Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default think I'm moving to the gs5

I've had fun with this phone. But it just doesn't have the things I want in total. Only thing I'll miss is that speakers.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: think I'm moving to the gs5

Okay? Have fun.
    Thanked by 3:
    Smply_Rcklss likes this.

what samsung gimmick feature are you missing?

sent from HTC M8 using tapatalk
    Thanked by 3:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'm a letter carrier for the post office. And the built in pedometer and heartbeat sensor are although not a necessary sell its something that's good for me health wise.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I feel the s5 ate fit those out and about. Heart beat sensor. Water proof.

Global Posts
    4,694 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by stevextragedy View Post
    I'm a letter carrier for the post office. And the built in pedometer and heartbeat sensor are although not a necessary sell its something that's good for me health wise.

Those are gimmick features and the heart rate sensor is not accurate. You can install an app for the pedometer if you really need one. I tried the M8 on launch day but the S5 hoopla got the best of me and I went to it. But now I wish I had the M8 back. The speakers are awesome - needless to say I'm looking for another M8.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".
    James E1 likes this.

Global Posts
    539 Global Posts

M8 can count steps using the Fitbit app. No device needed.
    Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100
    Thanked by:
    Kibbster likes this.

ROM
    MOAR 9

I use My Tracks by Google, uses the GPS and saves the info to Drive if you want.
    HTC One (M8) Stock For Now.
    David

I've had fun with this phone. But it just doesn't have the things I want in total. Only thing I'll miss is that speakers.

get a fitbit, the zip is $50 and it syncs on the phone with the app. Much more accurate, I have a fot==itbit One and it syncs and gives me points for corporate wellness.

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

S5 is a great device. Enjoy!

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

I had the S5, the lag, weak speakers and touch wiz are the reasons I went back to the M8. For me the M8 is the most complete package. BTW I also had the Xperia Z2.

No, you'll be back. I've already seen this enough. Give the lag king a shot.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

What kind of lag are we talking about

What kind of lag are we talking about

Touchwiz lag

My M8 posted this
    Thanked by:
    kct1975 likes this.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

The internal pedometer in the HTC is k st as good as the S5 and works with fitbit software. I use it all the time.

I also read that the heart rate monitor of the GS5 was really inaccurate, so you should check it against a real monitor, ideally your finger and a stopwatch.

Waterproof is cool though. I will give it that.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by bryanmsi View Post
    The internal pedometer in the HTC is k st as good as the S5 and works with fitbit software. I use it all the time.

I also read that the heart rate monitor of the GS5 was really inaccurate, so you should check it against a real monitor, ideally your finger and a stopwatch.

Waterproof is cool though. I will give it that.

That's another big seller for Me. I don't wanna worry about my phone being in my pocket at work and getting caught in all day rain.

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Reviews have generally found most phones to be inaccurate regarding tracking steps and the S5 has been known to find your heart rate at 192bpm at a resting heart rate. I would suggest you invest in a Fitbit Flex and get much more accurate information. No phone will really beat a 3rd party fitness tracker at the moment.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

Water resistance is about all I'll give the S5 in a head to head. Maybe that and more cases available.

I have an S5 collecting dust right now in favor of the M8 BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    Water resistance is about all I'll give the S5 in a head to head. Maybe that and more cases available.

You forgot camera. HTC m8 camera can't compete at 4mp.

You'll love the S5, better camera and stuff, however, I like the Sense UI better than Touchwiz

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post

Battery life is better, camera is better, and the battery is interchangeable which also means you can buy a wireless charging cover or the s-view case if you want a super slim case.

That said I'm not polarized on this issue. I have an S5 but the M8 has the more pleasant overlay. I really prefer a Nexus device but Verizon didn't give me that option. I would have gone M8 if it weren't for the removable battery. Its just about impossible to get a device with no compromises. Also, I like the S5 display. I know that the screen is not accurate, but it is modified in a way that makes it very pleasing to the eye.

Might be interesting HTC m8 envy?

Also, people use the built-in launcher? Never knew that... All joking aside, I have an S4, and it was a mistake. I mean, I have to root to friggin stop the top bar toggles from taking up 1/4 of my notification bar.

I miss certain Samsung gimmicks. Say what you will about touchwiz, but I miss the alarm app (best alarm I've ever used), the swiping for a screenshot, some of the gestures were great, the camera features were awesome, and I even miss S-voice. The M8 is great for a well designed nearly basic phone.

Quote Originally Posted by akronevan2 View Post
    I miss certain Samsung gimmicks. Say what you will about touchwiz, but I miss the alarm app (best alarm I've ever used), the swiping for a screenshot, some of the gestures were great, the camera features were awesome, and I even miss S-voice. The M8 is great for a well designed nearly basic phone.

I detest the swipe to take a screen shot personally. I find it easier to have the multitasking thing on the left, and I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally gotten the multitasking selector on top of my screenshot. I purged the heck out of 90% of the samsung garbage. SVoice, TouchWiz, and all. Basically I have the alarm (which I don't use), Calendar, Browser (although I use Chrome mainly), Messaging (as I'm a little weary of a third party app reading them), and Dialer. That's about it really.

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akronevan2 View Post

How is the HTC One M8 a basic phone? The general consensus among reviewers is that it is the best smartphone out there. Wouldn't a basic smartphone be something like the Moto G?

TouchWiz is bloated and the constant lag as you move throughout the operating system kills the experience, not to mention the cheap plastic body. The G3 rocks plastic better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast