HTC One M8 Questions

jakebyrne123

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum cause I was unfortunately on iOS for the last 2 years. But I have switched to Android and I love it. I have just a few questions and problems about the HTC One M8.

1. When I charge it with the USB cable to the PC its charges at a very slow rate. Is this normal (weaker charge through USB) or is it just I think its taking ages.

2. The volume buttons wiggle from side to side a tiny bit. Its not bothering me too much its just when the phone is tapped hard they make a noise and I wonder if there broken or just meant to be like that.

Other than that I love the phone and I love being on Android now.

Thanks,
Jake.

jtc303

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum cause I was unfortunately on iOS for the last 2 years. But I have switched to Android and I love it. I have just a few questions and problems about the HTC One M8.

1. When I charge it with the USB cable to the PC its charges at a very slow rate. Is this normal (weaker charge through USB) or is it just I think its taking ages.

2. The volume buttons wiggle from side to side a tiny bit. Its not bothering me too much its just when the phone is tapped hard they make a noise and I wonder if there broken or just meant to be like that.

Thanks,
Jake.

1. Yes, charge the normal way when possible... Usb and car charging is slow

2. My volume buttons are sensitive but solid.. I would have yours checked out by your provider

[JTC ONE m8]

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to AC

Pc charging is always slower for me as well

I don't think you'll have any issues if the volume rocker has a little wiggle to it. You could stop by the point of purchase and have them look at it too

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

jakebyrne123

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
just one thing I got a HTC Flip case for my phone but when I open the cover the screen is unlocked. Is there a way to disable it unlocking when I open the cover?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't have it so I'm not sure but I'd imagine you could add a pattern lock.

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app

jtc303

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
just one thing I got a HTC Flip case for my phone but when I open the cover the screen is unlocked. Is there a way to disable it unlocking when I open the cover?

You can turn off motion gestures, but if you like that feature add a pattern/pin lock...one of my only gripes about this phone..

[JTC One M8]

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To add to what the other posters have said.
Charging via a computer USB is slow because most computers (windows) have USB 2 which have a maximum output of 500mA.
The stock charger you got with your M8 is 1000mA or 1A So by using a computer to charge your phone you are automatically getting half the current output of the stock htc wall charger.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To add to what the other posters have said.
Charging via a computer USB is slow because most computers (windows) have USB 2 which have a maximum output of 500mA.
The stock charger you got with your M8 is 1000mA or 1A So by using a computer to charge your phone you are automatically getting half the current output of the stock htc wall charger.

My stock charger is 1.5A, and the phone usually pulls 1.2A max when charging according to various monitor apps. Then may need to factor in some overhead to run the phone on top of the charging. But you're right, computers almost always have weak USB outlets.

1. Yes, charge the normal way when possible... Usb and car charging is slow
Are you talking about factory installed chargers? I use an after market car charger rated at 2.1A, and charges just as fast as the stock. Don't get confused, because a stronger charger doesn't always mean faster charges. The phone determines how much amperage to pull, so any charger above the stock rating won't charge quicker. I just like the flexibility of having a stronger one, plus it isn't having to work near capacity like the stock charger. So it may last longer.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
My volume buttons also do that, it's all over that ppl have experienced loose buttons. I think it may be how the phone is. It kinda bothered me bc I thought they're broken, but I got use to it plus I have a case on now.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 👍📱

jtc303

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
My stock charger is 1.5A, and the phone usually pulls 1.2A max when charging according to various monitor apps. Then may need to factor in some overhead to run the phone on top of the charging. But you're right, computers almost always have weak USB outlets.

Are you talking about factory installed chargers? I use an after market car charger rated at 2.1A, and charges just as fast as the stock. Don't get confused, because a stronger charger doesn't always mean faster charges. The phone determines how much amperage to pull, so any charger above the stock rating won't charge quicker. I just like the flexibility of having a stronger one, plus it isn't having to work near capacity like the stock charger. So it may last longer.

I guess there are exceptions to the rule but I've always been under the impression (and experienced) that standard car chargers charge much slower than your normal charger.. then again I barely use mine anyways, it's really just there for emergencies

[JTC One M8]

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess there are exceptions to the rule but I've always been under the impression (and experienced) that standard car chargers charge much slower than your normal charger.. then again I barely use mine anyways, it's really just there for emergencies

[JTC One M8]
It varies from car charger to car charger.....

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

[JTC One M8]

It all depends on the rating. Higher ratings are becoming the norm, but I still see tons of cheap ones rated 500-800 mA, which won't cut it on today's high end phones. You can use them, but you not only risk slow charges or even charge losses, you also risk burning the charger out prematurely. I'm opposite of you, using my car charger almost exclusively. It's a third party charger and has lasted me quite a while.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Jake.

1. Answered adequately by others above.

2. My volume key is very solid in the phone and does not wiggle at all. I have heard of loose volume rockers on some of these phones. I don't know if this has any affect on functionality, but I would be irritated.

If you can, take it back to the store and have them open another one until you find one with a solid volume rocker that doesn't jiggle..

Welcome to the M8 forums. You bought an excellent phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Jake.

1) 0.5A not being equal to 1.5A, the average USB is a charging fail. Like an all-night-if-phone-is-asleep charging speed. A few PCs mark one of their ports as a charger, in which case it provides anywhere from 1.0A up to 2.5A depending brand AND will usually still be powered when the machine is turned off. Some phones though will self-limit their charging if they detect a PC data connection or if they fail to detect a brand-specific special pin connection. The M8 *should* charge as fast as possible wherever it can though.

2) Ignore the volume keys unless they suddenly fall out. If they fall out you have a rare defective phone and HTC should cover it under warranty.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1