Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cannot Clear Browser History

Hi,

This may not be strictly the correct area of the site to post this in but I have tested on other android devices (Nexus 7 & Nexus 5) and the bug dosn't happen.

Basically chrome as you all know came uninstalled on my device, meaning that without root, I cant uninstall it. In chrome, If I navigate to the chrome history page, there is a button at the bottom which says "Clear Browsing Data...". If I click on that and tick all the checkboxes, upon clicking clean, it appears to work. chrome://cache is empty. However, if I then navigate back to history, all my websites are still listed, the history hasn't been removed. I have tried uninstalling the updates and it happens both in V35 &V36 of the chrome browser. The only way I have found to remove the history is to go to the app info in the settings app and click clear cache.

To me something seems broken, but only on my HTC.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how can I fix it? Could someone with a HTC One M8 please attempt to clear their browser history to see if you are also affected?

Thanks, Ian

Default Re: Cannot Clear Browser History

If you really want a browser that doesn't record your data, use orweb and orbot. Or you could just stop looking at stuff your not supposed to!!! Hahaha.

Posted via Android Central App
    Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom

Sent from my s-off'd, unlocked and rooted BAMF M8 with the viper venom

That's odd. You're absolutely sure you have the Clear History checkbox checked? What happens if you only check that checkbox?

I believe it clears it from your phone but not your google account and you must get on a desktop or chrome os machine to clear it

Posted via Android Central App

It works on my Nexus 5. If I clear the History, then when I go immediately to the History page, it's blank. However, since Chrome is syncing to my Google account, it does start accumulating web history from my Chrome surfing I do on any device. So ever since I cleared the History on my phone's Chrome about 30 minutes ago, I haven't touched the phone. However, I have been surfing the web on my Chromebook. When I just went back to my phone's Chrome and checked the History, it lists the websites I've visited on Chrome ever since the History was cleared.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    That's odd. You're absolutely sure you have the Clear History checkbox checked? What happens if you only check that checkbox?
    Absolutely sure. If only the clear browser history checkbox is ticked, nothing happens. It appears to be cleaning, (Everything goes into its disabled greyed out state) but navigating back to the history page, everything is still listed.

I also hate the idea of google having access to everything about me, so I am not signed into a google account for the history to sync from a different device.

UPDATE: I have found what is causing the issue. If i enable google search history in the google settings android app, I can delete my history in google chrome. Having this option disabled, or paused as it appears in the settings app stops chrome from deleting the history.
    Last edited by IanCaunce; 08-18-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    Thanked by: