Advice, please

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So, I own my M8 and was wondering, are there any advantages to switch from ATT to T-Mobile? I know phones sometimes have different advantages on different carriers. Just curious. I can get the contract buyout for switching to T-Mobile but don't want the headache if it isn't going to be an advantage.

Posted via Android Central App

Bassbiker

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
The grass is rarely greener on the other pasture. Only the size of the pasture changes. I think it's like anything else there are trade offs. Each carrier has pros and cons and they are usually specific to your location. I guess the only way to really find out is to take the leap of faith and give it a shot and see if it benefits you.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, the only major advantage is price. I'm currently on the $30 Walmart plan with my M8 that's $55 cheaper than the discounted AT&T plan I'm getting rid of. That works out to a new flagship phone every year if I want.

Two minor advantages: speed and Wifi calling. So far in my 3 months on T-Mobile, when I get LTE on T-Mobile, it is many times faster than AT&T, sometimes an order of magnitude faster (say 3mbps vs 30mbps on T-Mobile!). The caveat is that I get LTE in fewer locations than AT&T and sometimes in the middle of big stores like Target, I lose reception altogether.

T-Mobile M8 has Wifi calling which theoretically works better if you have spotty cell reception. Also supposedly allows free calls from overseas (haven't tried myself yet). In reality, Wifi calling hasn't worked for me too often, sometimes it just makes a call then hangs up. It also interferes with ISIS mobile payment because it deactivates the SIM, rendering the security feature unusable.

Just reread your message and Wifi calling might be irrelevant anyway.

If you want to try it out and you have access to an unlocked phone, one option is to get the $30 Walmart plan and see how the coverage goes for you.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The grass is rarely greener on the other pasture. Only the size of the pasture changes. I think it's like anything else there are trade offs. Each carrier has pros and cons and they are usually specific to your location. I guess the only way to really find out is to take the leap of faith and give it a shot and see if it benefits you.
Each individual will have varying results. For me the grass was greener and the pasture is the same size.
I left Sprint 2 months before T-Mobile switched on LTE.. Even before LTE the network was faster then what i ever had with Sprint. With LTE i can say its way faster. I also carry a work phone (AT&T) and a few times i have had to go to my personal phone to finish a call.
I rarely travel, i live in a big city so for ME it made sense. I also am saving about 20 bucks a month so theres that too.
But the OP does not live or work where i do so my suggestion, like icwhatudidthere mentioned, grab a prepaid TMO for 30 bucks and find a TMO branded phone and test out the network.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Each individual will have varying results. For me the grass was greener and the pasture is the same size.
I left Sprint 2 months before T-Mobile switched on LTE.. Even before LTE the network was faster then what i ever had with Sprint. With LTE i can say its way faster. I also carry a work phone (AT&T) and a few times i have had to go to my personal phone to finish a call.
I rarely travel, i live in a big city so for ME it made sense. I also am saving about 20 bucks a month so theres that too.
But the OP does not live or work where i do so my suggestion, like icwhatudidthere mentioned, grab a prepaid TMO for 30 bucks and find a TMO branded phone and test out the network.

I was thinking I would take my own device, if I switched. I am just wondering if it is worth the hassle. I don't have much problem with ATT, nowwww... When I started our account, in the first month, there were problems upon problems upon problems. Bill wasn't right, customer Service agents were not giving correct information, 'accidental' disconnect of an active phone line when I returned an unused device within the first 14 days, etc.... it was just really a mess. I want the most for my money, as anyone else would, of course!

Posted from my HTC M8 via Android Central App