Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SIgnal consistency question

I do like the M8 as a whole.

However is it just my bad luck or does the M8 have a really really horrible cellular radio on it? It could be Verizon Wireless though. This is the first Verizon Wireless device I've used and to tell the truth since I don't know if it's the M8 or the carrier, since i don't know I blame both and consider Verizon Wireless to be America's worst carrier in terms of consistency. My LTE connection will flake out with the phone sitting on a table. I will quite literally have 3 bars of LTE then it changes to 1 bar 3G and stays there until I cycle airplane mode. Then it finds LTE again.

Is this par for course for the M8 or my bad luck?

Aside from that the M8 seems to be a pretty good phone. It gets hotter in the sun that other phones I've used but I'm sure that is because of the aluminum design.

Default Re: SIgnal consistency question

I too have very inconsistent data signals on my M8. Though I am on Sprint's Now (terrible) network so this could just have everything to do with Sprint and not my M8. I will be sitting in one place and the phone will struggle to stay on LTE and will spend most of the time providing me with a god-awful 3G connection. Again, I'm on Sprint so this very well could have everything to do with their (most of the time) pathetic data network.

Sprint M8 here. I have a pretty fantastic LTE signal on mine. With my Evo LTE I could pick it up at just a couple places in town, with my M8 I get it in the majority of places as well as out in the country a ways where I didn't even know there was supposed to be any LTE.
    Tried updating your profile and Prl?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    Sprint M8 here. I have a pretty fantastic LTE signal on mine. With my Evo LTE I could pick it up at just a couple places in town, with my M8 I get it in the majority of places as well as out in the country a ways where I didn't even know there was supposed to be any LTE.
    Tried updating your profile and Prl?

Sent from my HTC One M8
    I agree that I pick up LTE in areas that I wouldn't expect to, but as far as consistency, I'm not very impressed. I guess my only reason for this is why I can have an LTE connection for however long it decides to stay connected to it, but, without leaving my seat, it switches to an incredibly slow 3G connection that struggles to even load a web page. Other than this, I agree that the phone does well picking up LTE when I least expect it to.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bergeronjc View Post
    I do like the M8 as a whole.

However is it just my bad luck or does the M8 have a really really horrible cellular radio on it? It could be Verizon Wireless though. This is the first Verizon Wireless device I've used and to tell the truth since I don't know if it's the M8 or the carrier, since i don't know I blame both and consider Verizon Wireless to be America's worst carrier in terms of consistency. My LTE connection will flake out with the phone sitting on a table. I will quite literally have 3 bars of LTE then it changes to 1 bar 3G and stays there until I cycle airplane mode. Then it finds LTE again.

Is this par for course for the M8 or my bad luck?

Aside from that the M8 seems to be a pretty good phone. It gets hotter in the sun that other phones I've used but I'm sure that is because of the aluminum design.
    When I had an M8, I never had a problem with signal. It was actually one of the best phones I've used, both in terms of signal and overall use.

While I've never had Verizon, I rarely hear anyone complain about their reliability. When there are complaints, they are usually about network speed, and only very rarely about signal consistency.

If you have another phone to compare to the M8, you should see how it does. There may be a problem with the M8 itself. If you try another phone and it gets better, consistent signal, then obviously it isn't Verizon's network.

Also, I recommend you go to RootMetrics for a zip code report. They conduct tests across the U.S. and they are very thorough. This report will show you the best carrier in your city, and will give you detailed information about how your current carrier performs.

RootMetrics also conducted the largest network test ever. I suggest you also give that a read.

Quote Originally Posted by NickPorter View Post
    I agree that I pick up LTE in areas that I wouldn't expect to, but as far as consistency, I'm not very impressed. I guess my only reason for this is why I can have an LTE connection for however long it decides to stay connected to it, but, without leaving my seat, it switches to an incredibly slow 3G connection that struggles to even load a web page. Other than this, I agree that the phone does well picking up LTE when I least expect it to.
    Forgot to mention consistency, but it maintains a connection in all those areas too. Have you tried the prl / profile update?

Sent from my HTC One M8

I will chime in with my M8 having great LTE consistency and connectivity. However for this discussion its not valid. I am on T-Mobile and that beast has different radio sets then the CDMA Sprint / Verizon versions do so probably not fair to compare mine with yours.

My last phone was from Motorola, which everyone says is the best brand for signal reception. So I'm guessing I was spoiled coming from that. One place I use inside, it could get 3 bars 4G. In the same place, the M8 only gets 3G and sometimes even that drops. Btw, it's a metal office building where most everyone has reception issues, and my Motorola was one of the few that got good reception in it. I've also seen it drop to 3G in some fringe places where the other phone maintained 4G. So no question the M8 isn't the greatest for cell reception.
    Mobile Enthusiast

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

Another Verizon m8 here. I'm very disappointed with reception on this phone. For the most part I can place phone calls in all the same places as other phones but the data doesn't hold anywhere near as well as my previous phone. 4g fluctuates like crazy, 3g as well but not as bad. I have actually been in 1x in areas where my girlfriends phone had 1 bar of 4g. That is the most irritating thing ever.

Sent from my HTC One (m8) using Tapatalk