is it really necessary to buy a protective case?

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes yes... And yes. Get a case. This is the only phone I would REQUIRE a case. The back aluminum dents very very easily. If you accidentally put keys in the same pocket, it will dent the back side. If you like the form factor that much, get carbon fiber skinning. Either way, protect this phone.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am careful and don't use a case. It seems like a shame to do so, it's quite beautiful and feels wonderful in hand as is.

Yeah, I'd feel bad using a case. But you can at least use one for when going outdoors, and take it off when indoors. You could even get a clear one if you still want to show off the device's looks ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The M8 is a lot more slippery than the M7 from what I have heard because of the sides not having the plastic. The added weight and size actually make it more prone to damage since it hits the ground harder than a lighter, smaller phone would. And of course, the metal still gets dinged and scratched fairly easily, so I'd still recommend a case if you tend to be more clumsy with your devices ;)

Its aluminium design makes it tougher :D and the bezels makes the screen less prone to smashes.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes yes... And yes. Get a case. This is the only phone I would REQUIRE a case. The back aluminum dents very very easily. If you accidentally put keys in the same pocket, it will dent the back side. If you like the form factor that much, get carbon fiber skinning. Either way, protect this phone.

Cases?????
Think about it. htc made a sleek aluminium unibody phone for you to enjoy.
And if you always use a case you wont ever see the design.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

And my iphone 4S was is 100% mint condition when i sold it.
And i NEVER used a case and there where no cracks/scratches.
And id never put my phone in a pocket with sand or keys earphones or any thing like that.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
With the metal body, one might think a protective case would be less important. Especially since it would add to the weight/size.

But then there's the screen. It's still vulnerable.

It made me think the E8 might be a better choice (if, you can get it).

Do you think it's important to have a protective case for your phone? What kind did you decide on?

And to everyone here htc advange or however you spell that lol :D os there for free screen replacement :D

Willhart Monschauer

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Before I switched to Android, I had a Lumia 920 for a year. Never had a case for the phone. When I bought my HTC One M8, it didn't have a blemish on it (the Lumia). Before the Lumia, I had an iPhone 4. Again, no case was used. After a year, I sold it to Gazelle in pristine condition. That being said:
I know I'm flirting with disaster. I'm very careful with my phone. I always place it in my front right pocket, with no other items inside. Also, after the iPhone 4, I decided that I would not buy flimsy, fragile phones. I feel that a case covers what are now, works of art. It adds bulk that diminishes one of the reasons you bought the phone in the first place. That being said, I do realize that there are people that must use a case. Whether it is the environment the phone is exposed to, or the owner being clumsy. I never criticize those who have a case...It's just not for me.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I go naked. Naked previously with the M7 and now with the M8. The M7 collected one scuff on a corner caused by me doing something like i was 20 years younger.

But I did add nerdly bumpers near the camera to prevent lens scratching 'cause I would be very upset if I messed that up.

Willhart Monschauer

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Just a few hours after I posted about how I don't use cases, my phone took a fall! I was taking my family to a park...Usually, I drive my SUV, but this time my wife drove. As I was opening the passenger door to get out, my phone fell out of my pocket and fell 1 meter onto the gravel, on its back (gun metal grey). Fortunately, there was not a blemish on the phone. I need to be more cautious!

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Just a few hours after I posted about how I don't use cases, my phone took a fall! I was taking my family to a park...Usually, I drive my SUV, but this time my wife drove. As I was opening the passenger door to get out, my phone fell out of my pocket and fell 1 meter onto the gravel, on its back (gun metal grey). Fortunately, there was not a blemish on the phone. I need to be more cautious!

I have done that a few times with my old phone, HTC Hero. That thing was a tank. Luckily I haven't dropped my M7 yet. I've had it since October. But of course I just jinxed myself. Lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech