Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default M8 vs lg g2. Help me choose

Got the g2. Getting a new from insurance because the got a water damage. But I cant decide whether to keep the g2 or sell and buying the HTC m8.
    Any who have had both who can give some comparisons regarding which is better in what.
    My main focus is battery duration, browsing the Internet and music. Never playing games. Sometimes tho watching movies or series on Netflix.
    But I really can't decide whether keeping the g2 or trying the m8.
    So hopefully someone here can give a few helpful comments on my issue.

Many thanks from lean olsen

Sendt fra min GT-I9505 med Tapatalk

Default Re: M8 vs lg g2. Help me choose

Quote Originally Posted by Blix79 View Post
    Got the g2. Getting a new from insurance because the got a water damage. But I cant decide whether to keep the g2 or sell and buying the HTC m8.
    Any who have had both who can give some comparisons regarding which is better in what.
    My main focus is battery duration, browsing the Internet and music. Never playing games. Sometimes tho watching movies or series on Netflix.

Keep the g2. M8 isn,t much better.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

But still better or?

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

From what reviews I have seen the battery life is better on the m8.

I don't know a lot about the g2 other than it's a good phone.

The m8 is newer,and if I was needing a different phone,would get it over the g2 just for that alone.....but with all of the great features it has comparing them makes it a no brainer to me.

Are you dissatisfied with the g2 ?

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

I got the G2 last November and the M8 a month ago for the ability to unlock and s-off. Both are great devices. One of the most noticeable differences to me is the smoothness and stabily of the M8 and Sense over the LG UI. I consider myself a power user and I've literally had no issues with the M8 thermal throttling or freezing. The G2 has a tendancy to run hotter when pushed so you will see throttling and drops in frame rate or stutters in the UI with the stock launcher. But there are plenty of custom mods/roms/tweaks you can do once rooted to virtually eliminate those issues. Your choice will come down to what you want from a device.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Regarding the g2 and getting hot actually happened a lot on my g2. But I thought it wasn't an important issue. But know I think about it my old Optimus g did the same. But never had the experience on other carriers like htc and Samsung

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by MDMcAtee View Post
    From what reviews I have seen the battery life is better on the m8.

Are you dissatisfied with the g2 ?

Not disappointed about the g2. But had some issues about software updates. Can't understand why lg is so slow regarding updates. For example the kitkat update. Their first respond was the g2 had no need for it, and if one wanted the kitkat buy a new phone. But gladly they did. But I don't think they will put L on sadly

Go to the store and play with each device extensively. Read through the message board threads to look for potential issues. Then make a choice. Nobody else can make this choice for you. Have you not already checked out each device hands on?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Nreeldeep View Post
    Go to the store and play with each device extensively. Read through the message board threads to look for potential issues. Then make a choice. Nobody else can make this choice for you. Have you not already checked out each device hands on?
    I've had the g2. Haven't tried the m8 for more than a few minutes. Gonna give it a try at the shop.
    Just wanted to know if people had some small informations if they have had both. Not everything one can learn from trying it out in the shop. Usually people give good small reviews if they have had both or one of each

I looked at both, the speakers are awesome on the m8 for non headphones. Watching streams, listening to movies or music is much better on the 8

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

I have the G2 and love the battery life. It does all that I need it to do with no problem. What I really really love is the camera! The pic and video quality are amazing to me and I love LG's software compared to moto and Samsung, haven't ever had a htc phone. I have checked out the M8, not crazy about the size / look of it, but didnt really play around with it much. Good luck whatever you decide.

Based on what you plan to use it for the m8 should have the advantage. Battery life on the m8 is good/great, and if you have any carrier other than Verizon you'll have the ability to use Extreme Power Saving Mode which will give you a huge amount of battery life. How much you get will depend on how much time you spend doing what (the more you use media (music and videos) the faster it will drain), what background apps you have running (like sync, backup and update apps), and your settings (the higher the brightness the quick it will drain). On Verizon (missing Extreme Power Saving) I get 2-3 days use per charge. Browsing the Internet is likely to be similar with both phones. The m8 may have a slight advantage when it comes to launching the browser and switching tabs as both are instant and lag free on the m8. The m8 have a significant advantage when it comes to both music and videos due to the dual front facing speakers that provide both high volume and clarity.

If you're happy with your g2 experience then it will be less work to keep it, but if you're unhappy with your g2 experience then give the m8 at try. You could always buy an m8, try it out for a while, and then if you like sell the g2 after you've determined you like the m8 better. If you use the m8, for a while, but find yourself missing the g2 (if you haven't sold it yet) you can then switch back and sell the m8 instead.
    Android systems: HTC One M8 phone & Archos 80 Titanium Internet Tablet
    wase4711 likes this.

