Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dicky dd
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default usb audio help

hello forum
    first post
    I have arthritis and the doctor has told me to lose a few pounds and recommended walking.
    now to the point I am getting a new phone soon and the choice is either the htc m8 or the galaxy s5 and I am wondering if any one could tell me if either can send digital audio to a portable usb dac on the go I think its called.
    sorry if I am being a bit vague but im new to all this as I do most of my listening on my hifi sat down but not any more and if I am going to start exercising(torturing my self) a bit of music will help. thanks all

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Default Re: usb audio help

Not sure what device you are talking about. In my opinion your absolute best bet is a good set of wired headphones (in ear is most comfortable for most people).

You should get a set with a built in mic as well, in case someone calls you.

You can also look for a Bluetooth headset, but they tend to be larger since they have to have batteries.

Good luck and try to enjoy the exercise...!

R
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

hi
    what I want to do is send the digital signal to a portable dac and headphone amp bypassing the phones dac I believe it called usb audio out.
    some devices have it but others don't
    the problem I am having is finding out if either of these phones will let you do this.
    maybe some one could recommend phones known to allow this.
    the device I am thinking of using is the graham slee bitzie

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

So do you need this because you are hard of hearing? The M8 supposedly has an amplified driver, so you may not need it. You should go to the store and try it out.

That bitzie is not going to be fun to carry around on your walks... Even though it is smallish you still need to put it somewhere.

I will do some google searches, but off hand I don't have the answer to your question.

R
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

thanks for replying
    no I don't have a hearing aid yet .
    I gave up smoking 10 months ago and started a little saved money fund as a reward if I lasted the year.
    the reason for the bitzie is to get the best sound quality as the phone will be my only portable music device and intendi on getting some decent headphones

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

So it looks like a yes to me...

http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

There is also a relevant app in the play store. You will need a special cable though, for what I can tell.

I am unclear on the need for this device, but if this is what you want, enjoy!

R
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

thanks for finding that information it was a great help.
    the reason for trying the dac is that its better than the one in the phones and the amp will help drive some headphones.
    saying that though you may be right and it might not be needed or worth it bur the company do try before you buy loan units so its worth a go.
    I will come back and let you know my findings.
    Rhyalus likes this.

Hi,

Basically you need a headphone amp with its own power supply because Android doesn't natively support USB Audio and the link posted earlier looks pretty hit-and-miss to me (it may also work perfectly).

Slightly off topic, I should have had my morning coffee before reading this thread

My M8 posted this

Please find a link to an Android USB audio thread:
    Android phones and USB DACs - Page 335

A Bitzie is reportedly working with a Samsung Galaxy S3 in USB audio native mode.
    Android phones and USB DACs - Page 116

As far as I know, there is no report of a Bitzie - HTC One M8 interworking in USB audio native mode, but the Bitzie can very likely work with a HTC One using the USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) app, which includes its own USB audio soft-driver.
    Android phones and USB DACs - Page 338