Why I switched to the HTC M8 from a Lumina 1520

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Let me preface this first.

My Windows phone friends think I am a traitor, my other friends think I am nuts going to a smaller screen, my family just shakes their heads and are confused but know me and are very curious about it.

So why did I switch? Several reasons........

First off this phone is the best phone I have ever owned, that works perfectly out of the box. Not any of my previous Androids, not any iPhone, and certainly not the 1520. I have dealt with Samsung's refusal for updates on a regular basis and their warranty repair people , dealt with the hassles of Apples Genius Bar techs, and have now dealt with the Microsoft Stores techs so I am pretty versed in the competition.... but that's not why I switched..

I switched because of this phone and what it does. Here's how I compare things

The screen, see even as big as the 1520 Lumina was, it always left me dissatisfied. Sure it is a 1080p screen, but side by side the clarity is obvious. Yes out in direct sunlight it can be easy to see, but at a cost of the battery duration too and I just never wanted to watch it out in the hot sun. I liken it to watching a uncalibrated big screen TV as opposed to a not so large one that has been calibrated by UMR over on Audioholics... (He is one of the best in the nation for doing this kind of thing) The picture on this phone is that much more immersive and I am fully capable of seeing the difference between them.

The sound, oh my goodness even my good Ole Galaxy note II with it's on board Wolfson DAC's Never sounded like this phone does, and that is rooted and running mods specific to it.

Call quality and connectivity, hands down better than any I have owned, and this is without having to root and load a different radio for it.

Feel, while subjective for some, feel means more than wither it is slick to the touch, it also means a solidness to it which this phone has in spades. While some prefer the feel of plastic only the iPhone can match this phone for how solidly it is put together.

Usability in hand, again to some depending on their hand size the larger phone is easier to use, I find this interesting because I have normal size hands with above average dexterity and use this phone way easier for anything. There is no longer a need to 2 hand this phone.

Pocketability, smaller phones easier to do this with.

The camera is a very good camera, and I firmly believe that I won't regret it in the least for a couple of reasons. Macros for one thing and low light shots for another. Getting great shots requires playing the light more and in a few weeks I'll know if the telephoto add on lenes work for long distance shots.

Reputation. Boy this is why my WP friends call me a traitor see I just don't believe in Microsoft like I used to. The fiasco with the Developer Preview, Xbox music and movies and the issues I had with the os's I had on the phone (both 8.0 and the Developer preview) and how really screwed up both were and how bad it borked my Microsoft account and access. It was unreparable even after deleating the account at the Microsoft Store.

Now let's see what else, oh yeah, customization. If I want to go full out, that is just a few mouse clicks away, sure I can't have everything Microsoft has with their ecosystem or Apples according to my WP friends, but we all know that isn't really the case.

Yup I am a traitor to them and I don't care about it.. I befuddle my family, since they know I was tired of tinkering with my phone with rooting it, and my other friends are really looking hard at these phones now because they know how picky I am about them. They laughed when I was carrying around that big screen TV on my hip, and knew I was holding out for the new iPhone 6 since I bought a new iMac a couple months ago and are confused with my decision.

I'm pretty picky about these devices and like to have the best of things when I can be lucky enough to get them. I reseached this one more than any other, and did side by side comparisons doing the same thing on each of the latest phones available including the LG g3..the iPhone 5s the Sony z2 and both the Galaxy the and the Note 3 and of course my 1520

Everything about this phone suits my lifestyle to a tee. It's the right form factor, it has ample storage, it has great specs, it is solidly built, beautiful to look at, the best sounds available, clarity of the screen, a awesome job on the os, and is put out by a company that will update it with regularity. Yes my friends and family members are looking at it in a whole new light, and they know that they don't have to wait for the fall relying on promises of the next great thing, or on the hopes and prayers of a rumored device that may never see the light of day, or wait and wait and wait for a update.

That's my reasons for switching

Posted via Android Central App from my HTC M8

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android, cooler than the other side of the pillow!:cool: My wife just got an M8, and I agree, it's one sweet phone. I would much prefer it over the Chevy Lumina--I mean, Lumia 1520.;)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the HTC One forums. Glad you like the phone. I agree, it's an excellent phone that excels in many areas.

