Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mooncatt
  • 2 Post By icwhatudidthere
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts

Default LCD Blur

So I've swapped out a few devices and they all seem to have screen blur. It's especially noticeable when whites are on darker backgrounds. Comparing to my G2, it's definitely not as clear. For a screen to get so much praise, how am I the only one seeing this?

Default Re: LCD Blur

What do you mean exactly by screen blur?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Screenshots would be nice

My M8 posted this
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts

Screenshots are impossible due to it seeming to be hardware and not software.

It looks a lot like the image is dragging, or almost ghosting. For example, go into the app drawer and drag through the apps. Don't flick, but drag up and down at varying speeds. The words seems to trail with a ghosting outline almost. When also using the standard clock that shifts between white and grey during the day, moving left and right will cause some ghosting on the numbers.

Finally in games like Clash of Clans, it just feels blurry when moving everything around. My M7 did this, just not so prominent. And my G2 doesn't do this at all.

I've replaced out 3 M8's all with the same screen blur, and went to VZW and their floors models do it too. For such praise behind the screen, how is this not a negative?

So this is an animation blur you're talking about, like the screen has a slow response time?

If so, I kinda see it when scrolling text, but it's so little that I wouldn't consider it a problem. I don't see it at all when gaming. To me, it's no different than I've seen on any other properly functioning LCD display I've seen. Though, without seeing your phone in person, who knows if what I'm seeing as normal is what you're seeing as a problem.
    brandonx1000 likes this.

My guess on why it's not being reported is that it's gonna be highly dependent on the reviewer being sensitive to LCD blur. For example, I'm very sensitive to LED flicker and that means certain cars and all LED Christmas lights flicker to me but for most people it's not an issue.

Similarly, the fact that you've seen it on many different phones makes me think you're particularly sensitive to it, but most people, myself included, simply don't see it.
    crawfojj and brandonx1000 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts

Wow that's crazy, I had no idea that I am seeing it as much as I am. I think I may swap into a G3. The M8 is an awesome phone, don't get me wrong, but it sucks seeing the blur.

I don't use the Blinkfeed launcher so it's hard to compare. But I don't see any blur, much less anything that would make me want to change phones.

The ROM I use has hardware rendering not software which may be a difference too

Have you tried turning animations off?

My M8 posted this
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,312 Global Posts

Yeah, turning animations off didn't help. Turning ART on actually sped things up enough to make it go away a little, but ART is still iffy and i went back to Dalvik