Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stock HTC voice dialer?

Is there supposed to be an HTC voice dialer on the M8? The Google app is so-so because it treats voice dialing as a general search. Even when using my Bluetooth and initiating via the activation button, Google still sometimes opens a search result page instead of searching my contacts only. I only use my Bluetooth for calls and don't care for voice searching the internet, Google Now turned off, have "Ok Google" detection turned off, and always prompt it by saying "Call..." but I haven't found a way to limit Google to ONLY function for calls. I know it's hearing me right by the text read out it displays. I tried disabling Google Search all together, thinking maybe it was set as a default and preventing access to an HTC dialer, but that left me with no voice dialing at all. Plus if the screen is off, it asks me to confirm every voice call request and it's mildly annoying.

My last phone had its own voice dialer independent of Google that worked only with calls and was hoping for something like that on the M8. If there isn't one, can anyone recommend a good third party voice dialer?

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Carrier
    chub-sac-Sense4.5/AnTHRaX

I think you want HTC Speak?

EDIT: http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-on...to/464890.html
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Stock HTC voice dialer?

I dunno, is that what should be there? I don't see anything like that in my app manager or on Play.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I dunno, is that what should be there? I don't see anything like that in my app manager or on Play.
    You launch it with a Motion Gesture. Have you tried it?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I saw your edit now, and no that wouldn't work. When I'm driving, I have to use Bluetooth/hands free or face a $2700 fine if caught using the handset, and potentially loose my job. So I need to be able to hit the one button on my headset to activate voice dialing with its mic.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I saw your edit now, and no that wouldn't work. When I'm driving, I have to use Bluetooth/hands free or face a $2700 fine if caught using the handset, and potentially loose my job. So I need to be able to hit the one button on my headset to activate voice dialing with its mic.
    Well my question is, have you tried it at all, so you can set up HTC Speak? Once you set it up, it may be possible to enable it for the use you desire (though that is merely speculation).
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

No dice. Doesn't appear to be any settings on there to adjust.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Well Google Search had an update. The upside is initiating a call via Bluetooth seems to bring up a dedicated voice dial function. The bad part is it's still Google powered, and the accuracy sucks.

Too bad I can't port my old Motorola voice dialer app over. It was near flawless accuracy and didn't require the "ok" verification after every voice input.

Did you try the app on the phone called "Car". It seems to work to a point, not as good as Samsung's Driving Mode.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Carrier

In HTC's Car app, you only have to tap the phone with 3 fingers to bring up HTC Speak. That really isn't any different than pressing a headset button, imo. It does work.