Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs up GPS comms not working - fix (in case this happens to you...)

Recently I was on a trip with my wife. I couldn't get Google Maps to find my location (accurately) no matter how I has the Location Services set. We had to use her iPhone maps instead. I thought "what a piece of crap this phone is as a GPS unit". Later I downloaded an app (GPS Status) and found that it could tell if I had the GPS turned on or off, but it could not find any GPS signals.

So as I was about to go to the Sprint store to get a replacement, I decided to try a factory reset first. I backed up my phone to the PC, cloud, etc., removed the SD card and reset the phone. I was surprised that the phone came back up and as I entered accounts and passwords into it, it retrieved almost everything back as it was before I started. Some apps needed to be downloaded again (nothing that mattered to me). The whole process took about 45 minutes and required little from me.

In the end, that solved the GPS problem and I lost no data. So if you find this happening to you, back it up (as many ways as possible) and perform a factory reset. It might solve the problem.

-Jeff
    HTC One (M8) Harman Kardon Edition (Sprint)

Global Posts
    9,793 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: GPS comms not working - fix (in case this happens to you...)

Glad you got it working again
    Thanks for sharing your solution. I'm sure it will come up again eventually
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

One thing to try to do before hard reset is use GPS Status to clear A-GPS then re-download A-GPS.
    I had this happen to me the other day and it took about 5 times longer then normal for me to get a GPS fix.
    But with in 10 seconds of clearing and downloading new A-GPS data it was back to normal.

Sorry to say but it will come back. Its been a bug in android since ICS on every phone I've own.