Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Low call volume

Hi guys. Just got my new M8 on Friday, and the only problem I seem to be having is when I am using the phone as a phone (no bluetooth, just phone to ear), I can barely hear what the other person is saying. The volume is just way too low. Volume sliders are all set to max, and using the volume up button during the call doesn't help. Call volume is ok over my bluetooth, though I wish it could be a bit louder. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Low call volume

Quote Originally Posted by AngusATAT View Post
    Hi guys. Just got my new M8 on Friday, and the only problem I seem to be having is when I am using the phone as a phone (no bluetooth, just phone to ear), I can barely hear what the other person is saying. The volume is just way too low. Volume sliders are all set to max, and using the volume up button during the call doesn't help. Call volume is ok over my bluetooth, though I wish it could be a bit louder. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    I feel the call volume can be a bit low at times, but I'm always able to hear. However, when on speaker phone, the call volume is WAY to low for speakers it has. I feel there can definitely be some software tweaks for the in call volume.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I feel the call volume can be a bit low at times, but I'm always able to hear. However, when on speaker phone, the call volume is WAY to low for speakers it has. I feel there can definitely be some software tweaks for the in call volume.
    The speakerphone volume, to me, is ok. Could be louder, though. I've ended up having to use it sometimes when on a call because I can barely hear the other person with the phone to my ear.

I've gotta be missing something simple. That's usually how it works for me, lol.

The speakerphone volume, to me, is ok. Could be louder, though. I've ended up having to use it sometimes when on a call because I can barely hear the other person with the phone to my ear.

I've gotta be missing something simple. That's usually how it works for me, lol.
    I doubt you're missing something. It could just be way too low.

Thanks!
    Interesting,
    These phones are known to have great volume because of their big speakers with BEATS. Could it possibly be weak signal strength? Does this always happen?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by PainFX View Post
    Interesting,
    These phones are known to have great volume because of their big speakers with BEATS. Could it possibly be weak signal strength? Does this always happen?
    Always, even with full bars and 4G.

ROM
    MOAR 9

This phone doesn't have Beats, it has Boom sound, but anyway did you slide the phone around on your ear? The speaker is located off center more to the left, above the wifi or GPS icon, could be your ear isn't aligned with it because mine is loud and clear, I have it turned up halfway.

Always, even with full bars and 4G.
    That device has problems then. Time to get it replaced.

Thanks!
    Like SuperDave said the speaker is positioned and pointed toward the top left of the phone. You may find positioning your ear somewhat above the left corner of the phone will give you the best sound reception while in a call.

Aside from that there are a couple of other things you could try:

-----
    A few people with in call volume problems have mentioned that they had to hold their phones away from them while adjusting in call volume (it didn't change when next to their ears. It may be related to the automatic pickup/answer call feature that occurs if you have it enable to answer a call when you bring it to your ear). After making a call you can try holding it away from you while adjusting.

------

The below applies to the m8 Harmon/Kardon edition and was a recommended solution for in-call volume issues for that phone, but may work on your phone too.

Perform a soft reset.

A soft reset restarts your phone and does not erase any of your content or data.
    Press and hold the Power key and Volume Up key for 10 seconds.
    Your HTC One® M8 Harman/Kardon® edition
    restarts.

------

You can access a HTC diagonstics menu by typing the following into your phone when at a dialing screen:

*#*#3424#*#*

The first test in the audio test option plays from the in call speaker. If the audio test seems louder than your in-call volume then you can rule out the speaker itself being the issue.

I'd ignore Pain's recommendation. In call volume has no relation to mobile data speed. If you try to get a replacement phone you risk getting it replaced with a worse phone. If you're happy with everything else about your phone (aside from this volume issue which is highly unlikely to be a defect) then don't risk it.
    Android systems: HTC One M8 phone & Archos 80 Titanium Internet Tablet

Interesting,
    Please don't make suggestions when you have no idea what you're talking about. Low signal does not make volume low. I mean, we're you REALLY suggesting that?

Do you also scream at the top of your voice when someone just doesn't understand English?

Bottom line, phone ear piece is way way way too low. It's a pandemic problem among most phones today. Extremely frustrating.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah, a design problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_NYC View Post
    Please don't make suggestions when you have no idea what you're talking about. Low signal does not make volume low. I mean, we're you REALLY suggesting that?

Do you also scream at the top of your voice when someone just doesn't understand English?

Bottom line, phone ear piece is way way way too low. It's a pandemic problem among most phones today. Extremely frustrating.

Are you mad because I said that? lol

It's just an opinion.