Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint WiFi calling

Anyone have any idea when the M8 will get the WiFi calling update on sprint? I know the GS5 and G Flex have gotten the update recently and I'm just curious when I can expect the update on my M8.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Sprint WiFi calling

It could be at anytime.
    I was surprised that the G Flex got it.
    Have not heard anything about the LG G2 getting the update, but the G3 is being released next week with it already on there.

Hope Sprint keeps it going. Stay tuned.

Mav.

I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by NickPorter View Post
    Anyone have any idea when the M8 will get the WiFi calling update on sprint? I know the GS5 and G Flex have gotten the update recently and I'm just curious when I can expect the update on my M8.

Thanks in advance
    I've used Skype on my PC for years, but what is WIFI callng on my M8 exactly?
    MIKE
    HTC ONE M8 HK Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
    Haven't read the articles on the G Flex update with this yet, so if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. I'd assume Wifi calling would mean you can utilize your Wifi connection to do a voip call, connected to your phone number, as opposed to relying on your mobile network. It would be particularly useful if you were out at somebody's house a ways out of town and have awful reception, but Wifi in their house. You could bypass the cell network and use the Wifi exclusively for all your calling needs.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    Haven't read the articles on the G Flex update with this yet, so if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. I'd assume Wifi calling would mean you can utilize your Wifi connection to do a voip call, connected to your phone number, as opposed to relying on your mobile network. It would be particularly useful if you were out at somebody's house a ways out of town and have awful reception, but Wifi in their house. You could bypass the cell network and use the Wifi exclusively for all your calling needs.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    This is correct. Think of wifi calling as turning the wifi signal into the cell tower for calls, texts, and data.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    This is correct. Think of wifi calling as turning the wifi signal into the cell tower for calls, texts, and data.

It would apply to text messages as well? I assumed it was only for voice calls.

Quote Originally Posted by NickPorter View Post
    It would apply to text messages as well? I assumed it was only for voice calls.
    Text as well yes.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post

Sent from my HTC One M8
    I use the WiFi calling on a galaxy mega and a note 3. In order for the WiFi calling to work which defeats the purpose of it you must have at least 1 bar of non roaming signal for location services. If you have none it will come up and say registration failed essentially not helping anything.

The WiFi calling does text, calls, but doesn't do MMS. You have to use 3g for that which it doesn't kick on automatically like if you're using WiFi regularly for MMS messages.

WiFi calling otherwise is awesome clearer calls, reliable connection, and faster response as in getting and receiving calls.

Quote Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
    WiFi calling is complete connectivity to your home mobile network over WiFi. So for instance, if you're outside the country and on WiFi with WiFi calling on, as far as Sprint is concerned, you are home. Texts, data, calls will all be billed as if you're home. In addition, when people call you they will hear a US-style ringing tone versus the one that normally rings in the country where you are. This can be useful if you want to obscure that you're out of the country.

Careful to turn off your roaming data connection if you want to ensure that you're not charged for anything.

Posted via Android Central App