Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Didier Gonzalez
  • 1 Post By Erick Newman
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default Media Output / Mirror Casting - AWESOME!

So I was already impressed with the M8. I got it the day it arrived at Verizon and I have loved it since. The only thing I am not happy with is the lack of RBG notify LED. But I'm over it.

This past weekend I bought a 60" Samsung Smart TV and while I was discovering it's features I came across something called mirror casting. The M8 is compatible with it and I'm able to pair it with the TV and mirror my phone right onto the 60" screen. THAT'S FREAKIN AWESOME!! I can put anything up there! Pictures, movies, texts. Anything. I have to still manipulate the phone to navigate what I'm doing, but really, I love it. Especially since I pay $9.99/mo for the WWE Network and now I can mirror cast the app and any pay-per-view without having to hard-connect anything to the TV. What a feature!

Default Re: Media Output / Mirror Casting - AWESOME!

How the hell do u do that w this phone ??? I can not figure it lol

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

can you share some more details on both the phone and tv.. set up maybe?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

On the M8, in settings, look for Media Output. Click on that and, like bluetooth, it will scan for pairable devices. In my case it was my new TV after I made my TV searchable. Once it finds the tv, I select it and it sends the "connect" order to the TV. No matter what channel the tv is on, or what you're doing, the connect order takes priority. Suddenly, the tv displays whatever the phone does. It mirrors it. Mirror casting.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by migaux View Post
    On the M8, in settings, look for Media Output. Click on that and, like bluetooth, it will scan for pairable devices. In my case it was my new TV after I made my TV searchable. Once it finds the tv, I select it and it sends the "connect" order to the TV. No matter what channel the tv is on, or what you're doing, the connect order takes priority. Suddenly, the tv displays whatever the phone does. It mirrors it. Mirror casting.
    Interesting. I wonder if it auto detects a MiraCast ready device? My TV is not MiraCast ready, but I do have a dongle I can try. When I share to my TV, it offers to stream things over DLNA, which is the best my TV can do without the dongle.

Posted via Android Central App

Sorry for all the questions, how do u make the tv searchable ? I have a Vizio smart tv if that helps any. I did the media output & these are the only options that appear.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Media Output / Mirror Casting - AWESOME!-57083.jpg  

After 3 months with this phone. You just gave me one more reason to love it even more.

I just tried.. Works great.

I have a Samsung TV

migaux likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

You'll have to check out your manual. I have a Samsung smart TV. Not sure how yours works.

Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    Sorry for all the questions, how do u make the tv searchable ? I have a Vizio smart tv if that helps any. I did the media output & these are the only options that appear.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏
    I have a vizio smart tv too. Ill play with my TV and my M8 tonight / tomorrow and see if i can figure it out for us vizio people.

Thanks migaux for sharing.

You'll have to check out your manual. I have a Samsung smart TV. Not sure how yours works.
    Only new newest Samsung Smart TV's are MicaCast ready. For anything older than a year or so, they do DLNA only, and you need a dongle like this for MiraCast:

Amazon.com: NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter with Miracast (PTV3000) Certified for use with Kindle Fire HDX: Electronics

Or you guys can just but a Chromecast and cast whatever is on your phone to the TV.

coronaboy10 likes this.

I have a chromecast and as of a few days ago thats not supported.

I've thought about using chrome cast but I don't really wanna spend money on it bc I'd rarely use it. I'm always on the road or at work

Tapatalk'n On The M8 😏

Chromecast finally able to mirror phone to tv now wit the new updates..happy bout that

Posted via T-Mobile HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    I have a chromecast and as of a few days ago thats not supported.
    Give it about an hour, it may even be ready now.

I didnt see this mentioned, but if you swipe up with three fingers, it automatically searches for devices
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heckenka View Post
    I didnt see this mentioned, but if you swipe up with three fingers, it automatically searches for devices
    I thought you were kidding. It works! Very nice!

I thought you were kidding. It works! Very nice!
    haha i did it by accident the other day and was like oh, thats nice.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    I have a vizio smart tv too. Ill play with my TV and my M8 tonight / tomorrow and see if i can figure it out for us vizio people.

Thanks migaux for sharing.
    No Go on my Vizio smart tv and my M8. They dont see each other.

Quote Originally Posted by droidman401 View Post
    Chromecast finally able to mirror phone to tv now wit the new updates..happy bout that

How do you get your phone to mirror to Chromecast? I get apps like You Tube to stream to it, but can't figure out how to mirror. Not sure if it's possible yet.
    MIKE
    HTC ONE M8 HK Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
    How do you get your phone to mirror to Chromecast? I get apps like You Tube to stream to it, but can't figure out how to mirror. Not sure if it's possible yet.
    Meant "Cast" sorry haven't got the new GPS update to mirror yet on the m8..but I can cast movies from certain sites I use that's pretty dope for movie nites using chrome beta browser