Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts

Default HTC One M8 GPE vs. HTC One M8 Sense 6 Edition

Alright, yes I am an Apple fan, and yes I do own a few Apple products, but recently I have been looking at the HTC One M8 instead of the iPhone 6. I have always really liked the iPhone, but the M8 offers basically everything I want: Aluminium Unibody design, 32 GB internal storage with the option of 128 GB SD card, Full HD 440 ppi display, front facing speakers, the list goes on and on.

I have been looking seriously into getting one and was wondering which you guys think is better. I like the stock Android experience, but the Sense 6 edition is cool because of all the features it offers (Slow Motion video, double tap to wake and sleep along with the rest of the motion gestures, BlinkFeed) but I can't get some of those features on the GPE. Which would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay

Default Re: HTC One M8 GPE vs. HTC One M8 Sense 6 Edition

They're both great devices, the gpe's advantage would be updates & less ram being used & also won't come w what u mentioned. Imo, I'd get the sense M8

Tapatalk'n On The M8 👍📱
    Flow39 likes this.

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts

I'm partial to the version with Sense as well. It's much improved over older versions, and comes with several apps that I find very useful (the tv app comes to mind right off the bat).
    Flow39 likes this.

It comes down to the software features you care about and which one you find more visually attractive.

Myself, I'm partial to Sense. I've used it since the olden days of the original Evo 4g.

Also a factor is whether you'd be interested in rooting and flashing things. The normal version can always be flashed with a stock android ROM, the same is likely true of the GPE to sense.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    Flow39 likes this.

I prefer Sense, vanilla android, although lighter and probably snappier by a little bit is just so boring to me now. I have it on my nexus 7 and I have no complaints, but overall, I like the look of Sense alot more as it adds that something extra. If I didnt have my Nexus 7, then maybe Id be more interested in GPE version. But having 2 vanilla android devices just seems too similar.
    Flow39 likes this.

I'm a former Apple fan who moved to android a few years ago. I was using a nexus 5 and swore I would never get a non nexus decvicr again but I couldn't resist the m8 and having had it a week now I would have to admit I probably prefer sense over stock. HTC really have done a great job with sense 6, it's light snappy yet it actually adds value. The enhancements they've made improve the experience.

I expect you'll be really happy with the one m8 and I'd go for the sense version for the added value. I'm not convinced stock would be much smoother or faster than this

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aldo82 View Post
    I'm a former Apple fan who moved to android a few years ago. I was using a nexus 5 and swore I would never get a non nexus decvicr again but I couldn't resist the m8 and having had it a week now I would have to admit I probably prefer sense over stock. HTC really have done a great job with sense 6, it's light snappy yet it actually adds value. The enhancements they've made improve the experience.

I expect you'll be really happy with the one m8 and I'd go for the sense version for the added value. I'm not convinced stock would be much smoother or faster than this

I did see a video where the GPE actually ran a game at a much higher FPS than the Sense version. It was GTA San Andreas or something, but overall I don't think that would matter because I won't be playing a lot of games on my device

Rooting is the solution, but the M8 sense version. If you want to try GPE, the root install a custom rom. I did that, went to XDA and the m8 forum. There are plenty to choose from. I tried the GPE, but didn't care too much for it. So I am on the ViperOne rom..

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

I really love Sense 6. However, if I had the cash sitting next to me, I would go with a Google Play Edition because I like having the latest and greatest Android updates first. However, it is nice that HTC promised to keep the Sense M8 version up-to-date with the latest version of Android L within 90 days of release.

I love my Macbook Pro and my iPad, but I am happier with the M8 as my phone over my prior iPhone 4. This phone is amazing. You won't go wrong with whatever phone you get.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I flashed to GPE and regret it. You cannot go back to stock either.

Quote Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
    Not even if you backed it up with something like Titanium beforehand?

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

GPE being Vanilla Android really defeats the purpose of what makes the M8 the awesome phone that it is in my opinion.

I'd say get the Sense verison. I think you could always flash GPE if you truly want it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

This doesn't work?

Restore HTC One M8 Google Play Edition back to St…:

Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

Going Sense is the WRONG answer. GPE, always. No exceptions^

I hated sense back in the day. It was BAD. Updated to the M8 with Sense 6 and BAM! In love!

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_NYC View Post
    This doesn't work?

Restore HTC One M8 Google Play Edition back to St…:

It works. I converted my AT&T M8 to GPE, didn't like it, and then converted back to Sense (developer edition). There's a tedious process to follow. Can't remember if that's the guide I followed. But it's definitely possible.

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ViperOne M8

By looking at the last part of your post, I can see where your mind is headed already. Just go for the Sense one, and you can convert it to GPE or just simply install a GPE ROM as mentioned above. You can even dual-boot between Sense and GPE using an app called MultiROM.
    kct1975 likes this.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I cannot stress this enough, PLEASE STICK TO SENSE 6.

Its cleaner
    Quicker
    You can do SO MUCH MORE such as but not including:
    Call Blocking
    Fast camera shoot
    Record in 60/120Fps
    Vibrate on Call Connect
    Multiple Gestures. (You cannot use the camera gesture in GPE)
    Much Simpler Apps and widgets
    Adjustable grid sizes
    Configable Settings in Notfications. (Auto Rotate etc)
    Power Saving mode

I could go on and on and on, people rave about Stock Android when all it is, is BARE BONES. You can have the speed, responsiveness and smoothness and still have all the extra bells and whistles. Sense 6 is just that.

I am using Android Revoultion Mod (which is Sense 6) just optimized for more features, but everything I mentioned above is included in STOCK sense and includes so much more.

Stick with Sense, please : )

I cannot stress this enough, PLEASE STICK TO SENSE 6.

Its cleaner
    Quicker
    You can do SO MUCH MORE such as but not including:
    Call Blocking
    Fast camera shoot
    Record in 60/120Fps
    Vibrate on Call Connect
    Multiple Gestures. (You cannot use the camera gesture in GPE)
    Much Simpler Apps and widgets
    Adjustable icon sizes
    Configable Settings in Notfications. (Auto Rotate etc)
    Power Saving mode

I could go on and on and on, people rave about Stock Android when all it is, is BARE BONES. You can have the speed, responsiveness and smoothness and still have all the extra bells and whistles. Sense 6 is just that.

I am using Android Revoultion Mod (which is Sense 6) just optimized for more features, but everything I mentioned above is included in STOCK sense and includes so much more.

Stick with Sense, please : )
    Adjustable icon sizes? How do I do that?

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whyareallthegoodnamestaken View Post
    Adjustable icon sizes? How do I do that?
    My wording was wrong, I mean't to say adjustable grid sizes.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

Its cleaner
    Quicker
    No.
    No.

p3ntyne likes this.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_NYC View Post
    No.
    No.

Somebody wishes they had sense.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

Somebody wishes they had sense.
    LOL^

I'm currently on a fling with the M8 while I wait for Microsoft to put out a decent flagship phone that will be a worthy upgrade to the 1520. I absolutely love Sense 6. I've owned a Nexus 5 and, while clean, sleek, fast, and up-to-date, Sense 6 seems to add good value to the phone. Not gimmicky junk. The gestures are very handy. The apps, while minimalistic, are quite useful. Having HTC backup has been quite nice. I recommend rooting and debloating or running a custom ROM. I'm currently running Android Revolution HD (just a debloated, optimized version of the stock Sense 6 ROM) and am getting exceptional battery life. Just today I got 7 hours of SoT. Seriously, this phone is making think twice about going back to WP....
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,898 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by black_lion View Post
    I'm currently on a fling with the M8 while I wait for Microsoft to put out a decent flagship phone that will be a worthy upgrade to the 1520. I absolutely love Sense 6. I've owned a Nexus 5 and, while clean, sleek, fast, and up-to-date, Sense 6 seems to add good value to the phone. Not gimmicky junk. The gestures are very handy. The apps, while minimalistic, are quite useful. Having HTC backup has been quite nice. I recommend rooting and debloating or running a custom ROM. I'm currently running Android Revolution HD (just a debloated, optimized version of the stock Sense 6 ROM) and am getting exceptional battery life. Just today I got 7 hours of SoT. Seriously, this phone is making think twice about going back to WP....
    LOL HTC Backup. Wait until you try and use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast