LG G3 or HTC One (M8)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you want reliable, mature, error free performance, then the m8 is the way to go.
With the G3, LG is chasing specs to the detriment of the user experience. The g3's engine can't keep up with the screen and performance suffers greatly. I want a smooth, cohesive, reliable user experience. G3 cannot supply that. I don't want to have to wait until my device cools down sufficiently before I can resume watching my videos. Or constantly worry about overheating and watching the screen dim in order to aid in cooling. I don't want a battery that suffers dramatically due to all the juice the uneccessarily juiced up screen requires.
The m8 offers a consistent performance. Day in and day out. The G3 is just too buggy. I'm amazed LG released it in that condition. Chasing specs. User experience be damned.
In the g3's defense a lot of those issues don't seem to be experienced by the majority of users. At least it doesn't seem it from the threads I have read about the issues. Upon testing the g3 at the store myself I can say that I was not a fan at all of the ui lag though. Not terrible but enough to make it feel like a mid range phone with a premium price tag.

ime95mos

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
LG has always been like this. Based on experience and previous phones. Extremely state-of-the-art HW but "crappy" SW. There is no point of great HW if you don't have the knowledge of doing SW that can benefit from it.

That is why LG is on my blacklist.

rnd0209

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Just had about a week with an LG G3 as my daily driver, to make a long story short I returned it for an M8 (I came from an M8 which I gave to my father in law for his upgrade go get the G3! LOL)

Posted via Android Central App

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I was set on a G3 but my friend's G3 kept randomly shutting down. He would think the phone was on and it would be off. Now I'm looking at the M8 but am worried about the lens film issue and the radios for low reception areas. Can someone please let me know if I should be wary of these issues?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The lens is a non-issue, really. Yeah, you shouldn't have to desk with it, but it's very minor to the bugs and defects that sometimes plague phones. My reception has gone down some, but coming from a Motorola phone, just about anything is going to have less reception. Lol. Still, it's nothing that's bothered me, and I travel for a living into some pretty remote areas.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
If you want reliable, mature, error free performance, then the m8 is the way to go.
With the G3, LG is chasing specs to the detriment of the user experience. The g3's engine can't keep up with the screen and performance suffers greatly. I want a smooth, cohesive, reliable user experience. G3 cannot supply that. I don't want to have to wait until my device cools down sufficiently before I can resume watching my videos. Or constantly worry about overheating and watching the screen dim in order to aid in cooling. I don't want a battery that suffers dramatically due to all the juice the uneccessarily juiced up screen requires.
The m8 offers a consistent performance. Day in and day out. The G3 is just too buggy. I'm amazed LG released it in that condition. Chasing specs. User experience be damned.

LG has always been like this. Based on experience and previous phones. Extremely state-of-the-art HW but "crappy" SW. There is no point of great HW if you don't have the knowledge of doing SW that can benefit from it.

That is why LG is on my blacklist.
I've put both LG and Samsung on my blacklist because I find them both troublesome with what you described.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I was set on a G3 but my friend's G3 kept randomly shutting down. He would think the phone was on and it would be off. Now I'm looking at the M8 but am worried about the lens film issue and the radios for low reception areas. Can someone please let me know if I should be wary of these issues?
My last phone was a Samsung Stratosphere, and in the same locations I used the Stratosphere I get much stronger signals (both wifi and 4G) and much faster speeds (again both wifi and 4G) with the HTC One m8 then I did with the old phone.

BTW: If the demo units at your store have the wifi analyzer and speed test apps on them (I believe I saw both on the demo phone at my local store when I was tinkering with the phones while I was waiting for the worker to get my ordered one from the back room) then you can test the wireless reception on both yourself.

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

I live in a low reception area and that is a major reason I have an HTC. My m8 gets way better service than my gs3 did! Moto and HTC seem to have the best radios!

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Out of the 4 phones at my house, Galaxy s4,Nokia 1020,iPhone 4s,and my m8,I get better reception than anyone both on cellular and WiFi and this is anywhere we are at on AT&T.

I was worried about it too, but my fears subsided rather quickly after getting mine.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
As stated earlier, the lens film issue is a non issue. many people have had success by just wiping it off and being done with it, and many people myself included haven't had the issue at all.

The radio's however I can see your concern, but I don't think it would be a concern for you. I switched to the m8 from an iPhone 5 and it is a very noticeable difference in radio reception. One particular place where my girlfriend gets one bar of LTE on her droid mini (Moto radio's) I get 3 bars of either 3g or 1x. Yeah, 1x. In the phones defense, I have only seen that occur in one spot and WiFi is available in that spot for me. And calls were perfectly clear in that area as well.

TLDR: yeah the radio's are weaker but it's not crippling.

Terrence Godchaux

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
After reading the many discouraging reports of the LG G3 on this topic, I cannot say I agree at all. Accept for a shorter battery life, the LG G3 has performed well without any lags, shutdowns or overheating.

I nearly bought the HTC, and still consider it a fine phone. I do remember when it first came out that it too had many bugs, especially with the camera, but they were worked out with updates.

The LG will no doubt need updates as well, and as it's still using 4.4.2, I hope my only issue of battery life can be better managed with the next OTA.

Fotoav8r

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Lots of good info in this thread, but I just wanted to acknowledge that there is almost NO lag on this phone at all with normal use. That has been my pet peeve with every phone I've ever had, and I love the way this device just sings when I need it to.

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I messed around with both phones in the store today and they were both awesome. No lag in either and the screens on both were excellent. Max brightness on the G3 was somewhat disappointing but not a deal breaker. G3 screen size definitely wins but the m8 just felt better in the hand.

I now realize what people mean when they say the Samsung S5 is cartoonish but the Note 3 was awesome. I'm now more confused on what to get than I was before going to the store.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No lag in either...

That's actually to be expected with demos. You figure demo phones don't really have anything but the stock apps running. So there likely isn't anything installed that would lag them. Also consider that they get tinkered with for a few minutes at a time and then sit, so they aren't really heated up enough to cause throttling. You have to use them under real world circumstances to see if there's any lag. And then your specific usage comes into play as to if, and how much, any lag happens.

AndroidFanatic247

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Decided to go with the HTC One M8. I have been pretty satisfied with the phone especially its blazing speed. The only thing that took getting used to was the Camera, it is a decent camera but nothing spectacular. Other than that, an amazing phone.