Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Default Wifi in house all the time?

Hello all,

Do you leave wifi on all the time when home?

Since I have heard that wifi uses less battery and I assume it is faster than lte AND most of us don't have unlimited data, it seems that it makes more sense to do this.

On previous phones I did not use wifi unless I was downloading or updating apps, but I think battery usage suggests that this is the best approach on newer phones.

Regards,
    R

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts

Default Re: Wifi in house all the time?

I leave my wifi on, and on Sprint, there's a connection enhancer that remembers previous connections, so it'll connect without me having to reenter the password.
    Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100

One of the main reasons to turn off WiFi when you don't have access to connect is the battery drain caused by the periodic scanning by your phone. There's some cool battery saving apps that use GPS to turn WiFi on and off automatically when it knows you either can or can't connect.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts

Rhyalus, who's your carrier?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Sprint Customer since 2003, 5 lines, currently loving my HTC One. Previous phones - Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC EVO 4G LTE, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, BB Tour, BB Curve, BB Pearl, Palm Centro, LG-Muziq, Katana DLX, LG 550, Sanyo MM 5600, Sanyo 8200, Sanyo 8100
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jhilker View Post
    Rhyalus, who's your carrier?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Verizon...

R
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by specialsk View Post
    One of the main reasons to turn off WiFi when you don't have access to connect is the battery drain caused by the periodic scanning by your phone. There's some cool battery saving apps that use GPS to turn WiFi on and off automatically when it knows you either can or can't connect.

Right... But at home, wifi is always on. So it would make sense to leave wifi on on the phone (?).

R

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts

I would think keeping GPS turned on would drain more battery than leaving Wi-Fi on, IMHO.

I have found (at least on Sprint) that leaving Wi-Fi on results in negligible battery loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    I assume it is faster than lte
    The connection from phone to router may be faster than LTE, but the net connection easily could be slower. Just because it's Wi-Fi doesn't mean it'll be faster. My home Wi-Fi is connected to a 2 Mb/s cable line. Heck, you could connect it to a 56K modem if you really wanted to.

That small issue aside, I leave mine on Wi-Fi whenever possible and turn it off when not in a Wi-Fi area. It does use less power, and I'm not in such a hurry to need LTE speeds. While it's great to get those high speeds, it's usually overkill unless downloading exceptionally big files.

Right... But at home, wifi is always on. So it would make sense to leave wifi on on the phone (?).

R
    Yes, but if you're switching it off/on all the time to save battery, you have to remember to flip it back on at home. That's the problem and where these battery saving apps help out tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by jhilker View Post
    I would think keeping GPS turned on would drain more battery than leaving Wi-Fi on, IMHO.

I have found (at least on Sprint) that leaving Wi-Fi on results in negligible battery loss.
    I don't disagree but leaving GPS on, while possibly draining more battery gives you GPS functionality which I love in my apps. Unconnected WiFi just kinda sits there (I know, it also is used for location, but not like GPS).

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Hello all,

Do you leave wifi on all the time when home?

Since I have heard that wifi uses less battery and I assume it is faster than lte AND most of us don't have unlimited data, it seems that it makes more sense to do this.

On previous phones I did not use wifi unless I was downloading or updating apps, but I think battery usage suggests that this is the best approach on newer phones.

Regards,
    R
    I leave WiFi on at all times at home and at my office. It saves on data usage. The only time I shut WiFi off is when I am traveling because I do not want to connect to foreign networks and do not want to waste battery power.

Leaving your WiFi on does not seem to burn much life in the M8.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 JB. (for Now)

I keep my WiFi on because I work at home, but if I am going to be out and about I turn it off. Also if your using the power saving mode the WiFi is shut down when I am not using my device.

I leave mine on all the time. It just doesn't use much battery. At home I have 60 meg internet and its faster than I get on network. I leave it on when I'm on the road. It automatically connects to networks that I've used before. I also leave GPS on all the time. Like using apps that need it.Battery just isn't an issue with this phone e. With everything on and in very low reception roaming while traveling, I'm still getting all day before thinking about charging. In optimal conditions with moderate use I'm getting almost 30 hours...
    Just don't have to worry about it....
    MIKE
    HTC ONE M8 HK Edition
    Thanked by:
    dyphx 

I have higher battery drain with WiFI on.
    I can confirm this with SystemPannel Pro.
    When my devices is idle, ill use over night for an example. My device uses about 3-7% CPU consumption.
    But when WiFi is on it hovers at 30% CPU consumption, thus using more battery power.
    This also happened on the M7. I wish i knew why.

IF someone else has SystemPannel and can monitor CPU usage id like to see if its happening to anybody else.

Another odd thing i have noticed is when i do leave it on WiFi some notifications, gmail, news alerts, google voice texts sometimes get delayed.
    However on cellular data its all good.
    I had the exact opposite with my Note 3 though.

Im on a stock M8 T-Mobile.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

As a general rule, turn off wifi when not in use to preserve battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    I have higher battery drain with WiFI on.
    I can confirm this with SystemPannel Pro.
    When my devices is idle, ill use over night for an example. My device uses about 3-7% CPU consumption.
    But when WiFi is on it hovers at 30% CPU consumption, thus using more battery power.
    This also happened on the M7. I wish i knew why.

IF someone else has SystemPannel and can monitor CPU usage id like to see if its happening to anybody else.

Another odd thing i have noticed is when i do leave it on WiFi some notifications, gmail, news alerts, google voice texts sometimes get delayed.
    However on cellular data its all good.
    I had the exact opposite with my Note 3 though.

Im on a stock M8 T-Mobile.
    It could just be that there is more going on with Wi-Fi turned on. I know that the default for many apps is to update/download only when on Wi-Fi. So with Wi-Fi off, these updates/downloads don't happen.

Oh, and my Wi-Fi is always on.

I turn Wifi on when I'm home and leave it off when I'm elsewhere, I'll also sometimes leave mobile data off when I'm out of the house to squeeze out a bit more battery life since when I turn it back on its an instant connection.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Yeah always leave WiFi on mate never noticed any battery issues

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

WiFi on at home, data on when not home.
    Turning data off at home was the biggest thing I did to drop my standby battery usage from 20-22% to 5-6% the 6-7 hours while I sleep.
    FBA

Global Posts
    2,429 Global Posts

I don't disagree but leaving GPS on, while possibly draining more battery gives you GPS functionality which I love in my apps. Unconnected WiFi just kinda sits there (I know, it also is used for location, but not like GPS).

GPS doesn't drain battery just by being enabled. The GPS module ONLY works when an app calls for it, like Maps for example. If you're not running an app that uses GPS, there would be zero battery drain as a result. Just an FYI.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.

ROM
    MOAR 9

If I remember to turn it on I only use wifi at home or where there is xfinity wifi available if I get a bad LTE signal. GPS is always on and my battery use if fine. We are in a Sprint Spark area with unlimited so I only turn on wifi to save battery, network speed is great.
    HTC One (M8) Stock For Now.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FBA View Post
    GPS doesn't drain battery just by being enabled. The GPS module ONLY works when an app calls for it, like Maps for example. If you're not running an app that uses GPS, there would be zero battery drain as a result. Just an FYI.
    This is true, but the reality for most people is that it's always being used as any one of the many Google services is tracking your location.

FBA

Global Posts
    2,429 Global Posts

That's true as well, but the usage is marginal in those apps.

You can however, download a product called App OpsX and individually remove location permissions for each app you don't want to allow tracking for.

I removed location permissions from several native apps (Settings, Android System, Phone, Unified Daemon, Google Search & other downloaded apps) and the ONLY time GPS gets used now, is in Maps and GPS Status and Toolbox, but even if you left the location permissions set to allow in all of the other apps, the GPS gets used like a few minutes a day; not enough to cause any significant battery drain.
    Converted lifetime BlackBerry user, now on Samsung Note 3...
    Bye bye Blackberry, forever.

This is true, but the reality for most people is that it's always being used as any one of the many Google services is tracking your location.

It's only ever in use for more than about half a second when you're using GPS in an app. Google does track, but it's far from a constant GPS lock as evidenced by looking at your Google Maps Location history if you have that enabled. You get a map of everywhere you've gone, but it's not hugely accurate since it only takes a quick look every so often. When you're going on a trip and using Navigation you get a super accurate map of where you've gone rather than just general area. Bottom line is that unless you have an active and constant GPS lock, it's not using much power.

Sent from my HTC One M8

I downloaded leandroid from the play store. since Verizon doesn't have the power saver mode, it turns my wifi off when I turn the screen off, and turns it on after I unlock the phone. works great ! doesn't leave wifi on when its in your pocket, when you don't need it. it is configurable though. works perfectly.
    plus, I leave my full gps on, and notice no battery drain from it. I get 18 hours easily daily.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast