Wifi in house all the time?

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Do you leave wifi on all the time when home?

Since I have heard that wifi uses less battery and I assume it is faster than lte AND most of us don't have unlimited data, it seems that it makes more sense to do this.

On previous phones I did not use wifi unless I was downloading or updating apps, but I think battery usage suggests that this is the best approach on newer phones.

Regards,
R

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I leave my wifi on, and on Sprint, there's a connection enhancer that remembers previous connections, so it'll connect without me having to reenter the password.

specialsk

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
One of the main reasons to turn off WiFi when you don't have access to connect is the battery drain caused by the periodic scanning by your phone. There's some cool battery saving apps that use GPS to turn WiFi on and off automatically when it knows you either can or can't connect.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
One of the main reasons to turn off WiFi when you don't have access to connect is the battery drain caused by the periodic scanning by your phone. There's some cool battery saving apps that use GPS to turn WiFi on and off automatically when it knows you either can or can't connect.

Right... But at home, wifi is always on. So it would make sense to leave wifi on on the phone (?).

R

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

I would think keeping GPS turned on would drain more battery than leaving Wi-Fi on, IMHO.

I have found (at least on Sprint) that leaving Wi-Fi on results in negligible battery loss.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I assume it is faster than lte

The connection from phone to router may be faster than LTE, but the net connection easily could be slower. Just because it's Wi-Fi doesn't mean it'll be faster. My home Wi-Fi is connected to a 2 Mb/s cable line. Heck, you could connect it to a 56K modem if you really wanted to.

That small issue aside, I leave mine on Wi-Fi whenever possible and turn it off when not in a Wi-Fi area. It does use less power, and I'm not in such a hurry to need LTE speeds. While it's great to get those high speeds, it's usually overkill unless downloading exceptionally big files.

specialsk

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Right... But at home, wifi is always on. So it would make sense to leave wifi on on the phone (?).

R
Yes, but if you're switching it off/on all the time to save battery, you have to remember to flip it back on at home. That's the problem and where these battery saving apps help out tremendously.

specialsk

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I would think keeping GPS turned on would drain more battery than leaving Wi-Fi on, IMHO.

I have found (at least on Sprint) that leaving Wi-Fi on results in negligible battery loss.
I don't disagree but leaving GPS on, while possibly draining more battery gives you GPS functionality which I love in my apps. Unconnected WiFi just kinda sits there (I know, it also is used for location, but not like GPS).

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Do you leave wifi on all the time when home?

Since I have heard that wifi uses less battery and I assume it is faster than lte AND most of us don't have unlimited data, it seems that it makes more sense to do this.

On previous phones I did not use wifi unless I was downloading or updating apps, but I think battery usage suggests that this is the best approach on newer phones.

Regards,
R

I leave WiFi on at all times at home and at my office. It saves on data usage. The only time I shut WiFi off is when I am traveling because I do not want to connect to foreign networks and do not want to waste battery power.

Leaving your WiFi on does not seem to burn much life in the M8.

Posted via Android Central App

randyw

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I keep my WiFi on because I work at home, but if I am going to be out and about I turn it off. Also if your using the power saving mode the WiFi is shut down when I am not using my device.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time. It just doesn't use much battery. At home I have 60 meg internet and its faster than I get on network. I leave it on when I'm on the road. It automatically connects to networks that I've used before. I also leave GPS on all the time. Like using apps that need it.Battery just isn't an issue with this phone e. With everything on and in very low reception roaming while traveling, I'm still getting all day before thinking about charging. In optimal conditions with moderate use I'm getting almost 30 hours...
Just don't have to worry about it....

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have higher battery drain with WiFI on.
I can confirm this with SystemPannel Pro.
When my devices is idle, ill use over night for an example. My device uses about 3-7% CPU consumption.
But when WiFi is on it hovers at 30% CPU consumption, thus using more battery power.
This also happened on the M7. I wish i knew why.

IF someone else has SystemPannel and can monitor CPU usage id like to see if its happening to anybody else.

Another odd thing i have noticed is when i do leave it on WiFi some notifications, gmail, news alerts, google voice texts sometimes get delayed.
However on cellular data its all good.
I had the exact opposite with my Note 3 though.

Im on a stock M8 T-Mobile.

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I have higher battery drain with WiFI on.
I can confirm this with SystemPannel Pro.
When my devices is idle, ill use over night for an example. My device uses about 3-7% CPU consumption.
But when WiFi is on it hovers at 30% CPU consumption, thus using more battery power.
This also happened on the M7. I wish i knew why.

IF someone else has SystemPannel and can monitor CPU usage id like to see if its happening to anybody else.

Another odd thing i have noticed is when i do leave it on WiFi some notifications, gmail, news alerts, google voice texts sometimes get delayed.
However on cellular data its all good.
I had the exact opposite with my Note 3 though.

Im on a stock M8 T-Mobile.

It could just be that there is more going on with Wi-Fi turned on. I know that the default for many apps is to update/download only when on Wi-Fi. So with Wi-Fi off, these updates/downloads don't happen.

Oh, and my Wi-Fi is always on.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I turn Wifi on when I'm home and leave it off when I'm elsewhere, I'll also sometimes leave mobile data off when I'm out of the house to squeeze out a bit more battery life since when I turn it back on its an instant connection.

Sent from my HTC One M8

KGun

May 8, 2014
Visit site
WiFi on at home, data on when not home.
Turning data off at home was the biggest thing I did to drop my standby battery usage from 20-22% to 5-6% the 6-7 hours while I sleep.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't disagree but leaving GPS on, while possibly draining more battery gives you GPS functionality which I love in my apps. Unconnected WiFi just kinda sits there (I know, it also is used for location, but not like GPS).

GPS doesn't drain battery just by being enabled. The GPS module ONLY works when an app calls for it, like Maps for example. If you're not running an app that uses GPS, there would be zero battery drain as a result. Just an FYI.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar