Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Default G2 to M8

So I just "edged up"****** to a M8 and it's a bit of a learning curve and I have a few questions...
    1- How does the power button hold up? I'm trying to find a Knock On/Off app that works because I'm a bit concerned about wearing out the button... mine feels loose.
    2- When I adjust the volume +/- with headphones/without headphones the audio becomes crackly and distorted for a split second... is that normal?
    3. Has anyone gotten QuickPic to work properly with the stock camera app? It doesn't show a small image preview in the bottom right after I take the photo. Or is there another app I should be using?

I'll probably think of more but thanks for any help you can give :-)!

- Joel

******To Verizon customers: Make sure when you sign up for Edge you don't use someone elses upgrade on your account... I had to buy out the G2 just to have a device to trade in to edge up... confusing but if you want more information on the situation I'll provide!

Global Posts
    19,068 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: G2 to M8

I can't remember where in Sense, but there should be a double tap to wake the device.

Edit: Just found it. Settings>Display & Gestures/Display, Gestures & buttons>Tap Motion Launch Gestures>Check the box to enable.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I can't remember where in Sense, but there should be a double tap to wake the device.
    I know there are gestures but that's just to wake and it's a swipe that seems to bypass the lock screen (I could be wrong I have had it turned off for a few days)

Global Posts
    19,068 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by joelvin View Post
    I know there are gestures but that's just to wake and it's a swipe that seems to bypass the lock screen (I could be wrong I have had it turned off for a few days)
    But if you look at it this way: That cuts your power clicks by 50%

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Doesn't it double tapping the screen also turn it off? Or am I just crazy?

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I use an app called Screen Off And Lock that turns off the screen without touching the power button.

Yes try screen off and lock. Once activated swipe up the home button as if activating Google now and it'll give u the choice to use screen off and lock instead. If u set this then swiping up the home button will switch off the screen. I hardly ever touch the power button.

Posted via Android Central App

That depends on your timeout and security settings, and potentially how you turned off the screen (like the app mentioned above). If you use the power button to turn off but have the timeout set, turning the screen back on will take you to the lock screen that you can swipe up to unlock. After the timeout has expired or if turned off with an app that also locks the phone, what happens when you turn the screen on depends on an option in Settings > Security.

In that screen is an option to "bypass lock screen on wake." If not selected (I think this is the default), turning the screen on goes to the lock screen. When you swipe to unlock, then it takes you to the security screen if you have one setup. With the option checked, turning the screen on takes you directly to the security screen, saving you a step to get into the phone. That's how mine is setup.

I use the stock double tap option to wake my phone, but I use a different app than listed in the other posts to tap mine off. It's called HTC Gesture Listener, and I found it in this post. Tap with 3 fingers and it turns off/locks the screen, which still leaves swiping up from the home button free for Google or if you think you'd be turning your phone off all the time swiping that area for something else. I'd personally love to turn that specific gesture off all together, but that's another topic.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Thanks for the suggestions! Also I've noticed I can change the ringer volume without unlocking the phone... is that normal? Seems like you shouldn't be able to do that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

I was using knock lock, which worked sporadically, after reading this I installed the HTC gesture one and works flawlessly, THANKS

Thanks for the suggestions! Also I've noticed I can change the ringer volume without unlocking the phone... is that normal? Seems like you shouldn't be able to do that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    Should only change volume when the screen is on but yes it can do it when it's locked

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Apple_iOS View Post
    Doesn't it double tapping the screen also turn it off? Or am I just crazy?
    Only from the lockscreen.

I've been using screen Off and Lock with Home Launcher. This lets me turn off the phone and still access Google Now when swiping up from the home button.

Sent from HTC One M8 Using AC Forums app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G2 to M8-1405744277320.jpg  

I found this over at XDA, just tap the screen w three fingers & it works flawless.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G2 to M8-87324.jpg  

I'm going to M8 soon!