Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is my phone being kept awake?

This is the second time this has happened and it's really starting to get on my nerves.

This time when I woke up, though, instead of my phone being kept awake from around 730 am to 9 am, losing about 20%-30% battery life, it was kept awake from around 2 am to 9 am, going from 67% battery life to 8% battery life.

The first time this happened I posted about it here Google+ keeping phone awake. I noticed that google+ had kept my phone awake for over an hour in the usage report. I knew something was not right, but no one else seemed to be experiencing what I was talking about so I chalked it up as an anomaly and just disabled google+ hoping this would never happen again.

Until about an hour ago when I woke up to the sound of my phone alerting me that I had less than 10% battery life when I had not even used the phone since 1am this morning, about 7-8 hours ago. When I checked the history report I read that it had been kept awake again since around the time I went to sleep which, again, was 7-8 hours ago. I don't remember doing anything with the phone that could have triggered it to stay awake for as long as it did.

The only thing I was doing on the phone before going to bed and turning the screen off was browsing reddit and then setting an alarm for 9 am. When i stopped redditing i exited the app and even cleared it from the recent apps list. Also in the usage report it said that reddit was not keeping the phone awake, so I do not think it was that. The only other thing that I did was set an alarm but that wouldn't keep my phone awake would it?

One thing I did notice when I checked the usage report was that no apps listed in the report showed keeping the phone awake for more than a minute. So I could not actually see what app kept the phone awake for so long. I did check the running services and noticed that amazon had been running for 11 hours, which I thought was pretty unusual, so I went ahead and disabled that app as well.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here or has anyone else experienced something like this?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Global Posts
    31,647 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: Why is my phone being kept awake?

I would install wakelock detector and look this guide over: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...wakelocks.html

Link for the app is in the guide.

I would check and see if you have any sync errors in Settings>Accounts and sync>Google>click you email>uncheck any error syncs. See if that helps.
    mudwub likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I noticed that the app says I need to be rooted to use it. Unfortunately my phone is not rooted. I'm not sure if I want to root it either.

Is there any other app I could use that will tell me which apps are being held awake the longest?

Or should I just root my phone?

Global Posts
    31,647 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by mudwub View Post
    I noticed that the app says I need to be rooted to use it. Unfortunately my phone is not rooted. I'm not sure if I want to root it either.

Is there any other app I could use that will tell me which apps are being held awake the longest?

Or should I just root my phone?
    I forgot that wakelock needed root. Sorry.

Should you root? If you would like, but root access shouldn't be needed to fix this.

Have you tried clearing the app caches for apps like G+ and Facebook?

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
    mudwub likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm thinking I might root my phone in the near future to uninstall some of this bloat ware.

As for the keep awake problem, in my account settings I have auto sync turned off and google wasn't showing it having any problems syncing. I have had problems syncing in the past but it would go away pretty soon after it started. I will definitely try clearing the cache of some apps.

I forgot to mention this before, but I have some apps disabled on my phone, including google plus and now Amazon as I believe amazon might have been the app keeping my phone awake, although I don't know how. Do you think having all these apps disabled could be part of the problem?

Another thing is, its been 14 days between these two incidents. So I'm not sure what could have triggered this.

Global Posts
    31,647 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

I'm thinking I might root my phone in the near future to uninstall some of this bloat ware.

As for the keep awake problem, in my account settings I have auto sync turned off and google wasn't showing it having any problems syncing. I have had problems syncing in the past but it would go away pretty soon after it started. I will definitely try clearing the cache of some apps.

I forgot to mention this before, but I have some apps disabled on my phone, including google plus and now Amazon as I believe amazon might have been the app keeping my phone awake, although I don't know how. Do you think having all these apps disabled could be part of the problem?

Another thing is, its been 14 days between these two incidents. So I'm not sure what could have triggered this.
    First, let's get some basics out of the way. If you have already done them, don't sweat it.

Reboot, and if that and see if that helps. Last thing to try is a cache clear in recovery.

Edit: made a suggestion that wouldn't have worked anyway.

mudwub likes this.

I've found that while the screen is off my battery drops by 20% from the data being left on. I've turned it off while I sleep & my percentage moves maybe a percent or two for eight or more hours.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
    mudwub likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have tried resetting the phone and clearing the cache. My phone isn't being kept awake anymore, when I saw it at 8% thus morning I immediately reset, disabled amazon and plugged it in to charge it.

Its fine now, I'm just curious what I can do to prevent this in the future and what's making these apps perform a wake lock for hours on end?

Should I chalk both incidents up as an anomaly or should I be concerned?

As for turning my data off, I have that one option on where dsta connection turns off after a certain period of inactivity.

Global Posts
    31,647 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

I have tried resetting the phone and clearing the cache. My phone isn't being kept awake anymore, when I saw it at 8% thus morning I immediately reset, disabled amazon and plugged it in to charge it.

Its fine now, I'm just curious what I can do to prevent this in the future and what's making these apps perform a wake lock for hours on end?

Should I chalk both incidents up as an anomaly or should I be concerned?

As for turning my data off, I have that one option on where dsta connection turns off after a certain period of inactivity.
    The down side is, a wake lock can be anything. Facebook I have heard is nefarious for wakelocks. I had one several days ago that I couldn't figure out what it was. To this day, I still don't know what. Sometimes it just happens to all of us.

mudwub likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yeah, I just wish it would show up in usage. Especially since its keeping the phone awake for hours, you would think the phone would pick that up as heavy usage and the app doing it would be at the top of the list.

Do you think because I have disabled a couple of apps on my phone that that could be part of the problem?

I have kid mode, my tmobile account, amazon, google+ and hangouts disabled.

Global Posts
    31,647 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Yeah, I just wish it would show up in usage. Especially since its keeping the phone awake for hours, you would think the phone would pick that up as heavy usage and the app doing it would be at the top of the list.

Do you think because I have disabled a couple of apps on my phone that that could be part of the problem?

I have kid mode, my tmobile account, amazon, google+ and hangouts disabled.
    Theoretically, that is a possibility, but highly unlikely.
    Nancy Will and mudwub like this.

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts

very interesting, having battery issues with my phone and it sounds like this is what it is. it's now dead in 1/4 the time it normally would be. here is how the screen shot for a bit ago looked (below). so usually turning it off and pulling the batter fixes an issue like this? or even just a restart? i'm new to android, and up until today it has lasted a solid 36 hours.