G2 to M8

joelvin

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
So I just "edged up"****** to a M8 and it's a bit of a learning curve and I have a few questions...
1- How does the power button hold up? I'm trying to find a Knock On/Off app that works because I'm a bit concerned about wearing out the button... mine feels loose.
2- When I adjust the volume +/- with headphones/without headphones the audio becomes crackly and distorted for a split second... is that normal?
3. Has anyone gotten QuickPic to work properly with the stock camera app? It doesn't show a small image preview in the bottom right after I take the photo. Or is there another app I should be using?

I'll probably think of more but thanks for any help you can give :)!

- Joel

******To Verizon customers: Make sure when you sign up for Edge you don't use someone elses upgrade on your account... I had to buy out the G2 just to have a device to trade in to edge up... confusing but if you want more information on the situation I'll provide!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't remember where in Sense, but there should be a double tap to wake the device.

Edit: Just found it. Settings>Display & Gestures/Display, Gestures & buttons>Tap Motion Launch Gestures>Check the box to enable.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know there are gestures but that's just to wake and it's a swipe that seems to bypass the lock screen (I could be wrong I have had it turned off for a few days)

But if you look at it this way: That cuts your power clicks by 50%

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes try screen off and lock. Once activated swipe up the home button as if activating Google now and it'll give u the choice to use screen off and lock instead. If u set this then swiping up the home button will switch off the screen. I hardly ever touch the power button.

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I know there are gestures but that's just to wake and it's a swipe that seems to bypass the lock screen (I could be wrong I have had it turned off for a few days)

That depends on your timeout and security settings, and potentially how you turned off the screen (like the app mentioned above). If you use the power button to turn off but have the timeout set, turning the screen back on will take you to the lock screen that you can swipe up to unlock. After the timeout has expired or if turned off with an app that also locks the phone, what happens when you turn the screen on depends on an option in Settings > Security.

In that screen is an option to "bypass lock screen on wake." If not selected (I think this is the default), turning the screen on goes to the lock screen. When you swipe to unlock, then it takes you to the security screen if you have one setup. With the option checked, turning the screen on takes you directly to the security screen, saving you a step to get into the phone. That's how mine is setup.

I use the stock double tap option to wake my phone, but I use a different app than listed in the other posts to tap mine off. It's called HTC Gesture Listener, and I found it in this post. Tap with 3 fingers and it turns off/locks the screen, which still leaves swiping up from the home button free for Google or if you think you'd be turning your phone off all the time swiping that area for something else. I'd personally love to turn that specific gesture off all together, but that's another topic. :p

joelvin

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions! Also I've noticed I can change the ringer volume without unlocking the phone... is that normal? Seems like you shouldn't be able to do that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I was using knock lock, which worked sporadically, after reading this I installed the HTC gesture one and works flawlessly, THANKS

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions! Also I've noticed I can change the ringer volume without unlocking the phone... is that normal? Seems like you shouldn't be able to do that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Should only change volume when the screen is on but yes it can do it when it's locked

Posted via Android Central App

craftmatic35

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been using screen Off and Lock with Home Launcher. This lets me turn off the phone and still access Google Now when swiping up from the home button.

Sent from HTC One M8 Using AC Forums app

Attachments

• 1405744277320.jpg
    1405744277320.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 42

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I found this over at XDA, just tap the screen w three fingers & it works flawless.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Attachments

• 87324.jpg
    87324.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 34

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463