My original M8 suffered from the infamous cloudy camera. I got it replaced by T-Mobile, and it's been maybe three months now and the replacement M8 did the same. My buddies M8 started to do the same thing about a month ago, and he used Zaino Wax to buff out the camera cloudyness away.

I noticed yesterday that mine was doing the same thing again when I tried to take a picture and it wasn't focusing. Tried to clean it, and at first I just thought it was dirty. Picture wasn't important, so I ignored it. Then last night I went to get a drink with a buddy of mine, and tried to take a picture, and the camera wasn't focusing. Tried to clean it again, and that's when I noticed the cloudy camera again.

So I woke up this morning, found some turtle wax, put some on a terry cloth, rubbed a little on the lens, let it dry for a couple of minutes, and then buffed it off. Sure enough, it started to take some of the cloudyness away. So I did it again about three more times, and now the cloudyness is down to the edges. I was excited that it worked, that I ran over to my laptop to make this thread.

I was thinking about getting another replacement, but this is a better alternative for me. I don't want to be setting up my phone all over again every few months for the same issue.

This is what I used.

07-03-2014 11:14 AM
    That is a nice trick... but IMHO, don't risk it. If it's defective, it's defective. Just get it replaced. Yes, it's the pain of setting up a new device (which, if you back up everything with Google, even settings should port over), but you also get the 'new device' feeling all over again
    07-03-2014 11:21 AM
    I don't think it's defective, it's a design or manufacturing issue. The trouble with replacing it is the next one will eventually develop the same problem. Plus, you're likely to get a refurbished phone which could have it's own issues. Better to just clean the coating off the lens, IMO.

That is a nice trick... but IMHO, don't risk it. If it's defective, it's defective. Just get it replaced. Yes, it's the pain of setting up a new device (which, if you back up everything with Google, even settings should port over), but you also get the 'new device' feeling all over again
    07-03-2014 01:35 PM
    Gonna definitely do this !

Tapatalk'n On The M8 👍📱
    07-03-2014 02:15 PM
    What do you mean by cloudy? Moisture buildup?
    07-03-2014 04:09 PM
    Ya wow, so many people now a days don't or can't take matters into their own hands to fix something or find a solution to a simple problem. I'm a hands on guy, I fix my own truck, and motorbike, my boat... I would be sitting here with nothing if I did nothing but send stuff back that didn't make me happy or had a easy fix fault.
    For the camera lens.. Great job on using turtle wax... Myself I just used toothpaste and qtip... Pictures are perfect and clear again and I never once called HTC to complain in the process.
    09-14-2014 10:41 AM
    Do not use toothpaste method. Magic eraser works amazing in one minute. Use a dab of water with the sponge.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-14-2014 02:02 PM
    Just tried the toothpaste way.

This happened to my Samsung s2 as well and I thought it was camera failure. The s2 had a slightly protruding camera which is why it was so easily damaged. The m8's camera is similar, almost flush with the body... So if you don't have a case on the phone, it will scrape as you place it on a table repeatedly... Seems logical enough. But HTC should have identified this issue when designing. Sure, it's a beautiful body, but impractical. Especially when you really want to take a picture and the camera looks like a 1megapixel from back in the day. I will flag this as a design issue with HTC.

Anyway, toothpaste worked a treat. Can'tseem to post the pictures but i did a before and after and am very impressed with the results. Thanks guys.
    10-25-2014 08:22 PM
    The m8's camera is similar, almost flush with the body... So if you don't have a case on the phone, it will scrape as you place it on a table repeatedly...
    A case doesn't seem to help. Several people in the main lens issue thread reported having cases on it and still getting the scratches. Same with mine.
    10-25-2014 09:20 PM
    I just got the notification today that my device is shipping back to me. If this one does the same thing then I'll bust out Zaino or brasso. Such a shame this phones camera is like it is I love everything else about it.
    10-28-2014 08:20 PM
    I was able to clean the film off of my lens with 99% isopropyl alcohol and a Q-Tip.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-28-2014 11:34 PM