I've had my M8 for 26 days and I'm already sending it to HTC for warranty. I love the phone but it is a weird issue. The microphone only works properly on speaker phone and is terrible in normal use. I read a few others have had the exact issue. I went through HTC to use my unit and not just get someone's problem.

Back to my G2 for now. Better battery life than M8. I work for VzW and honestly it's such a close comparison. Going back temporarily I've noticed the speaker sounds terrible however I can get tons more screen time and battery life from my old G2. I would compare G3 and M8.

Posted via Android Central App

In all fairness, as MDMcAtee pointed out, the M8 is a newer phone and if you had to compare to anything, the G3 would be a more appropriate comparison. The G3 improves on the G2 in many ways, rather than go through a litany of the differences and improvements here, check this comparison that was done on here by Alex Dobie and other Android Central editors on Jul 28. Very interesting reading and informative comparisons that will help you decide. An absolute must and unbiased article for anyone trying to decide between these awesome phones:http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g3-versus-htc-one-m8^IV

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I had the g2 for a while and liked it a lot, nice styling, good battery life. I've switched to Nex5 but still miss g2 for some things.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Not disappointed about the g2. But had some issues about software updates. Can't understand why lg is so slow regarding updates. For example the kitkat update. Their first respond was the g2 had no need for it, and if one wanted the kitkat buy a new phone. But gladly they did. But I don't think they will put L on sadly

Waiting for updates on carrier issued phones is always a hit and miss proposition to some extent.

Battery over heating is either a software or firmware problem. If you have it it's not the best for the phone.

It doesn't matter who or what you go with,Fontana phone that works for yourself,not what isn't out yet.

If you have a need to have the latest,go with a developer type phone like a GPE addition or a nexus or even a one plus CM type phone.

Next inline would be for you to learn how to root your phone so you can easily get the latest Rom and features that you want.

Outside of this I have always found it is better to wait till others have jumped just to be sure my daily driver isn't going to have issues.

Every oem has issues with their phones and people hit forum first to post about it and find solutions for it.

I can say my m8 has been flawless so far in all aspects.

Hope you find what you're looking for

Go to YouTube. There are lots of comparison videos!
    ALL ANDROIDS: LG G2 4.4.2///Samsung Note 3 4.4.2///Samsung Note 8 4.2.2 N-5110 rooted///Samsung S3 i747, 4.1.1 rooted

If you can get a m8, why not get the g3?

Posted via the Android Central App
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Machoua Yang View Post
    If you can get a m8, why not get the g3?

Love the design the m8. Not that big a fan of plastic back covers tbh.
    Plus from what I've read g3 got some problems with the screen draining the battery fast. And battery is a big issue for. Biggest reason choosing either to keep my g2 or get a m8.
    So if I can live with the extra size the m8 and it lies well in my hands I think I'm going to make this switch to m8

Do it! You will not regret.

Thanked by:
    Blix79 
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

But all of u. Thanks a lot all.
    Narrowed it down to m8 if it's fits my hand. Should be a bit taller than g2. So this is going to be only reason I might keep the g2

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I'm looking at upgrading, same 2 phones are in my sights. Like you, I want something to fit my hand. Tried both units at the local store and really leaning towards the m8. The texture, size, and slight curve in the back fits my hand nicely. Not to mention the metal feels more substantial and less flimsy to me.

I have them both and can't make up my mind. So basically I use one for a month or so,deactivate and turn other back on. I also had the g3 ,but like the the g2 and m8 better.

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Love the design the m8. Not that big a fan of plastic back covers tbh.
    Plus from what I've read g3 got some problems with the screen draining the battery fast. And battery is a big issue for. Biggest reason choosing either to keep my g2 or get a m8.
    So if I can live with the extra size the m8 and it lies well in my hands I think I'm going to make this switch to m8

I get full days of heavy use with around 6h screen on, on a daily base on my g3.

When you read the forums you will always see troubles. My g3 is flawless till now.

Posted with the speed of my G3

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

I own both and go back and forth constantly. They offer different things.

M8 has the best screen to my eyes in terms of whites, saturation, etc. Speakers are great for casual listening to videos when I don't want to always wear headphones. I enjoy blinkfeed I like Sense 6 and the fonts. It is super fast as there are no transition animations so everything is instantaneous. It is my favorite phone experience.

But.... G2 has the larger edge to edge screen, lightweight, fits great in the hand and not slippery like the M8 which is awkward. Battery life is comparable on both, G2 might be better, but a tiny tweak in screen brightness can dramatically change battery life, so who knows? I would say they are pretty close.

Bottom line, I find myself taking the G2 with me outside the house because of easy of handling and larger screen at a glance. In the house, I tend to pick up the usually sim-less M8 because I like the M8 experience better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast