Running out of options - is the HTC One M8 a good buy?

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I currently have an iphone and my contract is up in a few weeks. I desperately want to get an android phone but there appears to be issues with every android phone available. I thought I settled on the G3, but my friends device randomly shuts down almost daily. I've round this is a common issue with the phone. I like the S5 but have seen issues with the charging doors breaking off so the phone is no longer waterproof. The HTC m8 camera supposedly isn't that great but then I keep reading about the lens film having issues. I'm running out of options and I really don't want a new iphone. Should I be concerned about buying an M8? How are the radios in the phone?

rnd0209

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Go with the M8. I had all of the mentioned phones also an iPhone 5S and I ended up going back to an M8 after a brief suare with an LGG3 and its laggy OS. The shooter on the M8 is great and is perfect for daily stuff. When's the last time you printed a billboard size picture that you took with your phone?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife just got an M8, and it's an excellent phone. Also consider the Nexus 5, if you don't need a workhorse phone (the battery is its main weak point).

fsfty

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks...I live in a low reception area so decent radios are pretty important. Are they any good in the M8?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I can give you good info on that--my wife has Verizon, so reception is always pretty good where we are. I haven't read of any significant reception complaints on these forums so far.

almostcrazy

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I was iffy about the m8 when I got it two weeks ago. I really am starting to like it. I work in an old building with wireless telemetry in it and the reception is very good. The screen is big and bright. I wish it was a tad shorter length wise but I can deal with it. I'm quite happy with it.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
The camera on the M8 is excellent, I was worried about it after reading reviews also. Don't believe everything u see or hear online.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I love my M8, BUT my best experience all around has been with the iPhone 5s. The only downfall to my iPhone was it lacked good speaker sound when I used it as my music player. The M8 blows you away with the sound, from the earphones and from the front facing speakers. The camera is lacking, sorry, but true. I bought a M8, straight out, and am now waiting on the iPhone 6.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Take a look at the pictures and videos thread up here in the M8 part of the forum. It's really the photographer and not the camera that decides quality, and as long as you know how to use it it takes great images. The radios are excellent and the lens film problem is fixable within 5 minutes should the problem develop for you.

Sent from my HTC One M8

M120

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
all phone manufactures may have an issue, The M8 is a great phone ( not a fan of the ultrapixel concept but i dont take alot of pictures) but don't discount the G3 or the S5 either, your friend's G3 could be an faulty unit and as for the S5 as long as you dont dunk your phone in water it shouldnt be a big deal.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an iphone and my contract is up in a few weeks. I desperately want to get an android phone but there appears to be issues with every android phone available. I thought I settled on the G3, but my friends device randomly shuts down almost daily. I've round this is a common issue with the phone. I like the S5 but have seen issues with the charging doors breaking off so the phone is no longer waterproof. The HTC m8 camera supposedly isn't that great but then I keep reading about the lens film having issues. I'm running out of options and I really don't want a new iphone. Should I be concerned about buying an M8? How are the radios in the phone?

I feel like every phone has some "lemons" You have to go with what works for you. If camera is a big point for you then either the g3 or s5 will be better options. If all you do is post to social media sites or look at on phone without much cropping or need lots of low light pics, the m8 is the device you want.

joe morgan4

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had the M8 for 3 months now. I have no complaints. Amazing phone, super fast and good battery even during heavy usage. I did have the lens film issue, but I took care of that. Get the M8. Amazing it is

Last edited:

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I went with the G3 but could have easily got the M8

Camera on the G3 is stellar and I love the tiny bezel compared to the M8

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I went with the G3 but could have easily got the M8

Camera on the G3 is stellar and I love the tiny bezel compared to the M8

Seem to see a lot of complaints noting that the G3 UI is laggy and the screen eats a ton of battery juice.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Seem to see a lot of complaints noting that the G3 UI is laggy and the screen eats a ton of battery juice.

Well for me battery is good. Much better than my M7 but not as good as my daughters G2 (which is amazing).

Lag, not at all. I'm not saying it don't exist for some but my Sprint G3 is smooth as silk

The one complaint I've mentioned is the GPS sometimes shows me in the wrong location. I hope that gets fixed.

Would be nice if you could change the volume quick sets too

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
After 4 months w/ the M8, I just got out of my ATT contract and could have gotten any new phone available now, plus cash in pocket for selling my unlocked M8. I love the M8 so much that it was an easy decision to keep it. For my needs, it's better than everything else out there. Also, regarding quirks, this is the fastest and most reliable phone I've used, by far.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

It was very much the same for me - I loved my iPhone 5S but the screen size had always been an issue. I first went with the S5, which was terrible. Went through 3 of them, all three having the same slow as molasses UI and tons of lag all over the place. The S5 has a decent camera but as a photographer, I seriously have to ask myself where all the adulation was coming from. Autofocus is fast but not insanely so, image resolution is great, color reproduction is also pretty good, but the software sucks. There are lots of artifacts and distortion because of over-sharpening and noise-reduction algorithms and I never actually liked pictures that weren't taken under the best of conditions. After the 3rd one, I got my money back and chose a Nexus 5 instead. That one I really liked a lot - decent camera (definitely better low-light results than the S5, as long as you shoot in HDR+ mode, not as good in good conditions, though), lightning fast, no-BS OS. The reason why I couldn't hang on to the N5 was battery life: it just never lasted through the day. I ended up selling that one a few weeks ago and got the G3. That one turned out to be the biggest mess of them all - absolutely horrific software problems. The phone shut itself down about 5 times a day (it probably overheats - I don't know), and was even laggier than the S5 - should have known better as the demo unit in the store already lagged a lot, but I figured it was just getting too much abuse. Anyway, the G3 went back within a week.

Completely out of options, I ended up getting the M8, which I had never even considered because of the camera reviews and the fact that 4 mp just aren't enough for me (and yes, I am one of those people who occasionally prints posters from my mobile phone pictures if the phone was the only camera I had along to get that special snapshot). I can honestly tell you that, except for the camera (which produces great results in terms of IQ but doesn't have enough resolution for my taste), the M8 is hands down the best Android phone you can buy at the moment. The build is even better than the iPhone 5S's, it's lightning fast under any condition (which I still can't believe, considering the fact that it has almost exactly the same innards as the S5, which is a laggy mess), the UI is unobtrusive and if you don't like it, you can replace it with Google Launcher (or any other 3rd party launcher) now within a few seconds. HTC concentrated on the features that matter (double-tap to wake etc.) and are useful. Again, the only thing I don't like about it is the camera. It's not bad per se and if you don't print your pictures, it's actually recommendable. The autofocus is the fastest of all the handsets I tested (you might want to turn of face-recognition, though, if you take pictures of more than one person as it seems to focus on the faces it likes best rather than on those you want it to focus on :), color rendition is fabulous, low-light performance is excellent if you choose the correct modes. The only area where it lacks is the resolution - 4 megapixels really aren't enough for today's standards and will limit you in terms of being able to crop and zoom.

Reception-wise it's decent but not great. It seems to be somewhat hesitant to switch to 4G networks if 2.5G (EDGE) offers better reception. That has been the case with every HTC phone I've ever had - I guess HTCs algorithm favors battery life over data speeds. I just wish you could manually tune that. Of the phones I mentioned above, the Nexus 5 had the best reception by far and held on to any 3G or 4G signal it could find, but I'm guessing this was partly why the battery never lasted through the day.

If the camera is what you use most on your phone, you might also want to consider switching to WP8 rather than Android, btw. My wife has the new Lumia 930 (which is the European version of the Icon) and that camera is pretty darn great (albeit with a very slow AF). I also really like the OS - once Flipboard and Feedly have been released on WP8, I might consider that platform for my next phone.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza