Thinking of getting the M8, but...

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
For a few weeks now, I've been very interested in the M8. I like Sense 6 and the design of the phone. I am currently a Windows Phone user (Lumia 920), and heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem. The sad thing is that Microsoft has all of their services on other platforms, which makes WP have very little advantages.

The one thing that annoys me with Android is that it can get slow after a year of use, even on Nexus's (I saw it on my friends GN and my N4, before I sold it). I don't want the M8 in a year or two to become laggy, or keep needed to do factory resets to improve the speed. It seems the S801 is pretty much identical to the S800, so I'm not sure if I should wait for the new Nexus or new Moto. I don't know what to do. If you guys could help me out, that would be great.

BTW, this doesn't mean I'm FULLY switching to Android, as I will probably buy the 1020 successor or McLaren (they are probably the same thing though), just I will probably go from my M8 or other Android phone to the new WP. As for now, if I get a new Android phone and I like it, my 920 will probably sit in my drawer...

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not concerned with the phone slowing down anytime soon. I had the m7 last year and never had an issue with that at all. Same w/ the EVO LTE the year prior. You probably wonder why I upgraded then and the answer is simple: because I have an addiction. The differences between the 800 and 801 are negligible on certain levels, but one real benefit comes in power management and the fact that they're putting more and more of the modems on a single chip. My battery life on this phone has been pretty stellar.

I'm not a big Nexus guy so I can't give you any advice on that. I find vanilla Android to be a little TOO vanilla. I like Sense because it adds a lot of features without blowing up OS. That really is this one of this phone's strong suits, and HTC's in general. The small things they do with the software and the features that they add are pretty excellent. So much so that eventually lots of them end up being part of Android itself down the line.

Posted via Android Central App

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not concerned with the phone slowing down anytime soon. I had the m7 last year and never had an issue with that at all. Same w/ the EVO LTE the year prior. You probably wonder why I upgraded then and the answer is simple: because I have an addiction. The differences between the 800 and 801 are negligible on certain levels, but one real benefit comes in power management and the fact that they're putting more and more of the modems on a single chip. My battery life on this phone has been pretty stellar.

I'm not a big Nexus guy so I can't give you any advice on that. I find vanilla Android to be a little TOO vanilla. I like Sense because it adds a lot of features without blowing up OS. That really is this one of this phone's strong suits, and HTC's in general. The small things they do with the software and the features that they add are pretty excellent. So much so that eventually lots of them end up being part of Android itself down the line.

Now I'm even more tempted to get an M8. :D

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The only issue I've noticed with Android becoming slow depends on how old the phone was in the manufacturer lifecycle when you bought it and what you plan to do on it. If you're someone that just does basic email and some YouTube, then even a basic Android phone may work for you. If you're a gamer/power user that installs a lot of big apps, then even a flagship phone may have trouble keeping up near the end as those programs advance past the phone's capabilities. It's mostly about your usage because raw performance (I.e. processor and bus speeds) doesn't really degrade in that amount of time. It's simply a fact of the phone doing a lot more as time goes on.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Former nexus user using a one m8 now. I really like sense and it runs so fast and fluidly that it must be coded well. This gives me confidence that it'll stay speedy over time. When you look at something like the G3 (which I owned for a few days) it has lag issues which given its high specs show that the LG skin is poorly coded and bloated so I'd be more worried about how that would progress over time. I really enjoy sense and think it offers more than a nexus. Google don't update the core OS often and leave many bugs and holes in the OS. That's why custom roms are so popular. In a way sense is like a custom rom which adds value to Android. The HTC engineers have worked well to improve the overall experience

Will6371

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I also have a few Nokia phones, 520, two 925s,1020 and a 1520 with a 930 on the way.

I have this M8 as a result of a bet with a friend who bet me that if I used an M8 for a month and didn't want to keep it he would pay for my tickets to the F1 in Spa.

I got my M8 two weeks ago and I have to say that the phone is smooth and a good match for either the 925s and the 1020 but not as smooth as the 1520

I still prefer the windows platform but if I was to move to android again it would definitely be a htc.

If your worried about using android with windows is crosses over very well with the 'Drive' app and others like Xbox music.

Wrathen

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I just switched 3 days ago from a Nexus 4 to a HTC 1M8 and I have to say the jump in performance was pretty huge. Granted the Nexus 4 is getting close to 2 years old now so I would hope it has a nice jump. My main fear in changing was I really liked the stock Android experience but I have to say Sense is really smooth the few things that are different (dailer, clock, Blinkfeed, few menus) are different but just as good. I only miss one feature from the stock Clock app and its a fairly small one.

I do really like some of the changes that HTC made from the stock Kitkat. The gestures are GREAT (though I'm still getting used to using them), Blinkfeed is good I think I would love it more if I was a big social media person but I'm not but it has gotten me to use social media more than I was before SOOO that is saying alot it has most likely doubled my social media usage.

I haven't ever owned a windows phone so I cant take to them but up until the iPhone 5 released I had only had iPhones since the original one came out so I was pretty invested in the Apple ecosystem but with the large quantity of free apps and buying over time it wasn't a huge lose in changing.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Even on my old HTC Droid DNA, which was running a much older cpu and older version of sense (5.5) the phone ran really smooth til the day I made the switch to M8. Im like others on here, I enjoy having latest and greatest when it comes to new tech, mainly HTC phones.

Trwood12

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the m8. While I love the physical design, and sense 6 is for the most part a very enjoyably user experience, I would also suggest taking a good hard look at the LG g3 as another option. Test them both out and see what you like better. They are both excellent devices.

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the m8. While I love the physical design, and sense 6 is for the most part a very enjoyably user experience, I would also suggest taking a good hard look at the LG g3 as another option. Test them both out and see what you like better. They are both excellent devices.

I've looked into the G3, but have complaints about it. First, VERY SLOW at getting software updates. And second, Optimous UI is cluttery and all over the place.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Having such a high pixel display running essentially the same hardware as the M8 is the biggest thing that kept me from the G3, and the test results I've read confirmed my suspicions when it comes to gaming and such.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't worry about the phone slowing down. The reason is that HTC has promised to keep their phones up-to-date for at least 2 years and keep them on the latest version of Android. If the phones are being upgraded software-wise, you can expect that games and apps will be better suited for the newer version of the OS and your phone will have it.

The HTC One M8 is a veritable powerhouse, so you should be good to go for a couple of years.

I absolutely love my M8. I have had it on Verizon since the early release in March. I have not had the phone slow down in the past 4 months, so it is a good start.

Good luck with your decision.

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My last phone was the LG G2 and I lived the phone. The UI was something I thought was going to annoy me. But after using it a day or two,,I fell in love😏. I decided to get the M8 because they had a buy one get one free promo. I did keep the LG if I didn't like it. A few weeks went by and put it on eBay. Because the speakers and the build quality of the M8 made me cheat on LG G2. 😏The only slight downfall was the camera if you ask me. But I never looked at a phone as something to take great pictures with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18