Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ART on HTC One vs. S5

Hey all,

So I have an HTC One M8 (best phone evah!), and my girlfriend has a S5 (she needed the better camera). I switched both of them to ART about three weeks ago and have used them both quite a bit to see the hit on performance.

In conclusion: the HTC One ran much more buggy while the S5 ran faster.

Here are more specifics on the One:

- The camera, for some reason, seemed blurry. I confirmed this to be an ART issue (at least with my unit) because I switched back to Dalvik twice just to check on the camera. On dalvik, it looks much, MUCH better. On ART, it seems the phone cannot focus and handle lighting very well.
    - Trouble unlocking the device consistently. It just wouldn't register the touch the first time. Hardly ever.
    - it seemed like apps that I replaced from the defaults (I.e. I replaced internet with chrome and messaging with hangouts), always ran slower and took much longer to open.
    - it broke a lot of my Bluetooth connections, especially to vehicles.
    - Battery life was worse. I would say about 20% worse. With Dalvik, at the end of my day, I would be at about 35% battery, or more. With ART, I would be at 14% or less. Consistently.
    Just seemed to be many bugs on the HTC One with ART. I just switched back to Dalvik today and all issues are gone. The one thing ART did a bit better is I felt the device responded better to my touch. More immediate.

The S5 ran faster, with less bugs on ART. The camera, suspiciously, also got a bit worse with ART I felt. Need some coding work there I suppose. I didn't find any bugs specific to ART with the S5.

If you've tried ART, what have been your findings?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: ART on HTC One vs. S5

The only bug I found on ART was a game that wouldn't run, so I switched back.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    MOAR 9

I replied in the ART thread, twice after boot up I couldn't turn the screen off, so I switched back.
    HTC One (M8) Stock For Now.
    David
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Oh yeah, I had the same issue also! The screen time out would be very screwed up. One time I couldn't turn it on for about 5 minutes.

Forgot about that.

Posted via Android Central App