Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AshtonVibe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default pls help out...moving files from internal to msdcard

I took a new sd card (strontium class 10 32gb nitro) I'm not able to tranfer files from internal storage to mcard through file manager (es file explorer)..it shows error moving files..
    Is there problem with sd card?
    Should I try with other explorer s ?
    Pls help me out

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: pls help out...moving files from internal to msdcard

Are you on KitKat? (You're using an M8, so I'm guessing YES). If so, remember that SD Card access is now heavily restricted by the system. Only if the app created the folder can the app move things around. If the files you want were created by another app.

You could try moving/copying the file using a PC, though.

PS: The 'stock' File Manager app should work, too, as this should have more read/write privileges than 3rd party apps.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    PS: The 'stock' File Manager app should work, too, as this should have more read/write privileges than 3rd party apps.
    Assuming his version of the M8 has a stock file explorer. My Verizon version didn't have one.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Are you on KitKat? (You're using an M8, so I'm guessing YES). If so, remember that SD Card access is now heavily restricted by the system. Only if the app created the folder can the app move things around. If the files you want were created by another app.

You could try moving/copying the file using a PC, though.

Thanks for advice
    Yes I'm using HTC m8 4.4.2(kitkat)..but I don't 've stock file manager in my mob..is there anything I can do , apart from pc

Root would be the only other option at this point.
    Thanked by:

A nice tip for everyone. Only pre-installed apps can save content to the SD card, generally speaking. One trick is for moving photos and videos, especially since they can take the most space. Go to your gallery, then open an album. From here, tap on the options icon (three dots) in the upper right corner. Then select 'move'. Now instead of selecting an existing album, tap on the '+' icon for a new album. See where it says phone storage?... Tap on it. Bingo, there you see SD Storage, so tap on it, and make sure you rename the album to your preference.

You can do this for wallpapers, screenshots, videos, and other downloaded files. Even if you save a video from online to your phone storage, or even under SD in your browser settings, you can follow the same move process from Gallery, and save it to your SD card.
    Thanked by 3:
    SpookDroid likes this.

Search Google Play Store for Geeksoft's Kitkat External SD patch… I am now able to send files onto my 32gb microsd card. Must be rooted.

Samsung S4

Quote Originally Posted by montecristo1 View Post
    Search Google Play Store for Geeksoft's Kitkat External SD patch… I am now able to send files onto my 32gb microsd card. Must be rooted.

Samsung S4
    You will probably need a rooted phone for that to work.

In fact most solutions require rooting.

This whole thing has really annoyed me - I may as well buy an iPhone if I want to be this locked down. The biggest benefit for android was that I didn't need any reliance on a PC. I used to laugh at iPhones being locked down with the whole iTunes thing, but kitkat has made android just as bad.

I understand the security concern, but there should be a way to switch it off for those who choose to have more freedom without having to root their phone.

As Android evolves it seems to turn more into an apple device. First we lost mass storage mode, but we pretty much lose access to storing data on the SD card, what is the point in having a large SD card if I can't move things on to it? If I download it a movie it defaults to the internal 'downloads' folder and can't be moved? Unless I am mistaken?

I don't understand. I can move files to the SD card without problems, and I'm not rooted. Files, specifically, not apps.

How are you moving them and what version of Android are you using?

The 4.4.3 update included a file manager that will move files.

Thats good to hear. I'm on 4.4.2 with no file manager at the moment.