Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kilskev
  • 1 Post By lyriciss
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Phone storage, am I missing something?

Now i'm trying to work this out, its a 16gb uk one m8

Apps: 4.93gb
    Other 9.30gb.....

What exactly is 'other' because I cannot work out what is taking up that amount of space and i'm currently unable to download certain apps.

Default Re: Phone storage, am I missing something?

Try clearing Google services

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    oditius likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewndy View Post
    Now i'm trying to work this out, its a 16gb uk one m8

Apps: 4.93gb
    Other 9.30gb.....

What exactly is 'other' because I cannot work out what is taking up that amount of space and i'm currently unable to download certain apps.
    Other is also the operating system.

Global Posts
    891 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dRunzC0ld View Post
    Other is also the operating system.
    Not even a Windows Phone requires THAT much space. LoL My 1520 only uses 2.1GB I don't have my M8 with me to check, but I can't believe it would take that much for the OS.. Like mentioned above, clearing the cache out of google would help.
    Oditius (HTC One M8 & Nokia Lumia 1520 w/AT&T & Dell Venue Pro II 128GB Tab)
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Wife says I am spending too much time on computer.

But I do stop when I go to bed, so it's not like I spend 24/7 on it!!!

Go to the Play Store and download Clean Master. once you have it, clean out your Junk Files (only in the Basic Junk section...don't mess with Advanced Junk unless you KNOW what you're dealing with). more than likely, you have an abundance of log file and other junk files filling up your "other" section of memory of your phone's storage and don't know it.

Log files and the like are safe to delete, but they're usually pretty tough to find and delete on their own without help from an app. on my old jailbroken iPhone 4S, i used CCleaner. on my old Galaxy S2 and my current HTC One M8, I use Clean Master. I use it pretty often as well (maybe once every other day) and it always ends up deleting about 1 GB of junk files, so if you've never used it, you having 9 GB of junk files is pretty believable.

Quote Originally Posted by oditius View Post
    Not even a Windows Phone requires THAT much space. LoL My 1520 only uses 2.1GB I don't have my M8 with me to check, but I can't believe it would take that much for the OS.. Like mentioned above, clearing the cache out of google would help.
    Umm yeah it takes up quite a bit of space. Have you seen how much space Touchwiz takes up on the Galaxy S5? It takes up close to half of 16GB. I'm not the OP but I used that clean master app Lyriciss mentioned and Other still takes up almost 7GB. It's the OS, that's why you can't do anything with that Other section when you go in to free up space.

Global Posts
    891 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dRunzC0ld View Post
    Umm yeah it takes up quite a bit of space. Have you seen how much space Touchwiz takes up on the Galaxy S5? It takes up close to half of 16GB. I'm not the OP but I used that clean master app Lyriciss mentioned and Other still takes up almost 7GB. It's the OS, that's why you can't do anything with that Other section when you go in to free up space.
    Wow, really going to have to check that out when mine comes back. I wonder if it would matter that I am no longer stock? Oh, will see when I get it. But that is scary, specially if you only a 16GB of storage....
    _________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by oditius View Post
    Wow, really going to have to check that out when mine comes back. I wonder if it would matter that I am no longer stock? Oh, will see when I get it. But that is scary, specially if you only a 16GB of storage....
    Yeah, I failed to realize that you hadn't factored in the size of Sense 6 already. I have a 32GB Sprint HTC One M8, plus a 64GB external SD card, so the storage the OS took up on my phone seemed pretty minimal. I would always suggest getting external SD storage when available on a phone, though. Makes it easier to transfer data if you change phones in the future, which most people eventually do at some point in their lives.
    oditius likes this.

Global Posts
    891 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lyriciss View Post
    Yeah, I failed to realize that you hadn't factored in the size of Sense 6 already. I have a 32GB Sprint HTC One M8, plus a 64GB external SD card, so the storage the OS took up on my phone seemed pretty minimal. I would always suggest getting external SD storage when available on a phone, though. Makes it easier to transfer data if you change phones in the future, which most people eventually do at some point in their lives.
    Been on a Windows Phone so long, I had forgotten about how large the Android OS is. I have a 128GB card in both, so room not a problem. I just don't automatically load to the SD, (Music, downloads and pics I do) so when I get close to running out of room, I make more by deciding, which I use a lot and which I don't. The ones I don't, get moved or uninstalled.