Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen won't auto lock

Hi guys, I've had my HTC one m8 for a month or so now, everything has been great till now, my phone won't auto lock. When there's a pop up notification from WhatsApp, the screen will remain lighted till I manually press the lock button. If I leave it on after surfing the net or doing anything else, it won't auto lock either.

I've tried setting the auto lock timer to screen timeout from 15 seconds to 2 minutes. All that seems to do is to dictate the time the screen takes to dim. But it never locks.

I've been googling ard and it doesn't seem like this is a common problem. I suspect it has to do with exposing my phone to a magnet. Does anybody know how to troubleshoot the cause or know the solution?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    6,368 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: Screen won't auto lock

Set the screen timeout to 1 minute.
    Set the lock screen to immediately or to 5 seconds.

Most phones nowadays have a self diagnostic feature.
    See if you can use that on the M8.

Sent From Another Galaxy
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath_online View Post
    Hi guys, I've had my HTC one m8 for a month or so now, everything has been great till now, my phone won't auto lock. When there's a pop up notification from WhatsApp, the screen will remain lighted till I manually press the lock button. If I leave it on after surfing the net or doing anything else, it won't auto lock either.

I've tried setting the auto lock timer to screen timeout from 15 seconds to 2 minutes. All that seems to do is to dictate the time the screen takes to dim. But it never locks.

I've been googling ard and it doesn't seem like this is a common problem. I suspect it has to do with exposing my phone to a magnet. Does anybody know how to troubleshoot the cause or know the solution?

Thanks!
    I suspect its more likely you have an app that is installed that doesn't let your system sleep, and may always be running in the background. Its could be something like your WhatsApp that is not a standard app on the system.
    Do you have developer mode setup on your system, or some other app that reports what apps are actively running on your system, and how much resources and time they are active? If not enable developer mode and go into the process stats area under developer options. That will tell you what is using how many resources, and how long it has been active. If there are any apps listed that you never use, and never plan to use go into app management and set them to disabled (or remove them if that option is available). Ones you use occasionally, but don't want running at the time you can force stop. After stopping, disabling, or uninstalling the apps you don't need running ( even if just temporarily while you test) see if your screen locks normally. If that fixes the problem you can go back and re-enable the apps one by one and test again to find which one was causing the problem.
    I have my system set to Auto Sleep for Screen Timeout, and Lock phone after (under Security) set to Immediately. With those settings the lock screen appear every time the phone is waken. You can give it a test with those settings, and see if it brings up the lock screen every time it wakes up for you too (which it should do).
    I don't think the magnet is the cause, but you should still keep magnets away from your systems as they can ruin your hardware, and warp the display on your screen.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks! Turned out it was an app that hid itself from all view. It was fine after I rebooted (which is strange cos I alr tried this before but didn't solve).

Also, I realized I managed to confuse everyone. What I meant was the screen refused to timeout. But it was locking properly. I suspected it was a magnet issue because the phone would launch into fits of dot view mode. I realize it could be because I placed it on my iPad. Which probably has a magnet in the casing.

Global Posts
    6,368 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath_online View Post
    Thanks! Turned out it was an app that hid itself from all view. It was fine after I rebooted (which is strange cos I alr tried this before but didn't solve).

Also, I realized I managed to confuse everyone. What I meant was the screen refused to timeout. But it was locking properly. I suspected it was a magnet issue because the phone would launch into fits of dot view mode. I realize it could be because I placed it on my iPad. Which probably has a magnet in the casing.
    Well, the important thing is that you got it back to normal. 👍😀

Sent From Another Galaxy
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    Well, the important thing is that you got it back to normal. 👍😀

Sent From Another Galaxy
    Indeed.