Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shaz Mohsin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thoughts on HTC One M8's Battery.

Hi,

So I got my M8 about two weeks ago and straight out of the box I noticed that I wasn't getting the stellar battery life that all the reviews raved about. With decent usage, 10-12 hours unplugged, and 4 hours of screen on time I was down to below 15%. I contacted HTC and they told me to do a battery calibration and reset the battery. I did that a few days ago and although I am noticing better battery life I'm curious as to if what I'm getting is still subpar to what some of you other M8 users are getting. I got an extra hour of screen on time and did so using the phone quite a lot (light gaming, quite a few YouTube videos, 30 minutes of total phone calls, chatting, web browsing, and a ton of texts). I am on Sprint (yes, my life sucks, I know) and don't have great signal most of the time so I know that, but I am on WiFi for most of the day. Please help me out and let me know if what you see below is normal and is pretty much the expected or close to expected life for the M8. Thanks!

Thoughts on HTC One M8's Battery.-screenshot_2014-07-01-21-46-47.jpg

Default Re: Thoughts on HTC One M8's Battery.

After about a week, my battery life improved greatly. Why you hating on Sprint? I have no data limits unlike the competition & I have 4 phones. Check back in a week.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm not complaining about what they offer, I just get really bad reception, causing my phone to constantly strain to get a better signal, which in turn has an affect on the battery. And I've had my phone for a couple weeks and have done a battery calibration. The GSAM report above is what I got this past day. Does the battery life shown look normal? How does it compare to yours if you don't mind me asking?

Looks fine to me

My M8 posted this
    Thanked by:

Yeah, that's good battery life, especially considering that you were gaming and watching video. Looking at that I wouldn't guess at all you had significant drain coming from low reception. That being said, the M8 does seem susceptible to drain from cell radios. I got mine when I was still in my dorm for the last semester, my room had awful reception. I was getting pretty terrible battery life, the voice and text stuff you can't turn off drains a ton of power, not just data. As soon as I moved out my battery life went up by hours, to about what you're getting.

Again, that looks good to me. But if you want to do a test of how much the low reception is affecting you, put it in airplane mode with Wifi on and just use Google voice for texting if you need that for a day. See how that goes.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    Thanked by:

What did you do to calibrate?

Posted via Android Central App

12 hours of battery and you aren't happy? Bad reception will literally kill any chances of decent battery life.. My old job would kill my battery in about 5 hours no joke (Note II)

An average day with my M8 I get about 13 hours... That's with about three hours of streaming on Spotify and SoundCloud..

Thanked by:

What are your settings like? Full screen brightness? Haptic feedback on buttons? I use my M8 heavily: text, email, web, YouTube, taking pictures and video, social media, non-stop full throttle and get great battery life for what I use. I'm also coming from the LG G2 which has great battery life also, this is on par with that phone maybe better, with a smaller battery. I use T-Mobile and I'm not fighting for a 4G signal.

Quote Originally Posted by henryfool3 View Post

I'm wondering the same thing, mine lasts about 8-9 hours. It dies while the screens off just as fast

Tapatalk'n On The M8 👍📱

5 hours or more of 'screen' time is good, but always compare GSAM against the system battery monitor. GSAM sometimes overreports screen time.

An M8 should be able to go a full workday with abouy four hours of screen time. Streaming music should barely increase drain, or at least my Shoutcast client barely dings my Flex for 1-2% extra per hour pulling music into my bluetooth kit.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by henryfool3 View Post

HTC told me to turn the phone off, charge it for about 10 minutes then, with the phone still off and plugged in, press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons for a whole two minutes. While doing this the phone will blink on and off a few times, just let it keep doing that for the whole two minutes. That'll calibrate the battery without deleting anything of yours from the phone.
    Relgoshan likes this.