to fix or troubleshoot my phones!), then it won't be a deal-breaker.

What is the keyboard experience like on the M8? Is there good predictive text? My Q10's keyboard is phenomenal, especially for predictive text. The M8's keyboard looked cool in a review video I saw.

Posted via Android Central App

If I were you I would look into the lg g3 that should be available within the next few weeks. I have the M8 and love it, but just switched back to my G2. The phone is good, sounds great, looks great, feels great, but my g2 seems to do things faster. So for that, I'm going to see what the g3 has to offer. The lg you could make different color notifications for different contacts, it doesn't time out in 5 minutes, personally I like the lg screen better. But, in my eyes sense 6 is the best out there, very smooth, clean, and fluid. If you use a lot of audio, HTC speakers can't be beat, camera is good and very fast to shoot. Buy like I said, I came back to lg for the moment. Hope this helps.

The phone only has dual color LED. Charging is amber/orange. A full charge when plugged in, and all notifications are green. There are no other colors to choose from. So I don't think there's a way to differentiate who's texting by ring tone or vibration pattern unless the stock app or another third party app has the function. I just loved Handcent so much that I installed it as soon as I got the phone (it's free with optional paid cloud services), and didn't explore the stock or third party apps.

For The lens scratching, the lens itself is fine. Most people seem to get the coating off with toothpaste or rubbing alcohol. http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/9906-incredible-review-thread-post79812.html

I haven't used the stock keyboard either. I enjoyed the Swype keyboard from my last phone and installed it on the M8 (a few bucks in the Play store). Plus, I don't use predictive typing, so I can't help you there either for any keyboard.

For the lens scratching problem I can tell you that it's super easy to fix yourself. Not trying to be rude to those who send their phones back in to get them replaced because of the lens issue, but I have absolutely no idea why they're doing that when it's a matter of taking 5 minutes to get it done yourself. I can't stress enough how little of an issue it is.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    Thanked by 2:
    James E1 and kct1975 like this.

The lens cover issue isn't happening to everyone either. I've had mine for a couple of months now, don't use a case, and my phone is pristine.

Sent from who cares, it shouldn't matter.