Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Emoji support

Alright guys, less because I want to use them and more because I think it should let me if I want to, how do you get emoji's to send correctly via text without using a 3rd party messaging app. Is it even possible? On mine and all my friend's Android phones, it shows up locally on the device in the text box but then goes through as the diamond question mark icons. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Default Re: Emoji support

I use mine through SwiftKey
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by lyriciss View Post
    I use mine through SwiftKey
    As do I, but regardless of what keyboard I, or others, use, the recipient never gets them.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

I think you are tackling this from the wrong angle. What makes you think you have the problem? You need to look at the device that doesn't recognize the emojis. You aren't having problems sending them. They can't receive them.

Quote Originally Posted by DKatman View Post
    I think you are tackling this from the wrong angle. What makes you think you have the problem? You need to look at the device that doesn't recognize the emojis. You aren't having problems sending them. They can't receive them.
    Exactly, it varies on what Android they're running or if its not an Android, how dated is the receiving phone. I have several friends who can't receive them BC their phones basically doesn't support them unless its an iPhone.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    Exactly, it varies on what Android they're running or if its not an Android, how dated is the receiving phone. I have several friends who can't receive them BC their phones basically doesn't support them unless its an iPhone.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
    What do you mean by unless it's an iPhone?

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

In reply to all,
    It's not just the phones I send to, it's receiving them on my phone too. I have the standard smiley ones and the watch one which seem to be built into Sense or whatever. But anything else, despite displaying just fine when I enter them and send them, will be the diamonds with question marks if someone sends the exact same ones to me.
    This is the case on my M8, my friend's M8, my girlfriend's M7 running Sense 6, and Galaxy S5, Moto X, and another M8 of other respective friends.

Same exact thing for all of them. The emojis display for the sender in their messaging app when they type and send them, but not for the recipient.

Sent from my HTC One M8
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

To clarify further, the same result is achieved regardless of what keyboard is used. It's just particularly confusing to me since all these phones are running the latest version of Android, or close to it, and we've tested making sure we all have the same keyboards installed, it just doesn't make sense that we can see the outgoing ones but not the incoming.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by kronosqq View Post
    As do I, but regardless of what keyboard I, or others, use, the recipient never gets them.

Sent from my HTC One M8
    not exactly sure what's up then. my girlfriend, who has a Galaxy S4, receives my emojis, as well as sends them to me, no issues at all.
    also my manager, who has an iPhone 5s, can see the emojis i send, as well as i can receive the ones he sends.
    my emojis also show on social media.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by lyriciss View Post
    not exactly sure what's up then. my girlfriend, who has a Galaxy S4, receives my emojis, as well as sends them to me, no issues at all.
    also my manager, who has an iPhone 5s, can see the emojis i send, as well as i can receive the ones he sends.
    my emojis also show on social media.
    And that includes the ones that aren't just in the :P kind of category?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_NYC View Post
    What do you mean by unless it's an iPhone?

IPhone supports emojis no matter how old it is, unlike Android that started in jelly bean

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Just discovered the problem. Apparently Sprint + Google Voice integration with my number = no sending or receiving emojis. It's unfortunate and kind of pathetic that they can't figure out a way to fix this, but I'll take the awesome Google Voice integration over emojis.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Hey odd. I have no problem sending or receiving them. Where did you get your phone?

I should add I use standard messaging app.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_NYC View Post
    Hey odd. I have no problem sending or receiving them. Where did you get your phone?

Are you on Sprint? I saw some forum postings to which Sprint care had responded. It's an issue with Google voice in some way breaking emojis when it's integrated with your Sprint number.

Sent from my HTC One M8