Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default problem with M8 when using speakerphone

so my father has a M8 Harmon Kardon edition (Sprint network) and whenever he puts on the speakerphone two things happen:

1. Volume drops way down, he sounds really far away and "tinny" for lack of a better word. Most other people I can barely tell when they switch between speakerphone and not, but when he does it, you can totally tell. Now this isn't even the worst part.

2. an insane amount of "crackling", kind of like the noises one would expect if one were dragging something across the speakers. and cutting out to where for the most part I can't understanding a word he says.

Basically 80% of the time when he is on speaker phone it's problem number 2, and then when I can hear him and there's no interference, quality is mediocre at best.

Two questions:

Is the effect in #1 common / just the way the phone sounds?

Has anyone else ever encountered the second problem with this phone (Harmon Kardon or otherwise).

Sprint store is no help tells my dad the phone works perfectly so they won't help him. He is in another city otherwise I'd go in store and straighten it out for him

P.S. I am planning on getting an M8 in a week, so I hope this isn't indicative of how I would sound ("tinny" and distant) to others if I enable speakerphone (I usually do a lot of my calls on speakerphone).

P.SS. Also, my father can hear me fine throughout the call no matter what, (and no it's not my phone, don't have the problem wit any other person I speak with.

Please help.

Default Re: problem with M8 when using speakerphone

Not using gpe edition but mine sounds fine with /without speaker on

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by meatclown97 View Post
    so my father has a M8 Harmon Kardon edition (Sprint network) and whenever he puts on the speakerphone two things happen:

1. Volume drops way down, he sounds really far away and "tinny" for lack of a better word. Most other people I can barely tell when they switch between speakerphone and not, but when he does it, you can totally tell. Now this isn't even the worst part.

2. an insane amount of "crackling", kind of like the noises one would expect if one were dragging something across the speakers. and cutting out to where for the most part I can't understanding a word he says.

Basically 80% of the time when he is on speaker phone it's problem number 2, and then when I can hear him and there's no interference, quality is mediocre at best.

Two questions:

Is the effect in #1 common / just the way the phone sounds?

Has anyone else ever encountered the second problem with this phone (Harmon Kardon or otherwise).

Sprint store is no help tells my dad the phone works perfectly so they won't help him. He is in another city otherwise I'd go in store and straighten it out for him

P.S. I am planning on getting an M8 in a week, so I hope this isn't indicative of how I would sound ("tinny" and distant) to others if I enable speakerphone (I usually do a lot of my calls on speakerphone).

P.SS. Also, my father can hear me fine throughout the call no matter what, (and no it's not my phone, don't have the problem wit any other person I speak with.

Please help.
    I'm using the HK Edition and have had no complaints using speaker phone. I'm assuming there might be something wrong with his phone, probably hardware wise. I would make sure everything is backed up and do a full factory reset to make sure. If the problems still there it's a defective phone.
    MIKE
    HTC ONE M8 HK Edition

Quote Originally Posted by meatclown97 View Post

Does anyone other than you experience this when he is talking to you on speaker phone? Perhaps the problem isn't with his phone, but yours. What does he say about the call quality on his end when he's speaking to people using speaker phone? Is it clear on his end, or does he notice those issues when using it as well? I recommend checking with other people who have talked with him while he has been on speaker phone, and see if they've had the same experience.

Where is he (and you) when these types of conversations occur? Driving on a noisy freeway, inside bridges, where construction is taking place, or from a quiet environment at home? What about his distance from the phone when he's talking, and what is his volume setting on his end? Does he perhaps have it sitting far away from him (like in a passenger seat of a car), and have the volume turned up on his end (to the point where your part of the conversation will be picked up his loud speakers and repeated through his microphone, drowning out the sound of his less loud voice?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Android Optimizer View Post
    Does anyone other than you experience this when he is talking to you on speaker phone? Perhaps the problem isn't with his phone, but yours. What does he say about the call quality on his end when he's speaking to people using speaker phone? Is it clear on his end, or does he notice those issues when using it as well? I recommend checking with other people who have talked with him while he has been on speaker phone, and see if they've had the same experience.

Where is he (and you) when these types of conversations occur? Driving on a noisy freeway, inside bridges, where construction is taking place, or from a quiet environment at home? What about his distance from the phone when he's talking, and what is his volume setting on his end? Does he perhaps have it sitting far away from him (like in a passenger seat of a car), and have the volume turned up on his end (to the point where your part of the conversation will be picked up his loud speakers and repeated through his microphone, drowning out the sound of his less loud voice?
    I will confirm, it happens with other people don't think it's my phone.. .the last two times we were both at our houses first time he said he had finally put the phone down on a table to minimize handling noise this last time he kept holding it assuring me he wasn't covering speaker he was holding it by the sides of phone and holding it sort of horizontal and speaking maybe 6-8 inches away from his mouth. I think it's the phone but sprint people are useless can he deal directly with htc?

I am on m8 Tmobile in Dallas and mine is unusable as well. I had the Galazy s3 and NEVER had problems. Any luck in finding out if it was software of hardware?
    Thanks.