Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Default Just ordered a M8 from from iphone 5

Well after almost two years away from Android I am coming back and bring my wife with me. Should have the new phones tomorrow. I am on Verizon and went with the edge program. See how it works. I have played with the M8 several times in stores and been reading on here a lot and the net. However I do have some questions that we need some help with and hoping to get it all in on spot in this post.

1. imessage. We will turn it off today and send a few texts. Anything else we need to do or know here?

2. Music. This is big to my wife. How do we move ours files (which are seperate) from the itunes library to the new phones? (specifics if one can for us.)

3. Set up. I read numerous complaints about the led notification light. Since I had a Galaxy Nexus last should I skip something it set up or set up as normal with my email and such? Read to skip something.

4. Contacts and Calendar. We use Google now for everything anyway and ios has come a long way but tired of work arounds. Anything new here after we set up? Want to make sure the calendar we share still works and syncs.

5. Anything else we need to know that will help us?

Thank you!!!

Default Re: Just ordered a M8 from from iphone 5

Quote Originally Posted by Hughey79 View Post
    Well after almost two years away from Android I am coming back and bring my wife with me. Should have the new phones tomorrow. I am on Verizon and went with the edge program. See how it works. I have played with the M8 several times in stores and been reading on here a lot and the net. However I do have some questions that we need some help with and hoping to get it all in on spot in this post.

1. imessage. We will turn it off today and send a few texts. Anything else we need to do or know here?

2. Music. This is big to my wife. How do we move ours files (which are seperate) from the itunes library to the new phones? (specifics if one can for us.)

3. Set up. I read numerous complaints about the led notification light. Since I had a Galaxy Nexus last should I skip something it set up or set up as normal with my email and such? Read to skip something.

4. Contacts and Calendar. We use Google now for everything anyway and ios has come a long way but tired of work arounds. Anything new here after we set up? Want to make sure the calendar we share still works and syncs.

Thank you!!!
    Congratulations on your new phones. I hope you love them as much as I do. My first advice is not to use HTC Sync Manager. Plug your phone in as a USB drive and drag and drop your music directly into the music folder. Same thing with pictures. The DCIM folder. I'm not sure about the LED Notification. Mine blinks when something happens, then it stops...so I guess a normal set up and you could tweak settings as needed. Your Google calendar should work fine. Setting up the M8 is so easy. Take a minute and search for tips and tricks. There are many, which make this phone a lot of fun.
    MIKE
    HTC ONE M8 HK Edition

Thank you!!!
    Welcome back to Android!
    I finally moved from Iphone 5 to the M8 about 3 weeks ago. So getting used to android myself.
    As for your Q's.

1. I didn't turn this off, reason being is that all family & friends use whatsapp. So easier for me on that side. People have said to make sure you turn it off before moving over.

2. I used Sync Manager to my M8. However it only moved across the playlists I had saved on iPhone. All my other music I moved across manually via explorer to my SD card.

3. I had read not to setup straight away with Google+ account when asked during setup. So I didn't. My LED notification light is fine. In fact I haven't even signed into Google+. Don't really use it to be honest. The LED will stay on for 5mins and then turn off built in feature.

4. HTC Sync manager moved all of these across for me from iTunes. I had no issues here.

One thing with Sync manager is that it will ask whether you wanted to move text messages. Some how with all the grouped chats I had on the iphone it came to 36K worth of texts. In the end I had to cancel this as it was moving 1% every 10-15mins. I cancelled this in the end. Started again and all was ok. So if it can be avoided, don't check this option!

HTH
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Another question I forgot to ask is with my old Samsung device I had to bump charge it. Is this the same these days or with HTC?

Another question I forgot to ask is with my old Samsung device I had to bump charge it. Is this the same these days or with HTC?
    I presume you mean give the phone a bit of a boost for extra battery power in the day?
    The battery on the M8 is awesome. With me, unplugged from charger at 06:50. Moderate use all day. Browsing net, FB, twitter, messaging. Music later in afternoon for the gym and then listen to the music from speakers when cooking in evening. Time is now 00:15 and battery level is at 72%. So that's 17hrs.
    I have played games like Dead Trigger 2 in the evening and does zap quite a bit. Depending on how long you play the games. Think worst case in same time length I was done to 33%.

Quote Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
    My first advice is not to use HTC Sync Manager.
    Although HTC Sync Manager isn't great (and that's being generous), it's fine for syncing MS Outlook contacts & calendar (if you use MS Outlook), and for backing up photos to your PC.

For photos, though, I also use MS OneDrive on my phone & PC. It has an option to copy photos to the cloud (15Gb free storage) immediately they are taken, and then sync them to your PC. It doesn't delete cloud copies when you delete them from your phone, which is useful if space becomes tight.

Quote Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
    Plug your phone in as a USB drive and drag and drop your music directly into the music folder. Same thing with pictures. The DCIM folder.
    Rather than copy pictures to the DCIM folder, consider copying to HTC's Albums folder (I have sub-folders within this). Each sub-folder shows up as a different album in Gallery. Also, copy movies to the Movies folder (and as suggested, music to the Music folder).

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

In reference to the bump charging. Back in the day with my old android (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) when it was done charging I would pull it off the charger and the battery percentage would drop to 90% automatically so I would have to plug it back in to charge it back up then pull it off for the day.
    Flashoholic!!

ROM
    Bad Boyz Rom

Thank you!!!
    Its about time!!! lol just kidding welcome back

Thank you!!!
    I went through a time with this when switched from a iPhone 5 to a galaxy s4. For me I switched off message a few days before i changed phones, sent "stop to 48369, and unregistering your apple id from your phone and even then it took few days for me to receive texts from friends who had iPhones. It will help if you tell them to send you texts as sms messages.

In reference to the bump charging. Back in the day with my old android (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) when it was done charging I would pull it off the charger and the battery percentage would drop to 90% automatically so I would have to plug it back in to charge it back up then pull it off for the day.
    You don't need to worry about this.

Posted via Android Central App
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Thanks all! Wife and I got our phones yesterday. So far loving them. A lot more to get used to now than before. So we are learning all over again. Still waiting on two other phones we ordered from Verizon but thats a different story.

Good to know with the charging. I switched to LTE from Global on the cellular aspects. Hoping the battery keeps getting better. Only thing we have left to do is move our pics and music over to the new phones. Researched and working on what will be the easiest.

Happy 4th to everyone!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Got everything transferred today. Not to bad and used the HTC Sync as well.

I have the Wifi Notify Me unchecked but it still tells me when there are wifi networks available is there a way to make this not occur?