Should I trade in my HTC one M8 for a LG G3 when it's released on Verizon?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I upgraded to the m8, we both have 30 days (business account) to swap the device under the "worry free guarantee" Verizon offers. I love the build and very much appreciate the smoothness of the UI. However I am a glutton for the latest and greatest. Should I trade? Opinions are appreciated.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the g2,it bridged me from the iPhone. Its a great phone and the g3 should be a no Brainer for a fan of the g2. I can't get the idea of the m8 out completely. I'm not huge into photograph,but my phone is my only camera. Is the smoothness worth it? How is the signal strength and call quality?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Signal strength and call quality have been excellent. Smoothness of the UI is of the utmost importance to me. I've had the s4 and the s5 (for a week) and there is something about the interface that just lags a bit. I've found the only phone close to matching the ui performance of an iPhone 5^ had been the original one, and the m8. I played around with a g2 for a couple hours and found performance to be "touchwizy"

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I think the signal strength is the same as any other phone I have had on the verizon network. It is ok...

Call quality is fine, but the speakers excel if you use speakerphone a lot.

My last phone was a droid razr maxx and while the speakerphone was fine, I struggled to hear calls via the ear piece quite often.

I don't use the camera enough to compare to other phones from personal experience but one benefit is that the camera is lightning fast. The quality is not as good as other phones per many reviews.

R

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I owned a G3 in the UK. Returned it due to signal problems and now have an m8. Coming from a nexus 5 there was just something wrong about the G3, it just wasn't as smooth and as fast as the nexus. It had too much software bloat. The m8 is awesome and feels like an upgrade from the nexus, HTC have done a great job on both software and hardware. The G3 whilst ok just wasn't all that for me. From my experience I would say don't swap you'll be disappointed but then everyone is different of course!

Posted via Android Central App

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
For that exact reason. The software. When you upgrade your phone you want it to be better, faster and smoother. It at least no worse. To me the G3 does not achieve this and felt like a step backwards in performance which to me was disappointing. Of course it's new and LG could do a lot with software updates so in time it may get better and better. Just depends if you want to be an early adopter I guess.

In really impressed with how good the m8 is and as a big fan of stock android I surprise myself in saying that I could almost just about say I prefer sense 6!

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking off trading my m8 in to get the LG G3 at one point. But then after I thought about it. I couldn't do it because I live the speaker on the M8 for watching movies before bed. The sound is like no other phone right now. I had the LG G2 and loved it a lot. But after having the M8 with its speakers and the trimmed down HTC sense. I just couldn't do it. The screen is nice but nnnnoooo go for me again. Just from my stand point that's what I think. It's really about with you feel us important to you. Hope you are happy with what ever you do.

HighOnHops

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am a tech junkie and will not be switching out my M8, but rather dropping my moto X for the G3. Had it for a while and will pick up the G3 as my second phone when it is released on VZW. Will probably ditch the M8 when the Note 4 is released if it looks like a good phone. I had the Note 3 and actually find the smaller phones harder to type on and find myself missing the larger size, so excited to check it out. It will be my first LG phone since an old flip phone.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
There is something about the HTC One M7&8 that is very responsive and fluid. That is my biggest concern with switching to a G3. From some of the video reviews (none were US carrier versions) the reviewer stated there was lag while navigating through the UI. thoughts?

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
A coworker just picked up the Note 3 (for 299 bucks I might add) and he said there was lag in email.

I was blown away.

I told him to sync for less days as maybe it was the sheer volume, but I just assumed that all new phones were super fast.

After all, I was coming from a two year old phone...

R

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Software deters me from the G3, while I love the phone itself, looks really nice. I cant get over the software since Sense is pretty much perfection in the world of android skins.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I would get the G3, but like it was said before the UI just doesn't cut it for me. It's to much like touchwiz. It's a definitely a flagship phone still just isn't for me.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 👍📱

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Most of the videos are done with phones that aren't totally finished from a UI stand point. I'm not a fan boy of any high end phone makers by no means. But I would almost guarantee that the G3 won't have much if any lag at all. After the UI is 100% for the US carrier launches. Truthfully it's really what feels good/looks good and works best for you.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I pondered over the G3 thing too. Plastic build and the speaker is on the back not to mention the screen size is too big for me. I've used Samsung for a few years now but it's time for a change. I've ordered the M8 and it'll be here Friday. The M8 will last me for a couple months.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I would just for the camera factor alone.
My wife and I upgraded to the m8, we both have 30 days (business account) to swap the device under the "worry free guarantee" Verizon offers. I love the build and very much appreciate the smoothness of the UI. However I am a glutton for the latest and greatest. Should I trade? Opinions are appreciated.

upatnite2

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think you should see one in person before deciding.

There's a bunch of reviews, and then there's some honest reviews, like from Erica and a few others, and they complain about the screen.
This screen has 11+ million sub pixels (each pixel has 3 sub pixels), and to drive that many pixels, we're seeing reviews that say it's "dim", along with low contrast.
With that, the inability to set the screen to 100% brightness for more than a few minutes?, otherwise it overheats. It's viewable in the sun, but we don't know how well.

I was hoping that the S805 chipped G3 would come here to the states, but we don't know if that's going to happen, and if it does, it won't be for a few more months if at all (my guess.)

There are some cool features on it, like the removable battery, wireless charging, micro sd card, the ability to put a different background on each screen, better camera than the M8, and on and on.

Like you, I really really wanted this phone, but you know what.. I just bought a brand new G2, and I'm going to hold out for the G4. If it wasn't for the display, I would have ordered it already.
Wish they had kept the ppi the same.

Good luck whichever way you choose.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Debating on adding a line to get the G3 for a hundred, then cancelling the line, but would like to see some real world reviews first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs