Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One M8 GPE vs. HTC One M8 Sense 6 Edition

Alright, yes I am an Apple fan, and yes I do own a few Apple products, but recently I have been looking at the HTC One M8 instead of the iPhone 6. I have always really liked the iPhone, but the M8 offers basically everything I want: Aluminium Unibody design, 32 GB internal storage with the option of 128 GB SD card, Full HD 440 ppi display, front facing speakers, the list goes on and on.

I have been looking seriously into getting one and was wondering which you guys think is better. I like the stock Android experience, but the Sense 6 edition is cool because of all the features it offers (Slow Motion video, double tap to wake and sleep along with the rest of the motion gestures, BlinkFeed) but I can't get some of those features on the GPE. Which would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay

Default Re: HTC One M8 GPE vs. HTC One M8 Sense 6 Edition

They're both great devices, the gpe's advantage would be updates & less ram being used & also won't come w what u mentioned. Imo, I'd get the sense M8

Tapatalk'n On The M8 👍📱
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    496 Global Posts

I'm partial to the version with Sense as well. It's much improved over older versions, and comes with several apps that I find very useful (the tv app comes to mind right off the bat).
    Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100
    Thanked by:

It comes down to the software features you care about and which one you find more visually attractive.

Myself, I'm partial to Sense. I've used it since the olden days of the original Evo 4g.

Also a factor is whether you'd be interested in rooting and flashing things. The normal version can always be flashed with a stock android ROM, the same is likely true of the GPE to sense.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    Thanked by:

I prefer Sense, vanilla android, although lighter and probably snappier by a little bit is just so boring to me now. I have it on my nexus 7 and I have no complaints, but overall, I like the look of Sense alot more as it adds that something extra. If I didnt have my Nexus 7, then maybe Id be more interested in GPE version. But having 2 vanilla android devices just seems too similar.
    HTC One of the Red variety
    Nexus 7 2013
    Droid DNA
    Droid Incredible (MP3 Player)
    Thanked by:

I'm a former Apple fan who moved to android a few years ago. I was using a nexus 5 and swore I would never get a non nexus decvicr again but I couldn't resist the m8 and having had it a week now I would have to admit I probably prefer sense over stock. HTC really have done a great job with sense 6, it's light snappy yet it actually adds value. The enhancements they've made improve the experience.

I expect you'll be really happy with the one m8 and I'd go for the sense version for the added value. I'm not convinced stock would be much smoother or faster than this

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by aldo82 View Post
    I'm a former Apple fan who moved to android a few years ago. I was using a nexus 5 and swore I would never get a non nexus decvicr again but I couldn't resist the m8 and having had it a week now I would have to admit I probably prefer sense over stock. HTC really have done a great job with sense 6, it's light snappy yet it actually adds value. The enhancements they've made improve the experience.

I expect you'll be really happy with the one m8 and I'd go for the sense version for the added value. I'm not convinced stock would be much smoother or faster than this

I did see a video where the GPE actually ran a game at a much higher FPS than the Sense version. It was GTA San Andreas or something, but overall I don't think that would matter because I won't be playing a lot of games on my device

Global Posts
    841 Global Posts

Rooting is the solution, but the M8 sense version. If you want to try GPE, the root install a custom rom. I did that, went to XDA and the m8 forum. There are plenty to choose from. I tried the GPE, but didn't care too much for it. So I am on the ViperOne rom..
    Oditius (HTC One M8 & Nokia Lumia 1520 w/AT&T & Dell Venue Pro II 128GB Tab)
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Wife says I am spending too much time on computer.

But I do stop when I go to bed, so it's not like I spend 24/7 on it!!!

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

I really love Sense 6. However, if I had the cash sitting next to me, I would go with a Google Play Edition because I like having the latest and greatest Android updates first. However, it is nice that HTC promised to keep the Sense M8 version up-to-date with the latest version of Android L within 90 days of release.

I love my Macbook Pro and my iPad, but I am happier with the M8 as my phone over my prior iPhone 4. This phone is amazing. You won't go wrong with whatever phone you get.