New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

jeffjop

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so my M8 will be here Thursday (I'll be getting the Verizon version) and I have been going through this forum like a hawk. There are tons of tips and tricks but I was wondering in particular to the initial setup. So I have to ask you guys. What are the things I should do, or should not do right out of the box? I'm hoping to avoid some of the issues previous threads have been about (LED not working, Battery issues etc).

So any advice and input is appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so my M8 will be here Thursday (I'll be getting the Verizon version) and I have been going through this forum like a hawk. There are tons of tips and tricks but I was wondering in particular to the initial setup. So I have to ask you guys. What are the things I should do, or should not do right out of the box? I'm hoping to avoid some of the issues previous threads have been about (LED not working, Battery issues etc).

So any advice and input is appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!
For me, and many others, it took a solid week before the battery settled in. So until then, I would not be concerned about battery life.

I can show you a screenshot of how mine is set up with Nova Launcher.

Have you been using android for a while?

memphislawyer

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I got my phone on Saturday and charged it for the second time Sunday night while I slept. I feel much better now about the battery. My normal usage and it shows I have used 46% in 1 day and 4 hours. That was about how long I got on the first charge, though I think I played with downloading some apps and modifying settings a bit more. But yes, I can see that my battery is settling down. Im pleased

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I got my phone on Saturday and charged it for the second time Sunday night while I slept. I feel much better now about the battery. My normal usage and it shows I have used 46% in 1 day and 4 hours. That was about how long I got on the first charge, though I think I played with downloading some apps and modifying settings a bit more. But yes, I can see that my battery is settling down. Im pleased

Cool. It does do well for battery use.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

jeffjop

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
For me, and many others, it took a solid week before the battery settled in. So until then, I would not be concerned about battery life.

I can show you a screenshot of how mine is set up with Nova Launcher.

Have you been using android for a while?

Screenshots would be awesome.
I have used android since the original moto droid. Switched to iphone for about 4 months but currently putting along on my galaxy nexus.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is Nova and how I have mine set up

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

Attachments

• 1406087100275.jpg
    1406087100275.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 45

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Screenshots would be awesome.
I have used android since the original moto droid. Switched to iphone for about 4 months but currently putting along on my galaxy nexus.

With the above screenshot, I used 3 Nova actions in the Dock, and left all my apps in the center. I used Dashclock widget to take up space on the top.

All this is to reduce my need to reach the upper most portion of the device as possible, as the M8 is a little tall for my hands.

jeffjop

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
With the above screenshot, I used 3 Nova actions in the Dock, and left all my apps in the center. I used Dashclock widget to take up space on the top.

All this is to reduce my need to reach the upper most portion of the device as possible, as the M8 is a little tall for my hands.

I love that clock!
And I have small hands so the the height scares me a little bit but it's nice to see their are software/app solutions.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I love that clock!
And I have small hands so the the height scares me a little bit but it's nice to see their are software/app solutions.

The Nova actions helped out a lot...as in I went from maybe taking the phone back to keeping it. The one on the left opens the Notification Shade, the center is the App Drawer, and the right is Quick Toggles.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning to get an HTC One M8 tomorrow (Sunday). I recently came across the following tip:
https://passport.mobilenations.com/...PQtp0HUzNjwavjQwDbgXFz2Jqa2_8qVkcT9-wNQXFxAUg,,

From what I've read the HTC One M8 and Sense 6 are already extremely responsive and without lag, so I don't know how much this would really improve M8 performance compared to other phones. An added bonus regardless is apparently increased battery life. For those that don't want to take time to read the article here is a summary of the important part. In Android 4.4 go into Settings -> About Phone ->Build number and tap the build number 7 times. Select "Select Runtime" and change Dalvik to ART. Reboot and apparently you'll have increased speed. Obviously since I don't have the phone yet I can't confirm it myself. :-[ Anyone want to test it, and report on the results?;)

Edit: I used Dalvik for half a day when I got my new phone, and then decided to test out ART. Its worked great for me so far. I haven't come across any apps that its incompatible with, and I've used the phone for three days without needing to recharge it. (I might be able to get 4 days out of it, but I'll probably plug it in tonight when I go to sleep just to be on the safe side).

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc