Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Ok, so my M8 will be here Thursday (I'll be getting the Verizon version) and I have been going through this forum like a hawk. There are tons of tips and tricks but I was wondering in particular to the initial setup. So I have to ask you guys. What are the things I should do, or should not do right out of the box? I'm hoping to avoid some of the issues previous threads have been about (LED not working, Battery issues etc).

    So any advice and input is appreciated.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,753 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjop View Post
    Ok, so my M8 will be here Thursday (I'll be getting the Verizon version) and I have been going through this forum like a hawk. There are tons of tips and tricks but I was wondering in particular to the initial setup. So I have to ask you guys. What are the things I should do, or should not do right out of the box? I'm hoping to avoid some of the issues previous threads have been about (LED not working, Battery issues etc).

    So any advice and input is appreciated.
    Welcome to the forums!
    For me, and many others, it took a solid week before the battery settled in. So until then, I would not be concerned about battery life.

    I can show you a screenshot of how mine is set up with Nova Launcher.

    Have you been using android for a while?

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Yes, I got my phone on Saturday and charged it for the second time Sunday night while I slept. I feel much better now about the battery. My normal usage and it shows I have used 46% in 1 day and 4 hours. That was about how long I got on the first charge, though I think I played with downloading some apps and modifying settings a bit more. But yes, I can see that my battery is settling down. Im pleased
  4. #4  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,753 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by memphislawyer View Post
    Yes, I got my phone on Saturday and charged it for the second time Sunday night while I slept. I feel much better now about the battery. My normal usage and it shows I have used 46% in 1 day and 4 hours. That was about how long I got on the first charge, though I think I played with downloading some apps and modifying settings a bit more. But yes, I can see that my battery is settling down. Im pleased
    Cool. It does do well for battery use.

    Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!
    For me, and many others, it took a solid week before the battery settled in. So until then, I would not be concerned about battery life.

    I can show you a screenshot of how mine is set up with Nova Launcher.

    Have you been using android for a while?
    Screenshots would be awesome.
    I have used android since the original moto droid. Switched to iphone for about 4 months but currently putting along on my galaxy nexus.
  6. #6  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,753 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    This is Nova and how I have mine set up

    Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to the M8, tips for initial setup?-1406087100275.jpg  

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. #7  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,753 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjop View Post
    Screenshots would be awesome.
    I have used android since the original moto droid. Switched to iphone for about 4 months but currently putting along on my galaxy nexus.
    With the above screenshot, I used 3 Nova actions in the Dock, and left all my apps in the center. I used Dashclock widget to take up space on the top.

    All this is to reduce my need to reach the upper most portion of the device as possible, as the M8 is a little tall for my hands.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  8. #8  

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    This is Nova and how I have mine set up

    Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
    That's nice !

    Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,753 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    That's nice !

    Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕������
    Would you show your set up, please? OP might want some options.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    With the above screenshot, I used 3 Nova actions in the Dock, and left all my apps in the center. I used Dashclock widget to take up space on the top.

    All this is to reduce my need to reach the upper most portion of the device as possible, as the M8 is a little tall for my hands.
    I love that clock!
    And I have small hands so the the height scares me a little bit but it's nice to see their are software/app solutions.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    What's the name of that icon pack?

    Posted via Android Central App
  12. #12  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,753 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bevington View Post
    What's the name of that icon pack?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Sketchy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...etchypackicons

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  13. #13  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,753 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjop View Post
    I love that clock!
    And I have small hands so the the height scares me a little bit but it's nice to see their are software/app solutions.
    The Nova actions helped out a lot...as in I went from maybe taking the phone back to keeping it. The one on the left opens the Notification Shade, the center is the App Drawer, and the right is Quick Toggles.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  14. #14  

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Would you show your set up, please? OP might want some options.
    Sure, but I keep mine pretty basic with BlinkFeed to keep up on sports. Really haven't done any customization, but I'm tempted to now

    Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to the M8, tips for initial setup?-90505.jpg  
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Thanks ☺

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  
    sam00's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    This is Nova and how I have mine set up

    Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
    Are you running Android L as those bottom navigation buttons look like Android L?

    Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
  17. #17  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    21,753 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by sam00 View Post
    Are you running Android L as those bottom navigation buttons look like Android L?

    Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
    Nope. Liquidsmooth 4.4.4. They themed it to look like L.

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  18. #18  
    oditius's Avatar

    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    966 Global Posts

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    I rooted and loaded a custom rom on my 2nd day. But I always like ViperOne roms anyway...

    New to the M8, tips for initial setup?-screenshot_2014-07-25-20-39-57.jpg
    Oditius (Samsung Galaxy S5 Active w/AT&T & Dell Venue Pro II 128GB Tab)
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Wife says I am spending too much time on computer.

    But I do stop when I go to bed, so it's not like I spend 24/7 on it!!!
  19. #19  

    Default Re: New to the M8, tips for initial setup?

    I'm planning to get an HTC One M8 tomorrow (Sunday). I recently came across the following tip:
    https://passport.mobilenations.com/?...kcT9-wNQXFxAUg,,

    From what I've read the HTC One M8 and Sense 6 are already extremely responsive and without lag, so I don't know how much this would really improve M8 performance compared to other phones. An added bonus regardless is apparently increased battery life. For those that don't want to take time to read the article here is a summary of the important part. In Android 4.4 go into Settings -> About Phone ->Build number and tap the build number 7 times. Select "Select Runtime" and change Dalvik to ART. Reboot and apparently you'll have increased speed. Obviously since I don't have the phone yet I can't confirm it myself. Anyone want to test it, and report on the results?

    Edit: I used Dalvik for half a day when I got my new phone, and then decided to test out ART. Its worked great for me so far. I haven't come across any apps that its incompatible with, and I've used the phone for three days without needing to recharge it. (I might be able to get 4 days out of it, but I'll probably plug it in tonight when I go to sleep just to be on the safe side).

Similar Threads

  1. to save photo edits in motto e
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2014, 11:18 PM
  2. [FREE][Android Game] Run to 2048 Tile
    By rferrez in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 02:02 PM
  3. How to save the place in a podcast after powering off
    By tinker1234 in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-29-2014, 09:20 AM
  4. how to copy photos from whatsapp to memory card
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM
  5. What phones do you recommend me to get next?
    By FoSizzle in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM

Posting Permissions