I've never owned a Windows phone, so I can't comment on Android to WP, but feel free to ask questions if you need help with the device or setting it up or anything. A lot of users here are helpful.

oditius

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I came from the 1520 to the M8, but to me it might be only temporary. Although I do like the M8, I still think the 1520 is a better phone for me. But I use Quicken for my financial software and there is no WP app for it. I hear that Inuit will be releasing an app for WP and W8.1 this fall, but in the meantime I will continue to use my M8 and the 1520 sits in the box. I like the camera on my 1520 better, and wished that HTC would have put a better one in it. To me the M8 is too light, and I have dropped it several times, even cracked the tempered glass protector I had on it. Most of my pockets are geared for the 1520, I have had it a lot longer, so I guess I picked my shirts by the pocket size. LoL So the M8 is loose in all of them. I have resorted to putting it in my back pocket for safety sake. I don't know how many drops it can take. :( I also rooted, unlocked and installed the ViperOneM8 rom, I have loved that rom since I had the M7. But I like to tinker with the phone, something I couldn't do with the 1520. Good luck on your choice, we all have to have the phone that makes us happy.....

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Let me preface this first.

My Windows phone friends think I am a traitor, my other friends think I am nuts going to a smaller screen, my family just shakes their heads and are confused but know me and are very curious about it.

So why did I switch? Several reasons........

First off this phone is the best phone I have ever owned, that works perfectly out of the box. Not any of my previous Androids, not any iPhone, and certainly not the 1520. I have dealt with Samsung's refusal for updates on a regular basis and their warranty repair people , dealt with the hassles of Apples Genius Bar techs, and have now dealt with the Microsoft Stores techs so I am pretty versed in the competition.... but that's not why I switched..

I switched because of this phone and what it does. Here's how I compare things

The screen, see even as big as the 1520 Lumina was, it always left me dissatisfied. Sure it is a 1080p screen, but side by side the clarity is obvious. Yes out in direct sunlight it can be easy to see, but at a cost of the battery duration too and I just never wanted to watch it out in the hot sun. I liken it to watching a uncalibrated big screen TV as opposed to a not so large one that has been calibrated by UMR over on Audioholics... (He is one of the best in the nation for doing this kind of thing) The picture on this phone is that much more immersive and I am fully capable of seeing the difference between them.

The sound, oh my goodness even my good Ole Galaxy note II with it's on board Wolfson DAC's Never sounded like this phone does, and that is rooted and running mods specific to it.

Call quality and connectivity, hands down better than any I have owned, and this is without having to root and load a different radio for it.

Feel, while subjective for some, feel means more than wither it is slick to the touch, it also means a solidness to it which this phone has in spades. While some prefer the feel of plastic only the iPhone can match this phone for how solidly it is put together.

Usability in hand, again to some depending on their hand size the larger phone is easier to use, I find this interesting because I have normal size hands with above average dexterity and use this phone way easier for anything. There is no longer a need to 2 hand this phone.

Pocketability, smaller phones easier to do this with.

The camera is a very good camera, and I firmly believe that I won't regret it in the least for a couple of reasons. Macros for one thing and low light shots for another. Getting great shots requires playing the light more and in a few weeks I'll know if the telephoto add on lenes work for long distance shots.

Reputation. Boy this is why my WP friends call me a traitor see I just don't believe in Microsoft like I used to. The fiasco with the Developer Preview, Xbox music and movies and the issues I had with the os's I had on the phone (both 8.0 and the Developer preview) and how really screwed up both were and how bad it borked my Microsoft account and access. It was unreparable even after deleating the account at the Microsoft Store.

Now let's see what else, oh yeah, customization. If I want to go full out, that is just a few mouse clicks away, sure I can't have everything Microsoft has with their ecosystem or Apples according to my WP friends, but we all know that isn't really the case.

Yup I am a traitor to them and I don't care about it.. I befuddle my family, since they know I was tired of tinkering with my phone with rooting it, and my other friends are really looking hard at these phones now because they know how picky I am about them. They laughed when I was carrying around that big screen TV on my hip, and knew I was holding out for the new iPhone 6 since I bought a new iMac a couple months ago and are confused with my decision.

I'm pretty picky about these devices and like to have the best of things when I can be lucky enough to get them. I reseached this one more than any other, and did side by side comparisons doing the same thing on each of the latest phones available including the LG g3..the iPhone 5s the Sony z2 and both the Galaxy the and the Note 3 and of course my 1520

Everything about this phone suits my lifestyle to a tee. It's the right form factor, it has ample storage, it has great specs, it is solidly built, beautiful to look at, the best sounds available, clarity of the screen, a awesome job on the os, and is put out by a company that will update it with regularity. Yes my friends and family members are looking at it in a whole new light, and they know that they don't have to wait for the fall relying on promises of the next great thing, or on the hopes and prayers of a rumored device that may never see the light of day, or wait and wait and wait for a update.

That's my reasons for switching

Posted via Android Central App from my HTC M8

Good choice moving over to the M8. After reading your post, it seems like you have friends that are overly concerned with what type of phone and computer you use.

I used to buy Windows computers all the time because I could never find the perfect one. Finally, I went out and bought a $1,100.00 MacBook Pro years ago and to this day I have never even looked at buying another computer. Apple makes a quality laptop.

That all being said, do not concern yourself with the thoughts of others. Find the phones and computers that you like and you will do fine.

I have an aluminum MacBook Pro, Aluminum HTC One M8, and Aluminum iPad. I feel like I have one of the best electronic setups I have ever had. My HTC One M8 is amazing and compliments my other electronics well.

Welcome to Android.

Posted via Android Central App

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
My friends and family consider me the tech guy, and many come to me for advice or look at what I have. I try to stay abreast of what is out there and what others are saying about things because that is what I like to do. So yeah, I have people in my life that care about what I have and what I use and some are very vocal about it. Technology is a big part of our lives these days and as my lovely wife always says that it is supposed to make things easier.
I love my HTC phone, and so I get to show it off when asked about it. Most of my friends and family don't hang out on forums so they basically just know about these things by what they see on the TV and they ask me about a certain phone or computer from time to time.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I came from the 1520 to the M8, but to me it might be only temporary. Although I do like the M8, I still think the 1520 is a better phone for me. But I use Quicken for my financial software and there is no WP app for it. I hear that Inuit will be releasing an app for WP and W8.1 this fall, but in the meantime I will continue to use my M8 and the 1520 sits in the box. I like the camera on my 1520 better, and wished that HTC would have put a better one in it. To me the M8 is too light, and I have dropped it several times, even cracked the tempered glass protector I had on it. Most of my pockets are geared for the 1520, I have had it a lot longer, so I guess I picked my shirts by the pocket size. LoL So the M8 is loose in all of them. I have resorted to putting it in my back pocket for safety sake. I don't know how many drops it can take. :( I also rooted, unlocked and installed the ViperOneM8 rom, I have loved that rom since I had the M7. But I like to tinker with the phone, something I couldn't do with the 1520. Good luck on your choice, we all have to have the phone that makes us happy.....

I have dropped mine a couple times too, but I bought a great case and the glass screen protector before I had the phone home. I had both on before I set it up. I am sure htc will improve the camera on the m9 with as much as folks have said in the reviews on it, but I have already found that the m8 takes a little more work to get great pictures so to me it's not your average point and shoot camera.
I'm not a fan of carrying my phone around in my pocket, even though it is easy to do with this one with the Sedeio Surface case on it, I prefer using it's belt holster which holds it close to my side and out of my way to do anything. I have my Pdair leather case I bought for the 1520 that did a great job in protecting it, but had to take on and off all the time getting in and out of the car or sitting down. This one I forgot it's there. Check them out they work great. Best Buy has the Platinum series cases which are the same ones but with out Sedeio name on it.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm even more happy that I switched phones after a full week on my m8.

I've had no random reboots, stuttering or slow downs with it. No touch screen issues I was plauged with on the Web. This phone hasn't overheated 1 time yet while browsing the Web yet.

I am still learning how to use the camera correctly, that's going to take a little bit, but my picture taking skills are improving.

The cellular and WiFi capabilities of the phone is awesome and the GPS is very accurate with it, to within 6 feet so navigation is spot on.

HTC sync was very good with my iMac transfer of music and now with the n7 player and MX player my listening and viewing playing is a real joy. I did have to grab a album art grabber to complete some of my collection, but that was a easy fix that was entirely painless and quickly taken care of with out having any duplicate files to remove.

Let's see.... what else. Oh, my battery life on this is excellent. I'm getting close to 18 hours on a normal days usage with 5 to 8 hours of Web viewing, playing music almost all day and several hours of phone calls. I don't know how doing any gaming will cut that down, because I don't do a lot of that yet on it.

So far so good anyway except that it is so good, I now have to get my wife out of here 1020 since she is having the same issues my 1520 was having trouble with. That's a shame because it does a good job with the picture quality...... but that's about all.

I honestly don't understand why some people have a issue with this phone. It's the most balanced Android device I have ever owned or used and wouldn't trade it for anything available on the market today. It's a phone first and foremost and everything else is secondary.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo