Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Hows the Battery Life on your M8?

First, I want to say thanks for answering all my posts. I post allot of questions, the way I am I guess.
    Probably one of the best communities I have been on.

My battery life is ok with my M8. It seems to be draining faster then normal. I have Google keyboard and a Nintendo 64 emulator for ocarina of time which is not opened in the background.

I started using the power saving mode full time. I do use my phone often though and I noticed that the phone actually shuts things off like 4G when I am on wifi and turns it off when the phones pocketed. Is there anything else I can do to extend my battery life? I read many articles and comments as well as forum posts but none specifically to save power other then power saver mode. My battery life last night was killed fast, maybe Chrome eats allot of juice this could be it. What are your opinion?

Default Re: Hows the Battery Life on your M8?

Specifics like how many hours do you consider to be "ok" and /or "normal ", how many hours of screen on time, video or music playback, etc. would help.

I'm getting over 30 hours between charges with no WIfi use, ie mobile data use, with 2 plus hours of screen time, and over over 40 hours at home using WiFi, and probably 4 hrs of screen time. The M8 has far exceeded my expectations on battery life. Had a gs 4 and this blows it away on battery.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Yep, specifics like how much you are getting now will at least give us an idea if it's normal or not. Also, how old is your phone? Most people here agree that battery life doesn't settle down until after 7-9 days of use.

Myself, I can go around 15-16 hours between charges and have 15% remaining. That's with a max of just over 6 hours screen on time.

GSam Battery Monitor can give some stats like screen on time that might help with comparisons here.

Quote Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere View Post
    Yep, specifics like how much you are getting now will at least give us an idea if it's normal or not. Also, how old is your phone? Most people here agree that battery life doesn't settle down until after 7-9 days of use.

Myself, I can go around 15-16 hours between charges and have 15% remaining. That's with a max of just over 6 hours screen on time.

GSam Battery Monitor can give some stats like screen on time that might help with comparisons here.
    ok, you gotta tell me what your settings are, usage, for getting 6 hours of screen time. my best day i think i got 3 and had the phone off the charger for like 18-20 hours.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalMotherASF View Post
    First, I want to say thanks for answering all my posts. I post allot of questions, the way I am I guess.
    Probably one of the best communities I have been on.

My battery life is ok with my M8. It seems to be draining faster then normal. I have Google keyboard and a Nintendo 64 emulator for ocarina of time which is not opened in the background.

I started using the power saving mode full time. I do use my phone often though and I noticed that the phone actually shuts things off like 4G when I am on wifi and turns it off when the phones pocketed. Is there anything else I can do to extend my battery life?
    First I'd determine what's using up the battery. Then I'd disable any apps that don't need to be running. Finally I'd look at task management.

First enable the secrect developer mode, and determine what is running. Go into Settings -> about -> software information -> more -> click on build number 7 times (to enable developer mode).
    Go back into settings and enter the new Developer options. Click on Process Stats. Make note of what apps are hogging resources and running. If you don't us those apps on a constant basis stop or disable them.
    Go into settings -> App manager. Scroll to All to list all the apps on your device. Anything you don't use force stop if you're not using it. If you don't plan to ever us the app then select to disable it (so it doesn't run in the background).
    When you're done using an application close it, so it doesn't waste resources or battery.
    Now your battery should last longer. One more thing you can do that may increase your battery life is try ART mode. Go back into developer options, and select Select runtime. Change it from Dalvik to ART. Then after a reboot your apps will no longer have to expand every time you open them which will save you resources, time, and battery. If you notice some of your apps don't work (and don't want to replace them with updated or similar apps that do the same things), or if they seem slower then you could always switch back to Dalvik again.

No problem. Nothing drastic actually, just using Power Saver turned on, NFC and Bluetooth turned off. I also always have location mode set to Battery Saver unless I'm using navigation. I had an M7 before this and noticed no difference in functionality with Power Saver turned on so I'm going with that on this phone as well.
    I've gotten the 6 hour screen times on weekends, when I'm just lounging around home on Wifi, no significant calls and normal amounts of texting. Mind you, I have a T-Mobile phone so I have Wifi calling turned on at home and in the office. (I think that actually turns the cell radio off? Not sure, this is my first phone with that feature.) Other usage is minor gaming (Super Monsters Ate My Condo, Family Guy, Monument Valley) and around 2 hours with the F1 app open during the race and Chromecasting youtube/hulu/Netflix.
    Just looked at GSam, it says my average is 5 hours 6m, with 6h9m max screen time, and 15h12m battery life.

I don't even know how much on screen time I usually get. But, honestly I can day that I get about 13 hours of use before it's time to charge this guy. Which works for me! So, from 7-8AM till about maybe 8 or 9 at night. I'm a heavy user. Constantly scrolling Instagram and Twitter.

Posted via Android Central App

Battery life is great. But I'd still love an HTC flagship that has a removable battery.

Posted via Android Central App

good to know. thanks.