Taking photos during video recording = unreadable photos & video

SteveLHodgson

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I've just come back from a friend's wedding and am horrified to find that most of the videos and photos I took can't be read.

Videos and photos taken on their own are perfectly fine, but when recording quite a few of the videos, I also was simultaneously taking photos. It is these photos and videos that now can't be read. The phone didn't mention any problem when recording them, I only found out when I tried to review them later. The files take up the amount of storage space I would expect them to. They were also sent automatically to Google Backup in the same unusable state. It's a pretty desperate situation. Can anyone suggest a way to read these files, or are they complete writeoffs?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I've just come back from a friend's wedding and am horrified to find that most of the videos and photos I took can't be read.

Videos and photos taken on their own are perfectly fine, but when recording quite a few of the videos, I also was simultaneously taking photos. It is these photos and videos that now can't be read. The phone didn't mention any problem when recording them, I only found out when I tried to review them later. The files take up the amount of storage space I would expect them to. They were also sent automatically to Google Backup in the same unusable state. It's a pretty desperate situation. Can anyone suggest a way to read these files, or are they complete writeoffs?

Have you tried connecting your phone to a pc and seeing if you can open the files that way?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have. No such luck.

I'm going to tell you some very bad news, as we had this happen with my wife's S4 - I'm assuming you're using an SD card, right? Then something happened on the way from your phone taking the pictures/videos and copying them to the SD cards. They've now become corrupted and won't be able to be used or recovered.

Like I said, this happened with my wife's S4. She took a bunch of pics and couldn't figure out why her phone was dying so quickly (like 4 hours from a full charge) and was scalding hot - and she was completely unable to get her Gallery to work. Turns out her G+ was trying to force upload all of these corrupted files. After lots of cussing and trying to figure out what was going on, I finally figured out that she had some corrupted photos and videos. I had to remove her SD card and put in my laptop to see if anything was usable. The pictures that were corrupted had to be deleted. Some of the videos were still partially usable, as only sections were corrupted. I was able to cut out the corrupted portion and splice the video back together to get them to work. But I trashed that SD card after that and got her a new one. Since then, not one issue. It was so bad that when opening up the corrupted file on my laptop, it would cause my whole computer to crash and have to be rebooted. And I understand your pain here - we lost some pics and videos of my daughter on her first birthday, as well as some with her 96 year old Great Grandmother. Sucks. But this is one of the reasons why Google isn't a fan of SD cards. It's much more volatile than people think.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
That's what I'd feared. I'm going to ask HTC if they recommend any particular SD cards. Thanks for trying to help, guys.
Yeah, sorry about that. It's a crappy situation. I've been there. Just make sure you have a good quality Class 10 card, and you should be ok. We haven't had any issues since I got rid of that card. For what it's worth, that was a Class 4 card that screwed up.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon